YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi

I am looking into moving towards gaining some tek diving qualifications, currently I am certified to dive to 40m and use nitrox from 21% upto 40% through padi ( rescue diver ) . My main reasons are that I would like to use staged decompression and use higher nitrox blends for these deco stops, I like wreck diving and so these along with advanced wreck skills and possibly a deeper depth rating would help me get the most out of my diving. But I cannot decide which agency would suit me better as both tdi and iantd offer courses which cover these things, later I would want to progress onto using a rebreather ( probably inspiration ) though again this can be gained through either, is there anyone out there with any feelings on the subject ? If so any help would be apreciated.
  I know there is also DSAT though it seems a little more limited in the choice of courses on offer.

thanks
James

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>In my opinion, and I'm sure most would agree, the agency is far less important than the instructor.

I'd suggest you speak to people who are local to you to find out who they used - there must be some on here.

Me - I'm South so can't help. I'm told Andy (Dalesdiver) is very very good - only ever heard good things in fact.

Juz

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

Hi

I'm curious which cert has got you the 40M max depth, is that from the EANx course? or have you done Deep as well?

Honestly just curious as I'm in a similar position myself (in fact doing my TDI basic Nitrox on Thrusday).

Cheers

Conor

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

I have 5 specialities including nitrox, deep and wreck, the deep speciality takes me to 40m, I have spoken to a centre near me that conducts tdi training and have been told as I have padi nitrox then they would accept that as equivelent to the tdi basic nitrox, so I could move straight onto the advanced nitrox course if I wished. Just thought I would mention - you said you had similar qualifications to me and were about to take the tdi basic nitrox ( might save you some hassle )

·
5,997 Posts
Imported post

Thanks for that.

Similar, but not the same
, opted to do the TDI Nitrox course instead of the PADI. All I can say about TDI is that I like the style of their manuals so far, but I think most on this board will say that its the quality of the instructor (not the agency) that determines which is the better line to follow.

Good luck

Conor

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

I totally accept that, I had a very good instructor throughout most of my padi training and it made the whole thing a lot more enjoyable.
  I think what I am looking for is not only the quality of the courses but also where they are recognized, I just came back from a diving trip to key largo in Florida and over there it seemed that IANTD was known everywhere but if you mentioned TDI then you were greated with confused looks in some places, do you what I mean ?

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

I am sure people get too fixed on the "certified max depth" - your experience and actual diving is what should be determining what your max depth is and not a cert card.

For example, as I got more experienced and started diving a bit deeper I found I was pushing my safety margins diving a 15+pony and so moved to a twin set. Then I found that to get any bottom time I needed to do some deco and so I started looking at adv nitrox and deco courses.

It just sounds as if there is a tendancy to let your diving be lead by the cert level rather than finding the diving you are getting into warrants more skills than you have.

Also, ta for the chance for me to talk abt me again - one subject I love.  

·
5,997 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jam56 @ Mar. 29 2004,16:04)]  I think what I am looking for is not only the quality of the courses but also where they are recognized,
I see your point.

THe more experienced guys will give you an official answer, but I guess my 2p would be that, although they may not know a particular agency, they will be able to find out the equivalence of your qualifications quite easily. Its probably best to get the best training you can....don't know if that makes sense?

·
5,997 Posts
Imported post

Finless,

good points, I think I agree that the diving you are doing should determine the training you require, but I think we were just discussing what the certs were, rather than the motivations behind doing them, if that makes sense?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

I think I am letting the diving I like warrant the extra training, for instance while on holiday I went diving on a wreck which lay in 40m of water with the main deck at around 30 - 33m which is where I spent my time, I had a look around the outside of the ship and we entered some "outside" overhead areas on the main deck. But I found my ne deco time simply didnt last long enough and you could see into the corridors of the ship and it was simply full of fish, it would of been nice had I had the extra time denafit of a deco dive to investigate further along with been able to shorted the deco stop by using higher o2 mixes for the required stops. As I said in my original question with regards actual depth - that would simply be an added bonus. What I am getting at is that once I find something interesting I want to be able to enjoy it rather that be "clock watching" due to the short no deco limits that you can sometimes get. Bo you know what I mean ?

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
Imported post

As everyone else has said it's all about the instructor rather than the agency.

As you have already found out most of the agencies have a broadly simillar range of courses. There are some minor differences but nothing really important.

The instructor however can make all the difference. A good instructor will give you a good course no matter what agency and in fact many instructors teach more more than one agency.

Get some recommendations from people who have done the course in your area, talk to the instructors and get a feel for their style and whether you get on with them, then make a decision based on the instructor not the agency.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (camdiver @ Mar. 29 2004,16:14)]Finless,

good points, I think I agree that the diving you are doing should determine the training you require, but I think we were just discussing what the certs were, rather than the motivations behind doing them, if that makes sense?
It certainly does explain it and I apologise for misunderstanding the gist of your post.

I personally took the TDI route for the adv nitrox/deco course - mainly because a group of us did it together and someone else arranged it. Not a very scientific I suppose selection method I suppose.

I certainly enjoyed the course and was (I think) a better diver for having done it.

I think I agree with earlier comments that it really is down to the instructor you get as I would not think (SUPPOSITION AND NOT FACT) there i would be a great deal of difference between the course objectives between the agencies.

I would certainly recommend doing the TDI version (the one I did) and, by supposition, any other equivalent.

I am sure you will really enjoy it when you get round to it.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Well, personally I've got to back the TDI Adv Nitrox I did, very good course.

Instructor in the north your best bet is Andy Hayhurst, great diver and instructor, and works with a very good team of instructors up there to get the best courses going.

Mark has just had some guys come back from his courses very happy, so he's doing something right too! I can't comment as I've not done the course, but if I was down that way I'd be looking to him for training in light of recent reports.

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>As far as qualifications being recognised, ask your main dive certifying body what they recognise and can give equivalent quals for. I did the Adv Nitrox with Digger (hi matey!!) through TDI again with Andy Hayhurst and dalesdivers and then found out that BSAC recognise this qual and I can for a very small fee get the BSAC qual after showing my certification to them.

So do the course you want with the best instructor and then pay your couple of bucks and get the PADI/BSAC equivalent which will be recognised in that remote back water lost in the outer philipine-herbirdean-mongolian-desert. If they dive in deserts these days?

Dave C

·
Registered
99 Posts
Imported post

As others have said, choosing the right instructor is the key.  With that being said, I went the new DSAT route.  The instructor that I was going with was changing over from TDI to DSAT so I signed up for that.

A couple of things that I found out was first, that the DSAT manuals are far better than TDI.  Whichever agency you go with, I'd suggest getting these and reading them.  They are very indepth and detailed.  Also, what you'll find is that the DSAT course is longer than TDI and so is the equivalent to taking the TDI Adv. Nitrox, Deco, and Extended Range all at one time.  After completing the course, we're "certified" up to 100% O2, Deco, and (I know you DIR types are gonna love this....) deep air!  It was a great course but what made it great was the instructor so really look into who's teaching, etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts