YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, we have slowly started talking about possibly investing in a couple of twin sets... (overtime permitting of course)

but.. I struggle with the weight of my single 12 at times, I do think it is rather heavy. I am ok with Steves 15l but still think it is heavy.. but, I want twins so I can make a longer dive..

What is the weight of twin 10's and twin 12's?? Are they "easy" to carry for a mere girl (lol), what do we need to look out for, is the twin 12's a better investment long term etc??

Sorry to sound so dumb, but why not ask rather than stumble around on internet researching in the blind, I know loads of you dive on twins, so please share of your experience to a complete twin novice..

B x

·
Retired
2,054 Posts
I find 12's ok once they are on my back, if you have a car with a flat boot its ideal to kit up in. Once in the water I dont notice them at all. This is probably psychological but i seem to use less air per dive on twins as i do on a single. It might be worth thinking what diving you do, alot of shore dives as we do it can be a pain lugging them about but boat diving where your just kitting up and getting in is a breeze, also means you dont need to faff about between dives changing cylinders.

Try asking Davie aka the blogboy, (happychappy) he had 12's but switched to 10's purely due to the weight difference

Gareth

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And here Davie tells me how big and strong he is.. and he switched.. lol

We want to start doing some sea diving off boats really, that is why we are considering it, going down with a group all diving on twins is no fun when you are just on a 12l..

B x

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Hi B,

When I switched from using a single 15 to twinning them up I didn't think I would ever be able to lift them. In reality though they were much easier than I thought and felt GREAT in the water.

My other half uses twin 10's and even she used them once and although they were VERY heavy for her they weren't toooooo bad whilst moving around the boat...

I think the thing to remember here is that these weights are when lugging them around on land. Underwater they're just the same as any thing else... Effectively weightless due to your BC.

I guess the best thing to suggest would be to hook up with someone and give some a try and see how you get on?

·
Retired
2,054 Posts
And here Davie tells me how big and strong he is.. and he switched.. lol

We want to start doing some sea diving off boats really, that is why we are considering it, going down with a group all diving on twins is no fun when you are just on a 12l..

B x

lol. im sure i heard him say 7's next then if he is still struggling, its gonna be twin 3's....................

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
I have been using twin 12's for well over a year now, and have no trouble with them. I tried 10's, but they were just the wrong height. with 12's, they come far enough down that if I need to sit, I can, and the twins reach whatever I am sitting on. It makes it quite easy to kit up on a boat etc.

Weight wise, yes, they are heavy, but I don't theink there is much difference in the weight of 10's & 12's.
:)

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
They are heavy - make no mistake. They are heavy and they are a pain in the arse to lug around on land. If you just want a single longer dive then go up to a 15l, or twin 7's. If you want deeper with redundancy go for twin 12's.
Don't go for twin 12s just to get longer at 20-30m type dive woud be my sincere advice.

·
ego postulo urino
3,325 Posts
They are heavy - make no mistake. They are heavy and they are a pain in the arse to lug around on land. If you just want a single longer dive then go up to a 15l, or twin 7's. If you want deeper with redundancy go for twin 12's.
Don't go for twin 12s just to get longer at 20-30m type dive woud be my sincere advice.
I would agree.... Good advice.

·
Banned
402 Posts
If you are mainly diving out of a hard boat then a really heavy set of kit may not be so bad, just sit at the back of the boat so you have the least distance to strugglt to the water.

If you are diving mainly from ribs then you will have to lift your kit up onto the side of the tube, this can be hard in a rocking boat if you find your kit too heavy.

If you are a stoney cove weekend diver you may need to invest in an alarm clock to get up really early so you can get a parking space as near to the water as possible.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What we want it longer deeper dives with reserve out to sea, there is always the thougth hanging over you being aware of having "only" a 12L tank when really you have the bottom time available but not the air... that is the reason.... it is just a question wheter I can actually carry the two cylinders whilst on land, because they must be damn heavy...

B x

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
What is the weight of twin 10's and twin 12's?? Are they "easy" to carry for a mere girl (lol), what do we need to look out for, is the twin 12's a better investment long term etc??
I'm 57.
I've only had two heart attacks.
I can still dive twin 300bar 10s.
...but I have to put them on to carry them too and from the boat as I have a stuffed shoulder from motor-bike racing.

Tomorrow I'm diving a full YBOD plus two 7L stages and a big cannister lamp.
I just carry them too and from the boat in a couple of journeys.
In the water I'm trimmed out neutral so weight is not an issue.

It's only a problem if you make it a problem.

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
What we want it longer deeper dives with reserve out to sea, there is always the thougth hanging over you being aware of having "only" a 12L tank when really you have the bottom time available but not the air... that is the reason.... it is just a question wheter I can actually carry the two cylinders whilst on land, because they must be damn heavy...

B x
Define longer and deeper B...What are you diving now and what are you going to be diving in the future? What sort of diving do you do? Rib, Hardboat or Shore? Answer those questions and people might be able to give your more information. 30m on 32% gives you an NDL of 30mins. Anything longer and you are going to be into deco territory and you are going to need a deco cylinder too.

Weight wise, are you able to find approximately 10kg of lead and strap it onto 2 x 12l fabers full of gas and lift them? That will give you an idea of the weight. The 10kg is made up of a BP (3kg), sea corrected lead (approx 5kg), manifold, bands & extra regs (2kg). You are talking about lifting 10kg (rig) + 24kg (cylinders) +5kg (gas) - so nearly 40kg. Can you do that?

Use the correct tool for the job.

HTH

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well basically wanting to come on trips on the south coast to some of the deeper wrecks down to 40 m's. I have been told again and again that it would not be suitable diving them on just a 12L that is really why.. we are both keen photographers so would definitely keep the 12/15 l's for the nice shallow pretty dives....

I presume that some of the weight that I will carry on the twins will be less in my weightbelt.. can I carry it, not sure.. think I am going to ask any YD'rs who are at stoney if I can try to lift theirs if they are on twins..

Anyone about Thursday afternoon or Friday all day??

B x

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
well basically wanting to come on trips on the south coast to some of the deeper wrecks down to 40 m's. I have been told again and again that it would not be suitable diving them on just a 12L that is really why..
I agree that you should not be diving a single 12L to 40m :OMG:

However, how long do you want to spend on the bottom? The reason I ask is because the list below gives you an indication of what the NDL limits will be. This list was created by extrapolating the GUE Min Deco limits but GUE don't advocate diving below 30m on Nitrox so these are not what GUE divers would use, they would use 21/35 or 30/30).

30m - 30mins
33m - 25mins
36m - 20mins
39m - 15mins
42m - 10mins

Once you pass these figures you are into deco. Once you are into deco, you are into the zone where you cannot make a straight ascent to the surface if you have a problem therefore you need to be able to solve problems such as shutdowns. Depending on how far past the NDL you go, you are also into the realm of carrying a deco gas otherwise your backgas will not last long enough to deco out on.

There is more to twinset diving than whether you can lift the rig; that is the relatively easy part, especially if you are on a hard boat.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
B,

As Gareth says - get the right tool for the job. Take the gas you need for you and your buddy for the dive.
How tall are you? If you are an average 5'5" then Twin 12's might be a little too tall for you - i.e. when you sit down on a hard surface they will push you forward.. maybe..

Also - think of Clare Gledhill - she is a hobbit (I'd say about 3 foot 11 ;)) and yet she dives with Twin 12's and a couple of deco cylinders and I believe she is looking to start diving twin 18's for her deeper jaunts - if she is not doing so already.. So - Can you lift them? It is not impossible..

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gez... I am 5ft 10 so can carry them off, we are still very much at the thinking board, want to plan our dives and see where we are going with them. We do not want to go into deco, we are both deep dive qualified but looking really to plan conservative rather than limit, however, out at sea on many of the wrecks it does really demand proper kit as in twins and associate procedures..

we will see where we go with it, we would like to get more involed in sea diving and in particular wrecks and need to be prepared really.. still would be nice to try a set on..

B x

·
Beach-bum-Blonde Mafia ;o)
6,935 Posts
B

I suggest you consider getting on a days twinset familiarisation course, such as the one's that Mark Powell (sir), does.

I found it invaluable - totally impartial, but lots of good advise - and you get to try out various twins and wing configurations, and he shows you how to do shutdowns etc too.

Or you can ask loads of people to lend you a 'go' on theirs.

I warn you though - it's a whole different ballgame to diving singles. Once you start ......

Sue

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.