YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Anyone know of a suitable pool of water in Leeds Bradford area for testing a scooter's buoyancy??? A lake/ slow moving river or similar would do, as long as it's within a few metres of the car, and access is public/ legal.

Cheers

Scoff

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

I know of somewhere.  6 m deep with access from road less than 20 m. Interested?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

Yep, sounds great.

Whereabouts is it (an ordnance survey reference or description of how to find it would be good).

Cheers

Scoff

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

It is just off the A1 at a place called Darrington.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Imported post

Heads Up - No, Santa didn't bring me a new toy for Christmas...:sad:

It's a homebuilt scooter (aka the Bog-O-Zepp):cool: that's morphed since 1998. I used it in Spain in September. But I had problems with the buoyancy floats I used - one lost & one flattened (at minus45m), and also I had too much battery capacity for sumps in UK. So I'm offloading battery weight & ditching floats & need a pool to check trim, etc.

It's cheapness (i.e. less than £300) is due to the fact it doesn't need to be waterproof - as I only play in fresh water...:smile:

Andy2Tanx - excellent, thanks for that, I may check it out in near future, depending on weather in Dales next weekend and access to suitable pool up there. Ta anyway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Imported post

I fancy having a go at making an underwater scooter, I have an electric outboard I could take to bits.The motor is oiled sealed so should be pressure proof.
There also is Horbury Sailing Club Lake which is just West of the M1 at Horbury of all places.
The Place Andy mentioned has very good viz may I add.
In the dales a few miles out of Settle on the Horton & Ribbles dale road is Hellwith bridge at the bottom of a hill, turn left there at the bridge. Then left again brings you to some gates opposite the pub, this is the entrance.
Depth 18-20m Good viz. Ask at thr pub opposite for permission.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Imported post

Re: Darrington - I assume this is not the pond on the golf course, but the lake to the east (just south west of the level crossing)?

Re: Helwith Bridge - I know this place well, having used it to learn & practice back in the early eighties when I went from being a dry potholer to a wet one.:sad:

In those days & on into the late eighties, it was a popular spot for diving. Then ownership changed, and it became an 'angling-only' site - the fishermen don't take too kindly to having their prey startled by us lot!

Re: the Scooter - the Bog-O-Zepp is based on an electric outboard motor - the Yamaha 11 kgs thrust model. I bought this as it was the cheapest (being a Yorkshireman) and didn't want to waste money if it all failed miserably. But, oh, how I wish I had gone for the 18 kgs thrust version!!! And what would the 25 kgs thrust version be like - er, awesome...but unusable without a "windscreen". As it is the Bog-O-Zepp goes at 2.8 km per hour, which is enough to make your mask and reg flutter in the breeze, if you turn your head sideways.:biggrin:

It also used to be oil-filled, but after stripping it down for its service, and finding a load of 'cruddy' goo inside, I decided to drill a load of holes in the housing. Let the water in to keep the motor cool, and then let it drain out very quickly afterwards. No problems so far - but remember, fresh water only.

(For piccies of its metamorphosis, checkout the relevant page on the website www.manadero-expedition.org.uk - but only look at the site if you promise not to laugh!);)

Cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Imported post

Not a bad site!
I like the DIY kit, the rebreather is one I would like to make. I have a couple of ABLJ's I wonder if they would work?
The scooter is the one I will have to have a crack at. I think mine is the 30lbs thrust version!
I bought mine for £25.00 from a market.
It would save on gas consumption quite a bit I would think.
Who fancys an Ice dive anyway?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Imported post

Three wheatabix on a morning! In the summer HU I tied Andy and a friend of ours to the inflaty, dragged Andy and Ton through the water with full kit at 20 knots that was a sight. PS like the flash very much, when you going to teach me?    

·
Registered
1 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from andy2tanx on 6:43 pm on Jan. 2, 2002
It is just off the A1 at a place called Darrington.
<span =''>

Don't know the place, but always looking for somewhere accessible from York with better vis than Ellerton Park. Any chance of some more details?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts