YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Technical Diving/Instruction

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Robert 
#1 ·
Imported post

Hi all,
Has anyone got any experience of doing any trimix diving in the Red Sea - Sharm, Hurghada or further South? I read Mark's report on Dahab with interest, but would prefer dropping off a boat to shore-diving.
If you know of any good facilities please get in touch.
Thanks

Robert

#2 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Robert @ Feb. 04 2004,19:13)]Hi all,
Has anyone got any experience of doing any trimix diving in the Red Sea - Sharm, Hurghada or further South? I read Mark's report on Dahab with interest, but would prefer dropping off a boat to shore-diving.
If you know of any good facilities please get in touch.
Thanks

Robert
I might be wrong but it would have to be a day boat as I dont know any that do mix fills on board.

Mark Andrews would be a good person to contact. I understand he does mix trainig our of Sharm.

ATB

Mark Chase

#3 ·
Imported post

Contact Explorers Tours (think this is the number 01753 681999) which is where Leigh Cunningham works from, we met him in November and he was quoting $500 for TDI ERD (deep air to 55m) or $1000 for either of the two Trimix courses, entry or advanced.
HTH
Steve

PS Leigh is based in Sharm year round whereas I believe his buddy Mark Andrews is only there for some of the time

#4 ·
Imported post

Hi,

Leigh is a good bloke but a bit of a space monkey. The last ting I heard they were stopping mix diving in Sharm for a while, not certain but a rumour. Steve is right about Explorers, they are Ocean College in Sharm, also Red Sea College in Sharm / Hurgada. The only other one I know is Poseidon Divers in Dahab.

Andrew

#7 ·
Imported post

Hi,

Give this site a look, I took my basic nitrox with Hatem last year, not sure in the cost of the courses but he's a nice bloke and hugely experienced, Could be worth a look.

Divers Lodge

They operate out of the Intercontinental Hotel (if you get a chance to stay here it's the mutts nuts)

#8 ·
Imported post

Errrr minimum requirment for TDI entry level Trimix is TDI Advanced Nitrox and TDI Deco Procedures

I think going streight for full Trimix you also need TDI extended range but its cheeper to do entry level than move up to full Mix

I am full TDI Trimix and I have never done any thing past AOW PADI and a couple of silly specialiatys Deep and Drift

Mark Chase.

#9 ·
Imported post

There are quite a few tech dive centres in Dahab.  A couple of them have ribs, too, if you want to fall off a boat.  I've not used any them as I don't do that sort of thing but I've been to Dahab a lot and there plenty of techy types there.

Nick

#10 ·
Imported post

We met Leigh in Nov as Steve said.  His advice was to do TDI Exd. Range and then go straight for the TDI Adv Trimix.  This maybe ok for warmwater diving in the Red Sea but not really a route I liked the sound of for the waters around the UK.  The other route would be to do Entry level Trimix and then full trimix but, with Leighs prices, this was more expensive (related to the cost of He in Egypt I think).

He can, if you want, help you to organise trips based solely around Trimix boat dives.

#11 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (andyp @ Feb. 04 2004,21:10)]
Leigh is a good bloke but a bit of a space monkey.
How's the saying go "Don't judge a book by its' cover".  
I've known Leigh for a fair while now, done a few courses and some excellent fun diving with him.
If you want the best and most reliable check him out first - be warned though he will make you work for it.
He might be a bit difficult to track down at the moment, when I spoke to him last he was off to Thailand for February - bit of a religious thing - and I know he's getting pretty booked up.
Terry Johnson is the canines danglies and did some good courses out of Divers Lodge last year but I'm not sure if he is currently doing anything.

Ocean College is a top TDI facility and as far as I know anyone there will see you right.

If I can help PM me with your details and I'll willingly pass them on.

#12 ·
Imported post

I dont see an advantage for someone like Rob doing the ER. This is basicly planning deep air dives down to 60m and using Nitrox for deco?
?? Surley this went out with the Arc.

ER has to all intent and perposes been replaced by the far more usefull Entry LEvel Trimix that will allow you to dive Normoxic (16%) 02 trimix with as much HE as you like. The Cert is to 17% but they alow a 1% margin for mix error

So its Advanced Nitrox -Deco Procedures - Normoxic Trimix and Hypoxic (FULL) Trimix

The TDI ER book is well out of date writen in 1999 and IMHO harks to a diferent era when 60m air dives were acceptable.
They mention Trimix in the trainig manual in passing but some of the comments are a bit out of date, like dont switch from Helium to air because of isobaric counter deffusion. If this were a probelm I would be dead by now as I regularly switch from 45% He to 32% Nitrox.

Just an opinion

ATB

Mark Chase

#13 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote (andyp @ Feb. 04 2004,21:10)

Leigh is a good bloke but a bit of a space monkey.

How's the saying go "Don't judge a book by its' cover".  
Not knocking him, as I said he is a good bloke and a very good instructor, I did the basic nitrox with him a fair while ago and he was great, but if you know him you will know exactly what I mean.

Andrew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.