YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Ok, so if the topic description got you wondering, that's exactly what we didn't do, but you’re here now so may as well have a look?

It was a family holiday for myself and a my friend “Big D”, so we were under strict instructions not to go diving every day and come home well oiled where our wives and kids would be meeting us with divorce papers, as can be the case with divers!? (Surely not I, hear you say??)

We dived with YD members, Rebecca and Mike of Oceanquest Divers, formerly South coast Divers, (new website on it's way in a couple of weeks). We done four dives in all, the first a check dive and then three from there. All were shore dives as most sites are within a couple of hundred meters of the shore, Oceanic island and all that. It was a coolish 17 to 19degrees depending on location and depth, which was ok for a descent wet suit, but me being me, I took the dry suit for comfort (don't want to go diving and actually get wet!). I am no good with names but remember the check dive was called the "pool" as entry to the sea was via a swim though in a "very" large rock pool which was a first for me and a bit different. The second dive was deeper, I can't remember the name, and had a bit more life, but not in the “Red Sea” type of way. I think this increases as the season progresses as we were definitely diving off peak in March. Day two was excellent with the dives starting at a local supermarket? In we walked, getting some funny looks, and proceeded to buy our goods. Myself and Big D bought beer and wine, while Mike bought.....Fish! Was he having a laugh?, maybe lunch? what are those for? Mike smiled and replied " yes, they are lunch, but not for us". He explained he had made a few friends over the years he's spent on the island, a few of which were "six foot stingrays", I kid you not. We got to the dive site and eagerly swam to where Mike thought they would be, sure enough, they found us before we even got there, maybe it was the 2 kg of Mackerel down his pants, you’re not from Essex are you Mike?? We fed the fish for a bit, they were not shy, you had to fend them off to avoid being run over, probably not so good if your buoyancy (or sphincter) is a bit rough/loose. Then we headed back to shore for our surface interval and off to the last site. Overall we seen quite a few different species of fish, a mixture of the cold Atlantic waters and the more tropical ones. There were Octopus, squid, cuttlefish, all the usual bottom dwellers, damsel fish, morays, barracuda, coronet fish, even a trigger fish and the everyday wrasse and jacks, so plenty for everyone. On top of this the topography is different too. Nothing in the way of coral, it is all lava from the Island with some small drop offs and swim throughs until you steadily go beyond normal dive depths.

We all had a good time in Tenerife. Rebecca and Mike were the perfect hosts and even laid on a BBQ for us one night for a bit of home cooking - and they can both cook, the food was fresh and tasted excellent. With hospitality like this I can't help but recommend you look them up if you dive in South Tenerife, they really make you feel at home and treat you well from when they pick you up at your hotel to when they try and make you go drinking with them. If you have to keep the other half happy, this may just be an ideal compromise.

James  

·
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Porg @ April 03 2004,11:36)]What do you do if one of them starts trying to mate with you (YBOD wearers beware)?

Fake an orgasam.
Mike is well aware of this one. They can "suck the flesh from an oyster" (you can also say it the other way round!!) and Mike go this close up. He had a mesh bag of Mackerel cliped to a back D ring when one of the big ones "took him from behind" ooh, err. They are true "bottom feeders" as it sucked so hard it diced the mackerel through the bag and tried the same with Mikes butt cheeks!, he had a love bite the size of your hand and stunck of fish - rumour has it Rebecca made him sleep in the shop.

James  

·
Registered
366 Posts
Imported post

Going to be out in Tenerife in May, can't wait now after reading your report....what kit did you take with you or did you hire it through Rebecca & Mike ?

regards
Andy ( ancl )

·
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Imported post

Hi Andy

I took the lot but they have all you will need if you want to hire. In May it will probably be around 20 degrees by then, they have suits or you may want your own for comfort. Their prices are reasonable and they'll do you a discount if you tell them your from YD in advance. Good holiday diving is hard to find, I trust these guys.

James

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Is this outfit anywhere near los Gigantes
Im off to Tenny in the summer and sounds like this outfit are well worth a go !!

·
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Imported post

Based in Costa Adeje which is all part of Las Americas/Los Cristianos now and they will pick you up anywhere around there. They can also get cheap dive kit due to tax rules so if you are looking for a big piece of kit it's worth giving them a call to see if they can get it. Mike is getting me a pair of Mares planti-Avanta (spelling?) fins for around £33, they are about £70/80 here.

James

·
Part of the 'Phoenix Programme'
1,112 Posts
Imported post

Thanks for the kudos, it was lovely having you :))

And it was NOT a rumour, Mike DID have to sleep in the shop *g*

Kirky...Los Gigantes is just a bit far out of our zone, about an hour's drive, but Los Gigantes Diving is just in the harbour there. If you find you are closer to Costa Adeje, obviously we would love to have your custom *g*

Jim say hello to your better half and the kids :))

moray

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Glad you had a good time James.
This quote of yours sums it up.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]. Good holiday diving is hard to find, I trust these guys.
l dived with Mike & Rebecca last Jan and had a great time, they are the fourth diving outfit l've dived with in Tenerife and l will definately dive with them when l go back (Nut sure when though
)

l've also dived with Los Gigantes diving, they were the second best  

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>O.K that lovebite on my extendet spine was a ray........... honest!!!     I still see her once in a while

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Imported post

I dived out of Las Galletas last March and will be diving there again this May. There is a very well known dive called "The rays" locally and has hundreds of smaller fish and a huge number of very friendly "psycho pancakes" which are very friendly and love to be fed but they are actually quite gentle. As the site is mid way between Los Gigantes and Las Americas then it may be worth asking your skipper if they know the site. It also has a small wreck on it and its quite and odd feeling looking through a porthole to see a ray starting back at you trying to get more food  

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I know I'll be back if Mike and Rebecca will have me! Diving with the rays is superb - one of the best dives we did out there although it would be impossible to choose from all the sites we did.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts