YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so this diving lark is becoming expensive when i use B&B's all the time and i'm off to scotland bank holiday weekend with the club (up to now) so i've been flicking through various camping shop websites looking at tents. Bearing in mind the only camping i've done i was cuddling a rifle and was lucky to make it into my gonkbag :frown: never mind a tent. So what do i buy i was thinking 3 man because that way a mate and i can share without being gay:D the prices vary massively from around 60 quid up to 400 :eek: i obviously want it to be a piece of piss to put up and keep me dry etc is this one any good

Vango Beta 350 Tent Outdoor World

or do i need something like this
Vango Equinox 450 Tent 2007 The Tent Man
i can't really see a difference besides the price but like everything i expect you get what you pay for so any experts out there i'd value you opinion or recommendations

·
Banned
1,601 Posts
Can't go wrong with Vango tents, I have a cheap Vango 3 man dome similar to the 350 & it's been battered around Europe for years, it's still going strong.

Regards
Chris/z
:)

·
beware of limitations
3,443 Posts
There was once some geezer (me) who was into miltary re-enatments. This was good fun, maily due to the drinking and the seemingly non-ending opportunities to get into local girls knickers.

This chap used to laugh at people lugging canvass tents around, preferring the joys of nylon and sectioned tent poles, which where still bloddy expensive.

Then one night, the wind blew "a bit hard" while he was in the beer tent and this amiable chap found himself with no tent and an irate girlfriend (the tent was up a tree). The people in the canvas tents didn't even notice. The bastards.

Since then I only camp under canvas. You can put one of these up
Past Tents - Medieval Tents In about 3 minutes. I've got 3 of them, the grandeur of the occasion fitting the tent.

·
Banned
1,601 Posts
It'll be the 'Tudor Pavillion' for me from now on!!! :thumbsup:

Chris/z
:)

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your having a bloody laugh now i know who you remind me of the bearded lady thinking of you in one of those tents brought the memory flooding back:D

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They look great but 500 quid is a lot of money for a tent that looks like a portable loo

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
They look great but 500 quid is a lot of money for a tent that looks like a portable loo
Doesn't matter what it looks like, becausze when you're inside it, you can't see it. And who gives a f__k what anyone else thinks anyway. The main thing for me, is if I buy one now, I reckon I'll get 20 yrs out of it, so it's actually pretty cheap.

Mind you 500 notes? Allowing fot the exchange rate, they're 345 quid retail here. You blokes really do get done over don't you? (When you reckon we are paying 50p a litre for petrol.)

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Thing to look for in a tent is ventilation. I find most cheaper tents do not have enough and get very hot.

As for sizing, go and see tents up at a retailer rather than buying from the internet box shifters. If you are larger than average, you may find a 4 person tent more comfortable. I'm small and a 2 person tent is fine for just me and a 3 person tent is fine for me and another similar sized person.

dan

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok so today i went around a few shops after mooching on the net i'd decided what i wanted my dad decided he'd come along too. I'd decided on a little tunnel type tent looked a piece of piss to set up and sounded very waterproof got to the shop and it was tiny :frown: so had a mooch around and bought one of these
Vango, manufacturer of tents, sleeping bags, rucsacs and accessories

even got a free DVD with it on how to put it up it's fookin massive i can stand up and everything :teeth: took me about 20 mins to erect (ooh err) i reckon i could get that down to 10-15 the next time. It's been peeing down all day even whilst i was putting it up :angry: (bear in mind my only camping has been done in a sleeping bag cuddling a rifle not a tent in sight:embarassed: ) i was quite impressed that the outside goes up first keeping the inside bone dry :teeth: and the whole thing has a ground sheet throughout :teeth: it's been up a good 7 hours now in non stop rain and still dry. And now for the sad bit, i went rooting in the loft for my old field kit i found my little stove and a camp cot that i beat a yank at the flaming arsehole dance for:embarassed: stove works a treat still had gas and everything so i'm sat in the tent listening to radio 1 via the net and mooching on here with a hot brew :embarassed: well i had to test it before next weekend all the mod cons this tent 240v elecy wifi etc:teeth: gets bloody hot though the vents can only open so far whilst it's peeing down.

May have had a little drinky too

Your man in the wild ( well almost ) signing off:teeth:

·
13.05.2012 QPRmageddon Day
1,948 Posts
Ok so today i went around a few shops after mooching on the net i'd decided what i wanted my dad decided he'd come along too. I'd decided on a little tunnel type tent looked a piece of piss to set up and sounded very waterproof got to the shop and it was tiny :frown: so had a mooch around and bought one of these
Vango, manufacturer of tents, sleeping bags, rucsacs and accessories

even got a free DVD with it on how to put it up it's fookin massive i can stand up and everything :teeth: took me about 20 mins to erect (ooh err) i reckon i could get that down to 10-15 the next time. It's been peeing down all day even whilst i was putting it up :angry: (bear in mind my only camping has been done in a sleeping bag cuddling a rifle not a tent in sight:embarassed: ) i was quite impressed that the outside goes up first keeping the inside bone dry :teeth: and the whole thing has a ground sheet throughout :teeth: it's been up a good 7 hours now in non stop rain and still dry. And now for the sad bit, i went rooting in the loft for my old field kit i found my little stove and a camp cot that i beat a yank at the flaming arsehole dance for:embarassed: stove works a treat still had gas and everything so i'm sat in the tent listening to radio 1 via the net and mooching on here with a hot brew :embarassed: well i had to test it before next weekend all the mod cons this tent 240v elecy wifi etc:teeth: gets bloody hot though the vents can only open so far whilst it's peeing down.

May have had a little drinky too

Your man in the wild ( well almost ) signing off:teeth:
Weirdo

·
13.05.2012 QPRmageddon Day
1,948 Posts
:teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Listen no nagging in here :teeth: only kidding back in house now happy that i have a dry tent for next weekend
Awww mate, back at Crappers today, first in , viz was( unbelievably )
about 6-8m mainly because there was no Scouser on a twinset try dive walking across the floor:teeth: :teeth:
Where you going camping anyway?never had you down as one of the Scouts, even though you are a bit camp.
Enjoy it up there mate :)

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks like scotland or angelsey mate and B&B's where getting a bit steep costing around 300 quid for a weekends diving i decided to bite the bullet and buy a tent should take off a good 100 quid a weekend i hope:teeth:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.