YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi Folks - thanks to Bren for the invite to join. I hope to team up soon for some diving!!

For info, I`m 42, DM/MSD, 147 dives in UK/Turkey/Maldives/Mexico/Cozumel/Tunisia(!)Am based in Runcorn, Cheshire so anyone needing a buddy for Wales/Cape/Vivian/Eccy etc contact me. I`m not a Tekkie and dont necessarily enjoy going too deep (>30m)

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey John,

Welcome aboard! Sorry about Devil's Bridge this weekend, but hello the U-boat! See ya soon.

They run this 'Junior-Member-post-more-and-you'll-progress-to-a-full-member' thing here, but I'm hoping it only lasts a while. Somebody with yours and mine time in the ogin can't - hopefully - expect to be 'junior members' for very much longer.

Probably the only criticism I have of the board - giving badge where they (certain members) claims not to think it (badge) a pre-requisite for recognition of time in the wet. But then again, it's not our house!

Cheers,

(Edited by Bren Tierney at 3:34 am on May 27, 2002)

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

I think the consensu is that Junior member is rather insulting, yes?  Tell us what you wanna change it to.  

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

Its an unfortunaten quirk of the cgi script I use. Without hacking through thousands of lines of script, I am forced to put Tags in for 5 seperate categories depending on the number of posts. Because it is proving so unpopular, I'll try and find some time to trawl the scripts and see if I can amend them.

Regards

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

<Quote>
They run this 'Junior-Member-post-more-and-you'll-progress-to-a-full-member' thing here, but I'm hoping it only lasts a while. Somebody with yours and mine time in the ogin can't - hopefully - expect to be 'junior members' for very much longer.
<End Quote>

Bren, it's common practise on ANY board, be it about Quake, or Motor sport, or Unreal, or Computer's, or Networking or Stamp collecting, there will be a similar system in place. It's simply a way of showing how active a member is within a board, maybe by starting off low it is to supposed to give a certain amount of incentive to members to be more active within the board I don't really know, but it is common practise which is why it will be tied into the default CGI scripts.

Please try not to dwell on it too much mate, it really isn't that important.

I'll guarantee that no-one here feels that its a reflection on diving capability or penis size...  ;)

<Quote>
Probably the only criticism I have of the board - giving badge where they (certain members) claims not to think it (badge) a pre-requisite for recognition of time in the wet. But then again, it's not our house!
<End Quote>

Not sure what you mean by this one Bren but if its the ONLY criticism then we're doing well eh?  :biggrin:

Just keep posting your so far, very informative and helpful posts and Voila 'Junior Member' will be gone

After all, If we were to question every member on how many dives they'd done, how deep they'd been, what badges they'd aquired and then titled them based on that information, it might create a little class system dontcha think, maybe its just best to stick with what most of the rest of the internet does and use the system we already have in place.

Respectfully
Dave.

(Edited by Dave Williamson at 11:20 am on May 27, 2002)

(Edited by Dave Williamson at 11:21 am on May 27, 2002)

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

Yeah,stop fu**ing whinging,LOL !! Hello Kirky,you'll get used to it! Your junior membership lads does of course refer to you time here,not in the water etc.post lots and lots of good stuff and you too can become a salty old sea dog too!Take care all.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hi Jay, Andy2Tanx and Dave W,

What would I rather change it to? How about just 'Member'? Or how about having no legend at all other than for those of the Moderators and Administrators?

Or how about 'Prefers Wrecks', 'Wreck-hound', 'Warm-water Diver', 'Reef-dweller', 'Techie',  etc.etc.

AS for the other forums given above, I've never been on any of them - by the sounds they're video games, right? Sorry, don't do them. Also, This is the 1st diving forum I've joined where this system is in place. That said, I understand that this forum is distinct from others and not trying to merely ape them.

Jay, if it's feature of the s/w, then it's a feature of the s/w - no biggie, it's just that 'Junior Member' can rather give the impression that the user is a 5th-former who's been allowed to play with the upper-sixth ;)

Cheers,

(Edited by Bren Tierney at 2:06 pm on May 27, 2002)

·
Banned
217 Posts
Imported post

The system is not to reflect a person's diving experience and I believe J has more important stuff to do than edit script, like diving. :nonono:

You may only have one star just now :pity_party: but the more posts you make, the more gold stars you get! :evilsmile:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Quake and Unreal are video games yes, but Motor Sport, Computers, Networking and Stamp collecting are well....Motor Sport, Computers, Networking and Stamp collecting.. they were picked at random and were meant to try and give a spread of topics in my attemp to explain that in many various newsgroups around the world it is common practise to have some naming structure (usually related to the subject but not always)to define a members amount of traffic on the board.

But as Jay has changed it at your request Bren, no one should ever feel inadequate again.

Regards
Dave

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Should we really be allowing postings with the words "member" and "adequacy" in them? F-nar,f-nar ;)

Just dawned on me - it's official, I am a MEMBER !! Walked straight into that one didn't I, eh?

Later troops,

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

Thanks folks for your concern. I will just have to earn those extra spots. My missus thinks `junior` is cute !! - I`m not admitting to what that is all about !!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts