YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I just visited Scubaborad, the first thing I came across asked for a web site that does temp. conversions from c to F,
what? And these people go diving?

And she got replies pointing to web sites too.

Matt

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

A simple way to get a ball park conversion is to double the Centigrade and add 30 or vice versa. It doesn't work exactly, but who really cares anyway.

Peter

·
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Excuse me fellas you're missing the point, werent we all taught how to do conversions back in school you know multiply by 9 divide by 5 and add 32.

What concerned me was this bimbo needing a web page to convert something this damn simple.

Matt

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ April 15 2003,15:53)]
Excuse me fellas you're missing the point, werent we all taught how to do conversions back in school you know multiply by 9 divide by 5 and add 32.

I must have been off ill that day Matt. Thank's anyway, I'll now remember that and push something useless out the back of my brain.

What concerned me was this bimbo needing a web page to convert something this damn simple.

I'm sure she will be overjoyed with your concern.

Peter

·
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I must have been off ill that day Matt. Thank's anyway, I'll now remember that and push something useless out the back of my brain.
I've been doing that so long I think I've purged all the good stuff out as well.

Matt

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I have to agree with Matt on this. Ron's conversion site is very useful for complicated calculations (I down-loaded it too) but Fahrenheit to Celsius and vice versa is so simple that anybody who is intelligent enough to understand the basic principles of diving should be able to do it.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#333399'>               

That conversion program real handy
Knots to mph always tried to roughly work it out in my head
Now I've got it in front of me.
Cheers Ron.

G

·
Imported post

I wasn't taught anything about Fahrenheit at school or anything at all about imperial systems. i went to school right after the "change" though and I reckon they were trying to stop imperial being used.
Fahrenheit means abosolutely nothing to mean and I have never needed to know yet, never mind convert it!

·
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

Next you lot of youngsters will be telling us you know of Chains, Furlongs, yards, florins and pre-decimal money etc.

Youth of today pah!

Matt

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Cant remember doing temps at school and can't say I need to work them out more reliably that the 'double it and add 32' method... When I dive I use degrees C and usually use Deg F for air temps away from the water. Suits me fine....

Paul  

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Off topic, but all this reminds of something I witnessed during my youth – yes, I did have one. It was just after the London Underground started using the 24-hour clock on its timetables instead of am and pm. An old lady stood and studied the timetable for a while and then turned to a stationman and asked: "Excuse me, what time does the 14.14 train go?"  

1 - 15 of 15 Posts