YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Underwater no-one can eat ice cream
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi there,  I'm off to Tenerife at the beginning of April and I'm after recommendations of dive centers as my partner is a non diver.

We'll be staying in Medano (near the airport).

Thanks

DaveS

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

no idea where that is but we dived with island divers in the south of tenerife near plays de las Americas.
http://www.island-divers.com/

Graham and sonia were great and the dive sites were lovely, feeding the atlantic rays was a high point! and the moray eels were really inquisitive..
Great viz, nice sites,

There are some members on here who run another dive centre in tenerife...Moray I think she is called. I am sure she will be along with a recommendation or some friendly advice. I think Andy2tanks divedwith them last year (check the old trip reports)

hope that helps

Jules:D

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Hi Dave

I'll be there doing a bit myself, probably on the south coast as I am going to Las Americas with the family and a couple of friends. I'll be there from 26/3 for a week, you never know, we might just meet if your down that way.

James  

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

If you are a YDer then get in touch with Scuba1 and Moray, both board members.  You will qualify for a discount on your dives with them, they are the ones who run South Coast Divers in Torviscas and are second to none, both as good folk and divers.  You really won't get better treatment on the whole island.

·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi James, I'm not going out until the 7th April, but I would like to hear how you get on / where you dive.

I'll also look into the South Coast Divers in Torviscas.

Chrz

DaveS

·
Registered
228 Posts
Imported post

My father-in-law, Geoff, runs Undersea Adventures in Golf Del Sur, just round the coast from El Medano. There's some nice diving round there. Las Eras is a nice deepish dive around a steep, sloping shore, not very far from you. There's some nice fish life at Abades (North) - I saw massive schools of 100s of Barracuda last time I was there. Avoid "Easy Blue World" who operate out of the beach there. Abades South is worth the (boneshaking) drive across the rocks.

Wherever you go you're pretty much bound to see octopus, schools of bream, Moray eels in abundance, as well as the odd angel shark, cuttlefish, nudibranchs, stingrays, eagle rays, barracuda and lots and lots of big black sea-urchins.

If you dive with Geoff, make sure you do the night dive at black cove - bioluminescent plankton, puffers sleeping on the seabed and baby cuttlefish the size of your thumb - outstanding!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Thanks for the plug, Andy  

Dave, just see Andy and Jay's trip report, and JuliaC's trip report for pics of diving here...

moray

·
Registered
288 Posts
Imported post

Dived last February and March with South Coast Divers in Tenerife, had a great time.. excellent attitude and knowledge of the area, some great dives and a good sense of humour displayed by all!! Hi George, seen your policeman friend lately?? Ha Ha!!
Seriously, they are a great bunch, pretty good on the social side of life too!!
Cheers

·
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Hi guys

I will be doing a couple of dives with southcoast divers and have been in touch with them. Moray, I'll grt back to you when I have time to check where we're staying, as you can see by my post time my shifts/baby are playing hell with me just now.

James  

·
Finally not a new member
270 Posts
Imported post

Just back from a trip to Tenerife.  Dived with Atlantic Divers.  Owners are in the process of selling up so they have kind of lost interest and its down to the staff to organise things.  Alternative for South of the island would Tenerife Scuba (didnt dive with them but met the owners) both outfits based in Las Galletas.  Diving was fun all from ribs but Atlantic were hiring risb from other outfits.

Be prepared for some non UK dive safety to apply.  Non UK Outfits and skippers often dive as well leaving no-one on board.  Came as a bit of a shock when the skipper was first in the water with one of his own students, thats the french for you.  Safety briefing from the skipper was non existence as well was left for DM to advise on O2 and first aid kit etc.

·
2,998 Posts
Imported post

The above is typical of many "holiday" dive companies. I dived with one out of Porta Pollenca in Majorca last year and out of twelve divers, seven had problems and never made the dive. I sussed out a DM among the passengers and we buggered of together. The crew were trying to line us up to take others in and there is no way I was paying to go diving and end up babysitting strangers. It's outfits like this that mean you should be confident and competent to dive "solo" because with some of these clowns you effectively are.

James  

·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Scuba1 @ Mar. 03 2004,21:45)]Thanks for the plug, Andy  

Dave, just see Andy and Jay's trip report, and JuliaC's trip report for pics of diving here...

moray
<font color='#0000FF'>The website hasn't been working for a couple of days?

Thanks for all the pointers.

DaveS

·
Part of the 'Phoenix Programme'
1,112 Posts
Imported post

Dear John

Thanks for your plug as well :)))

Laterontoday, it is the norm here to use a taxi RIB. There are no public docking spaces whatsoever here on the island, and berths are prohibitively expensive, so all RIBs are anchored in the harbour and must be swum for by the skipper. Most dive schools cannot be bothered, and they also compare the expense of hiring and the expense of maintaining their own RIB...well, Bob's yer uncle, taxi RIBs are the thing.

We do have our own small RIB, but we only take a max of 4 divers out on it, it is a 4-stroke so the expense is minimal. Most dives on Tenerife are shore dives in any event.

Dave, yes our web site is down right now, the webmaster screwed up big time :-(( and looks like it will be weeks before it is up again (arg).

moray

1 - 13 of 13 Posts