YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm interested in buying one of the Tektite LS5 torches, 9-watt, 750 lumens.

I see they come in two variants, both the same power, just different battery sizes.

The Expedition LS5 which is 3 x C-cell and gives approx 300hrs burn time
or
The Excursion LS5 which is 3 x D-cell and gives approx 400hrs burn time.

They are both the same prices (£115 from Lumb Bros) and i wondered if anybody can give me any hints or tips as to why one would be better than the other? (besides the burn time obviously)

Anyone have any good/bad things to say about these torches?????

thanks

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I've got a pair of the three C cell type. They fit nicely on a harness if that's what you're after. The 3D cell ones may be a bit big for that?

They are brilliant, the more battering they get, the better they look!

I'm presently in mourning as I had a battery leak and fry the innards of one of mine.

Still, that means I can justify the 750 upgrade now! Every cloud and all that!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Thanks, I was wondering about size for the D-cell one... but am also attracted to the extra 100hrs burn time.... hmmmm decisions decisions!!
Extra 100hrs is not a factor I looked at. 300hours? That'll do me for a year and I change the cells annually anyway, after they've been in the torch, they go into toys!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the LS4 C-Cell with the 750 Lumen module upgrade and so far very happy indeed.
the new module has a wider beam than the original 240 lumen but is a massive improvement.
As pasty man said earlier, these torches fit nicely on the harness and are literally bomb proof.
With regards to the burn time! i change my batteries quite often as i like good usable light at all times and it might be a good idea to get rechargeable C Cells.
As for price i don't think you will get much better than £115.00 and for the price its a little cracker.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I managed to loose my darkbuster Junior 12 watt HID so got a 750 lummens Tectite to replace.

The torch is well made and I quite like the feel of it.

The beam is quite wide compared with the darkbuster, which will take a bit of getting used to. I would prefer a narrower beam but for the money was the best on offer, its certainly very bright.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I've got the old 200odd lumens version from a few years ago. I was happy using this for quite a while as my primary light and it was great. I now use a more powerful torch, but this is still my trusty backup.

I see the LS5 has now been upgraded to 750 lumens, so for the price, I'd certainly recommend it :)

Not sure about the c vs d option, but I think C cells are generally easier to find. Plus are you really bothered about an extra 100 hours burn time when you already have 300?!! ;)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I've had the C-cell version for a few years, it was originally a 3w led which I've just upgraded to a 9w version. It's bright enough to use as a primary for UK diving, and very well made.

Burn time for the C-cell is 3 hours btw, not 300 - see here

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's bright enough to use as a primary for UK diving, and very well made.

Burn time for the C-cell is 3 hours btw, not 300
Yes, sorry my mistake... the website lists as 300 mins, not 300 hours as my original post. Doh!

Very pleased to hear it's good enough for a basic UK Primary, this will be my only torch at the moment... so needs to be suitable for UK!!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I thought 300 hours sounded a bit long!

I would've thought they'd work fine with re-chargeables too, then you're sorted.

Be careful with trying to knock a few more quid off - if you're getting it from the Lumb Boys, their service is superb - no need to deny them a few quid for that!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's ok... now purchased, from the Lumbs....... and nice ickle discount given just for being cheeky enough to ask! Thanks Rob!!

One C-Cell LS5 winging it's way, to arrive in next day or two..... awesome!

·
Registered
729 Posts
I've got the C cell version with the upgraded module and there is no doubt it's a great torch, but I struggle to find a use for it in the UK.

It's not really powerful enough as a primary torch and a bit too bulky as a backup attached to a harness, so it only tends to get used now as a holiday torch for any night dives.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mine arrived today (Thanks Lumb Bros) and i'm very impressed with it's build quality!! Can't wait to dive it next Saturday!!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I've got the C cell version with the upgraded module and there is no doubt it's a great torch, but I struggle to find a use for it in the UK.

It's not really powerful enough as a primary torch and a bit too bulky as a backup attached to a harness, so it only tends to get used now as a holiday torch for any night dives.
I'm surprised you think this. Mine is used as a primary in the North Sea down to 40m and it's quite bright enough for me but I don't use it for signalling, I think it might struggle with that. Fits very nicely on my harness when not in use too.

·
Large Member
96 Posts
I have the Expedition LS5 (C Cell), and its a great torch. Fits so very nicely on a harness I am considering another so I balance out. And on its first outing my Greenforce failed so it got a full dives worth of useage !

1 - 20 of 22 Posts