YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Just a note to say thanks to all the people who mailed me to wish me well. I tried to reply to them at first but ended up overwhelmed. Hence the public thanks.
A few of them mentioned to do something for Divermag along the lines of highlighting where I went wrong and where others went wrong(mainly the seasickness injection. I can now see the funny side to this but at the time it was ludicrous) What do YD'ers think?

Again thanks everyone
Peter

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

Others may be spared the same fate if you do.
And I am glad that you are feeling better.
Michael

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Peter,

I think a wee chat-ette with Louise T from Diver Mag might be just the very tonic you need to express youself fully (and fuck any detractors) and expiate any of the 'demons' you might have had about the dives in question. You showed balls in telling your story - End of!!

You'd be doing DIVING a service, not just any one group. There's nothing that cleanses the pallet and the soul like an open and honest expose of what went on - we and you both stand to gain from your write-up about your bend.

Just my opinion, but hope you do it mate. Stay safe,

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Hi Peter,

I have to agree with Bren, there is a huge debate about denial, and what you have said / have to say can further add to that debate. Certainly, you have made me wonder what I would do in the same situation, it can only be of benifit to help others do the same, who knows it could even save a life.

Andrew

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

All this has got me wondering...
Why do so many people tend to deny whether they have had a bend?  Is it really so non-macho?

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Probably because of exactly the response some posters gave to Peter!  Getting their diving practises critisced, being blamed, the inference that they *must* have done something wrong.

Plus, if you admit it to yourself then you have to admit it to alot of other people and there is no escaping a trip to hospital/docs/pot which is something most of us would do anything to avoid at the best of times!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Imported post

Peter

With last years trend being an upswing in DCI and the DDRCs concern being the amount of divers 'hit' who are in denial I think that your story, as I have already said, was a salutory one.

I am just one of the many who applaud your courage in telling your tale and I believe that it should be one that lets every diver know the risk that he or she takes in their chosen hobby.

I think that it is a great idea to have it published in any of the dive magazines available currently in the UK.  They normally have a "salutory tale" or "I learned from that" sort of section and your story would make for educational reading.  Why keep it in the UK?  It is relevant anywhere that sport diving takes place.

Look forward to your return to diving.  Until then, try not to overdo it on the beer.

Best regards.

Kev

1 - 7 of 7 Posts