YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>A few weeks ago I posted a few lines on the great service I had got from Reed Chillcheater when ordering a couple of items of their clothing. I promised then to let you know how I found the gear in use.

I've just got back from the Red Sea trip that I'd bought the gear for. I'd decided to take a full 3mm steamer and augment this with both a Chillcheater long-john and a shirt. The plan was that this would give me plenty of flexibility with a wide range of thermal protection and take up little room or weight in my bag. Given that the Chillcheaters have the equivalent thermal protection of 3mm of neoprene I was confident that I wouldn't get cold.

Well I'm happy to report that I was chuffed to bits with them. Water temperature was around 26c and I spent most of the trip with the long-john under the steamer and never felt cold. Later in the week, when the dive guide resorted to her 7mm semi-dry and hood I just added the shirt and was perfectly comfortable. The smooth surface made it easy to pull on a damp wetsuit and I could swap and change the level of protection with ease and without any concerns for changes in weighting as the Chillcheaters are so thin they don't affect your bouyancy. It was only concern for having rash protection over my arms and legs that stopped me diving in the Chillcheaters alone - I guess I would have needed virtually no weight at all.

The only real downside was suffering the piss-taking about wearing a rubber gimp-suit (I'm sure the photos will follow) but frankly it was worth it. I suspect that in a few years time we'll all be wearing them and wondering how we ever coped with neoprene.

If you're going abroad to warm water I'd heartily recommend them. You can order made to measure items on-line at www.chillcheater.com and if my experience was typical you can expect them to arrive in the post the next day.

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

Just can't wait for the chillcheater zippered hood
....just to complete the ensemble

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

"Hey Zed, Spider here, looks like we caught ourselves a fly...."  

I think there was a fair amount of p*** taking all round about a whole bunch of things.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Bring out the gimp ...

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

oops...ignore

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

I bought the chill cheater fleece base layer, longjohns and long sleeve top to wear under my thinsulate, under my dry suit, after a chilly weekend in scotland. I saw someone on YD recommend it to go under a weasel a few weeks back. Tested it out weekend before last and it's really toasty warm! It was £30 per item and arrived by first class post two days after ordering it. It is warm when wet , wicks away moisure and generally really decent quality. So Another recommendation from me.
jules

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

i had a chillcheater - someone stole them (shorts n top) after i had worn them only once.  I pity the person who is the same size n shape as me, cos they were made to measure.

·
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (camdiver @ Nov. 11 2003,12:56)]Just can't wait for the chillcheater zippered hood
....just to complete the ensemble
Conor, I did get the hood - put it on once and scared myself silly! I think it will be staying at the bottom of my kit bag, except perhaps to go under my regular hood on very cold days.

Gav, thanks for posting the photo - I knew it was coming! How gay is that?

But hey - what a fine figure of a man! Ladies, form an orderly queue; there's plenty for everyone ...

(Steve - you make any comments about the guys queueing aswell and I'll be coming for you!)

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Hey Mark,

Is that picky going to be your new avatar?

Tell me , in your line of work, do people (not criminals) actually open their doors to you or hide behind them.  

Scary or what!

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Not the most flattering of divewear, is it?  I confess I tried some on at the dive show and scared myself.....needless to say i didn't buy them.

I actually thought they felt very restrictive - there's not much "give" in them is there?  Did you find that, or did they feel ok?

·
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Lou, it's not as tight fitting as it looks - I was pratting about and pushing my gut out for the picture. They're designed to be close fitting rather than stretched around you.  In fact there's surprisingly little stretch in them, so the shirt is a right bugger to get off (there's no zip or anything).

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Davies @ Nov. 12 2003,20:17)]Lou, it's not as tight fitting as it looks - I was pratting about and pushing my gut out for the picture.
Of course you were Mark,  thats your story and you stick to it.  

·
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ Nov. 12 2003,22:11)]Of course you were Mark,  thats your story and you stick to it.  
<font color='#000080'>Yeah, alright. You got me there. Just trying to salvage some dignity!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts