YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

I’d just like to thank people for their feedback about the new Beyond magazine. If you liked the sample issue then I think the next one is going to knock your socks off. With the demise of 990 I wanted to produce something new and different from 990 (our first Beyond was just to show McGregor and Stenmar we weren’t beaten and to challenge their “we’ll sue you if you set up another magazine” B.S). The next issue is going to be unlike any other dive mag and I’d appreciate your feed once you see it.

I don’t want to bore people with the in’s and out’s of what happened with 990 but as I know its been discussed I do want to put a few facts out.

I was sorry many people were ripped off with their subscriptions – there was no need for it to happen. We were approached by management accountants acting on behalf of Stenmar in July and asked if we would buy the company back. We wanted to, but unfortunately they didn’t know about our fixed contracts that would be the start of any negotiations. The accountants disappeared and the next thing we knew we were sacked for “lack of performance”. The accountants were embarrassed by the whole pettiness of the situation (we were even given the phone number of a lawyer by one of them!)

The bottom line was McGregor decided that if his business was going to go down he’d take everyone with him. Interestingly all the Stenmar companies are in receivership but 990 Publishers isn’t – it couldn’t be it was solvent (despite sending all cash up to Aberdeen for them to then spend on “Ocean Frontier”).  We’ve now won our case in court but it’s unlikely we’ll ever recover any money. McGregor managed to get the hearing adjourned three times before they reached the safe water of receivership. Telling people they didn’t have the database of subscribers was also a load of bull as they had all the computers – it was just another stalling tactic.

It’s taken six months to get our systems to the level we need and a few of you may not have had your magazines yet – don’t sweat you will – and the new mag will be available by the end of Feb.

If you want to get in touch the best address is [email protected] I’ll get round to answering any questions – eventually!

Kind regards

Ron
[email protected]

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi Ron ,,,,

Must admit , it was a good read, and great piccies.

I even sat on the bog and read it, and took it out with me as well.

Hope you keep going for many more issues , as i personally think , this is the winning dive mag. This is the QUAILITY of reading that us REAL DIVERS want ......

Please don't let it end up in my bog , like the others.

Andy.

Now, whats your FREE advert rates for us poor charter boat skippers ?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Imported post

Ron, watch Andy, he's a ex cabbage head!! and be careful too mate cos there are lot's of bloody students  writting dissertations!!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angus @ Feb. 13 2004,23:06)]Ron, watch Andy, he's a ex cabbage head!! and be careful too mate cos there are lot's of bloody students  writting dissertations!!
What's wrong with writing dissertations. My current thesis is entitled :-

"Exploring the possibilities of laser diodes as sensing elements" This is a novel research to study laser diodes and their effectivness in surface topography sensing"

It's annoying the shit out of me, I've blown several Lasers, cd rom drives & even had my pc circuitry fry on me last night.  

Edited - Forgot to mention how much I enjoyed reading your magazine Ron, and hope to do so in the coming year!!

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Any chance of it becoming a monthly thing? Or are you still dipping your toes in the water so to speak?

Peter

·
Registered
616 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>ron,
good luck with BEYOND THE BLUE.
looking forward to reading the next edition.

cheers
barrie

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Imported post

In reply to Peter K; the thing is Pete the more often you bring the mag out the harder it is to keep the quality of articles. I've read a few comments on the other mags and this is where they fall down - and in their defence they have to appeal to as broad a church as possible. I'd love to be able to bring the mag out monthly but I know that until the material is there then this can only be a pipe-dream; however if we start to bring the best advanced diving articles from around the world then...  

Andy- I'll be in touch...Dover eh... any good Dunkirk evacuation wrecks? (If memory serves me right I think there were three main evacuation routes and the fleet were chased back all the way by Stuka's)

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Aye Ron,

Top magazine and you can expect my subsciption forms through along with payment shortly. Please keep up the good work and well done on the mag's variety. Glad to see Ned Middlton back onboard too!

Cheers,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts