YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I have been given the all clear to get away to the sun in early december by the dragon, sorry my lovley wife,for the last of our leave,but now here lies the problem it has to be hot so my other half can lounge about topping up her tan but it has to be good diving for me all at a reasonable price yes I know I,m asking a lot but any ideas would be helpfull.
I have looked at the red sea and it would seem to be a tad cold in december has any one been in december and is it cold?
As this would be the third break abroad this year I need to stick to a budget of £500 per person so please ideas on a post card sorry replys to this post thanks
nigel

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Nige,

Picked these up at the Dive Show at the weekend, see what ya think - all from Kuoni:

Maldives
7 nights Room & Breakfast on Lohifushi (Standard room) 3* from £599pp. Departures available from 3 November until 29 December 2002.

Mombasa
7 nights Half Board at Diani Sea Resort 3* (Standard room) from £589pp. Departures available from 27 October until 21 December 2002.

Maldives
Full Moon Resort, 4* (Standard Room), 7 nights B&B, for departures between 02 Dec and 15 Dec, £679.00 per person, Tour Ref/Booking Code: L20660

Sharm El Sheikh
Sonesta Club 4* in a Club Room, 7 nights on B&B, for departures between 17th Nov and 15th Dec, £499 per person. Tour Ref/Booking Code: Q1323

For Maldives call TEL: 01306 - 740500
For Mombassa and Sharm call TEL: 01306 - 743000

or visit:

http://www.kuoni.co.uk and check out ther other deals they have. I've used them 8 times and they are the nads. Fiona and I are going on to Maldives on Sunday and the weather will be well warm (lates 80's early 90's) for your Mrs's sun-worshipping.

Hope it helps mate.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

thanks Bren
I will check them out have to give the maldives a miss as we went in may its a long way to go for a week
nigel

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Yeah, thinking along similar lines - short break not too much moola around late december. Thinking: Red Sea or Malta or Canaries, been planing to ask Scuba1 (Michael) about likely water temps, sea state etc etc in the canaries as I believe they are rocked by winter storms in a major way.

·
Killed in the line of Duty. RIP.
173 Posts
Imported post

Go to the Red sea mate, set the wife up with a brolly 5 good books and use her luggage allowance your self, that's what I've done

Will be there 3rd November cost about £500, have a look at <a href="http://www.explorers.co.uk/dive/dive_special_offers.htm.

The" target="_blank">http://www.explorers.co.uk/dive/dive_special_offers.htm.

The</a> Maldives is good, but according to a lad in my office, if your not all inclusive it will cost as much in food as the holiday.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Erm.. think I heard some serious griping re Explorers a while back, you may want to have a look at the bsac travel forumhttp://www.bsacforum.co.uk/forums/travelclub/index.html

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

Hello
Here is the latest wather report; -))
Last year in the first half of december we had airtemp in the upper 20° and watertemps 22° if that is to cold for you.....shame.
There was a storm in Feb this year an did a lot of damage to the capital in the north of the Island. But here in the south we have an average of 6 Days of rain a jear...and had 4 this year so far.....any bets???
The north of the Island ruffers from heavy swell at some days in the winter but the south is usualy ok. And if there is to much of a swell for shoredives we just hop on the rib.
If you have more questins drop me a line.I have a lot of Contacts on the other Islands to if you want Tel.Numbers etc. Just let me know and I`ll help you.

Michael

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

22 deg C eh? pretty much t-shirt diving weather! I'm assuming it won't drop too far below that in later December? .
What kind of beasties can you expect to see around the Canaries? And do you have a web page for your dive operation?
(wasn't sure whether to call it a school, shop or similar)Cheers
Steve W

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

Hi steve
The lowest Watertmp in the last 4 years that i recordet was 18 Deg in Feb.
I am working on a webpage but time is the problem with that as i prefer to go diving in my spare time. But we are getting there i think we are online in 2 weeks.
school sounds nice :)) we do IANTD and PADY.
As Beastees are conserned Here you see rays Angelshark.Parrotfish lots of diferent sspecies of seabream Jacks Tuna Baracuda Octopus and and and.One of my favorites are the Moray eels.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

We thought about going back to Lanzarote for a late Dec/Early Jan break, see how the prices jump, wouldnt be cos the schools have broken for the winter would it, Oh no.
Go before Xmas or pay loads. Lanzarote - I used Calipso, very pleased with them, talk to Pete he owns it (www.calipso-diving.com I think)
Matt

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

Lanzarote has not got a lot of usualy divesites in the winter due to the weather. But one that almost goes all the time is Playa Chica. Problem is every divecentre on the island goes there, so you get more divers than fish in that spot. Watertemps are abut 3 to 5 degrees lower than on the south islands to.

Michael

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

So which island are you based on Michael and what kind of dive packages are on offer?

I'm coming down on the side of the Canaries at the moment for my "sometime around Xmas" break, as I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive and easy to get to (I think I can fly direct from Newcastle) as it's been decided its Pemba/Zanzibar for me & my other half in the summertime, fairly expensive but there's several reasons for going to Africa.
Regards
Steve

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

Ia m based on the south of tenerife. To be exact Torviscas Playa in the Orlando Hotel. I can offer you 10 dives for 250€ that is at the moment 160 puonds.A mix between shore and boatdives.If you book a weeks holiday at the Orlando Hotel all you have to to si get out of bed and i to a wetsuit. Can´t have live easer than that.No extra cost for gear rental etc.
Or just give me a call: 0034 626386684

(Edited by Scuba1 at 8:48 pm on Oct. 21, 2002)

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

I'll have to get looking re flights and accomodation, haven't been on holiday for several years so feeling very rusty about the whole process. No doubt I'll be back in touch soon
Cheers
Steve

1 - 15 of 15 Posts