YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi Techies,
I have dived for years - all over- but strictly "recreational" level,  non-decompression, single tank - using gear I have picked up from loot, ebay and anywhere it was cheap and useable.  

I was surprised when I had my regs serviced recently and was accused of using museum pieces - Sherwood magnums - which I bought on eBay from the states and imported.  Apart from diving on 3000psi rather than 200bar and having trouble testing and filling my DOT ally tanks, it all seemed perfectly acceptable to me and I took them with no problems to Oban last month for a wonderful trip.
I did feel a bit under-dressed compared with the rest of the party and started to look for replacement kit  - again not new.
So, I have just acquired  a job lot of stuff - including twinned ( but not-manifolded ) 10s and a Dive-Rite wing.
Of course the tanks needed testing and I have been forced to take them apart when I took into shop for same.
So here's the question, is there anything I should know before I try to put them back together ?

I dont have a backplate, but I do have a couple of shallow metal Vs which I gather are used to stop the tanks moving.  I tried putting the tanks on the wing as I would a single tank on my BCD - just using the  two straps, but they did seem inclined to move from side to side.  
The man at the shop suggested I need longer bolts with wingnuts or a SS backplate.  As the tanks are currenty being tested, I cant play/ experiment, but thought one of you would kindly describe - or better still sketch - how they go back together  e.g.
Position of bolts, washers, wingnuts (?)
Where the V bits go.
If it's bolted together, why do I need two "normal" tank straps
Where do I put the wing nuts to allow quick assemby / disassembly
- If I bolt through to holes in the wing, and the bolt heads are inside, then will it all fall to bits when I undo the wing nuts ?
- If I put the wing nuts inside, they'll stick in my back ?

| know you will think these are basic questions - and the shop will probably put me right when I collect tanks after test, but any advise in the meantime gratefuly received.

ps. I acquired a pony as well, but cant bring myself to think about that just yet - as twin 10s, each with its own reg setup seems like more than enough for now.

many thanks for your patience in reading this far,

Bill..............

·
Registered
377 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#728FCE'>Hi Bill

Why don't you give Andy Hayhurst a shout. He is a very helpful chap and will be able to help you out.

His mobile number is 07702 819381.

Good luck
Chris

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Sorry about the confusion, now I have had time to  play and think with all the bits to hand, I think I am OK.  My kit is a Dive-Rite Rec Wing and Tanspak harness.  I downloaded the user manual and discovered that I put the support plates inside by pulling away the padded back pad and fastening  the wing nuts there.

I bought new SS threaded rod, bolts washers etc from a local engineer's suppliers - total cost £2.30, heaven knows how much they would have been at from a dive stockist. I will keep an eye on them to make sure they are stainless enough.

It all feels very secure now.  The only small problem was the distance between bolt certres on the twinning band was too wide for my tanks so I have made them closer together.

I also feel the entire kit is ****** heavy.  Suppose I wil get used in time.  Cant see me donning overhead like I used to.

thanks

Bill..........

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>You can do the overhead with twin 7s if you're careful. Manifolded sets have even got a nice handle at the top for the drop!

I've seen an attempt with 12s which was very entertaining. He ended up kneeling on the floor with tanks above him asking for help. Show-off.

I go my bolts and nuts for about the same money. The CD set with mushroom nuts is £8 I think, but even hat's ridiculous for a few bits of 316.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts