YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Let me begin this thread by saying that the owners of the dive centre we used, are very, very friendly, open and generous.

Rebecca, (one of the owners) and Michael (one of the Divemasters) really made Jay and i feel welcome.  In fact, they opened their home and dive centre to us in a way not found in very many places in the world.

Right, on arriving at the airport, we were expecting to meet a German chap with a beard, who in turn was looking for two lads from Yorkshire.  We spotted each other right away.  How strange...

After a short ride we got to their house and the first thing to happen was, a beer.  Hmmm, thinks Tanx, this may turn out well.  Very well!!

The following morning found Heads and myself jumping in the car and arriving at South Coast Divers centre, which is located in a hotel, several advantages here methinks, pool, bar, topless ladies!!!

Oh, by the way this is the website link, I suggest you add this to your Favourites list.
South Coast Divers

After getting our kit ready, we hopped in the van for a short ride to Marazula, which is the dive mike uses for checking out the competency of his new divers.  A wise move indeed considering the impression I can give!!!

Now usually these dives can be a little bland as they, by necessity are done in sheltered spots where the dive is very controlled.  Mike uses this spot for his try-dives so to be honest I was not expecting to particularly enjoy this dive.  Wrong.

After jumping in it is immediately apparent that the viz here is VERY good.  And fish abound.  Having swum a mere 5 metres down we came across octopus, sea urchins by the hundreds, anenomes, damselfish, bream, puffer fish and wrasse.

Finning along gently, (as Mike is very much a meanderer!!) we saw rock formations involving swim throughs, small caves and one section which, due to the rushing through of the waves above we dubbed the washing machine!!  A pleasant 45 minutes spent here with a depth of 24 metres.  Lovely relaxing start.

Allow me to now post a few pics of that dive for your enjoyment!!

·
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Imported post

Dive 2 was c arried out at a place called El Paraezo (I hope!) whereupon we followed a fault in the sea bed hoping to meet a stingray or two which Mike knows personally.  Sadly, they didn't show.  However, had they done I fear we would not have seen the for the hundreds of fish milling around hoping for a bite of the mackerel mike had in his goody bag!

another goody with a depth of 24 metres and time of just short of an hour.  Fizzing nicely by now!!

·
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Oh yes, and on this dive we met up with one of these chaps, who according to the diving fish books are elusive.  I don't think!!   Our only dilemma was figuring out which end one should blow them from!!

I give you the trumpet fish....

·
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

At one point I'm sure I heard Mike scream 'Get these buggers off me!!!'

·
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Nice cuttlefish from this dive.

·
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

On to
the second day, and, yes, you guessed it.  more fish, great viz and good diving.  We dived a site called las eras which started on a beach.  having got in the water we wentround a headland and gradually descended to about 30 metres.

The fish life was awsome!  Huge trumpetfish, scorpion fish, morays and cuttlefish.  This is a good dive.  I have never seen so many fish in one spot!

·
Part of the 'Phoenix Programme'
1,112 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (andy2tanx @ Dec. 14 2003,14:18)]At one point I'm sure I heard Mike scream 'Get these buggers off me!!!'
Andy, wasn't that the dive from which you at least brought back Mike's gear? *grin*

·
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

No I think that was the next day.  Is he still smiling?

Anyway, here's a good shot that shows how big the trumpet fish get.

·
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Ok, here's the dive causing so much fun in another thread.  
this dive started off by jumping into a lovely clear pool which is almost round.  At the bottom there is a little swim through and after that it is prolific with fish.  We encountered a razorfish, with which Mike is quite taken by.  Apparently, when threatened these fish swim into the sand and throught it aided by the fact that they are so thin they glide through it.  Then they pop out behind, the little feckers!!

After the encounter with the razorfish, we found a sea cucumber aka donkeys dick.  One little squirt and the animal emits a white sticky substance.  Porg, don't get too excited, we later discovered this to be shite!!!

·
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

A particular favourite of mine are these.  the garden conger eel lives in the sand and retreats into his burrow when danger appears.  Sadly, they also do the same when a photographer swims near looking for the shot.  the photographer, a little dim-wittedly, thinks that he is getting no nearer to them, then he looks behind himself and sees that they have sprung up behind him magically.  Ah, the wonders of nature!!

i don't like to think how long I had to hold my breath to get this shot...

·
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

That afternoon we decided to go on the RIB to the el Condisoto, a small wreck near the shore.  On dropping down to the wreck, the first thing you notice is that the sailors were clever enough to drop the ship in a natural basalt ampitheatre.  Clever chaps!  The wreck teems with life.

Sadly, the most interesting thing I found on the wreck was this queer creature...

·
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

The strange man-like fish sat there for ages until letting out a contented stream of bubbles and flitting away to some nook or cranny.  Only then did I realise what it had been doing...

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Andy - great eel garden pic !!!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>The warhammer thing comes to mind.

·
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Imported post

Kirky, thnx.

The closest I could get was this shot...

·
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Imported post

I also rather liked this shot of the Condisoto.

·
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Imported post

...and then, just as I was thinking that the wreck had nothing left to offer, along came this chap.  Tempting me into the dropoff, I had to chase him to get a decentish pic of him.

·
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Imported post

So what can I say.  So far we have had 6 cracking dives here in Tenerife.  Anyone making plans to go yet?

Next on the agenda, moray Cave and the most popular dive on the island, Stingray dive.  Here goes.

After the usual buddy check (?) on the Rib, Mike caught up with Jay and I on the bottom at around 18 metres.  Finning along gently we came across a monument to 3 dead divers at the mouth of a cave.  how they died is still a mystery, so after noting mike soberly touching the cross into the cave for a quick look.

Caves aren't jay's bag, so he and mike waited while i popped in for an explore a short distance.  I AM going back to this cave next year, equipped with sidemounts and deco gas.  The number of potential squezzes and further caves seemed numerous!  Really enjoyed seeing the headlight eyes of the fish in the gloom for a couple of minutes, then reluctantly, i turned and went back out to join mike and jay for a quick session with the morays.

Obviously, these fish know divers here, and were clamouring for a feed.  Tough luck!  We saved most of our mackerel for the stingrays!!

·
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Imported post

Boy, this chap loved the camera...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts