YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Lord Protector of the Pies and Defender of the Bee
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this is going to be different to the majority of the, "things i learnt....".

Occasionally i suffer from insomnioa and from bitter experience i know that the following day is going to be a tiresome day. Yesterday i was looking forward to going to Capernwray to get one stage closer to finishing my sports diver. Last night after a rather heavy pizza i retired to my bed as tired as a tired thing. Within 10 mins the pizza was refusing to digest and sat in my stomach like a lump of lead and i was more awake than you could imagine. This went on for most of the night and by about 5am i had decided that i had to cancel my diving (set off at 7).

Today, i have been like a bear with a fuzzy head, a thorn in the paw and a real low tolerance to idiots and fools. I really wish i was diving but i know that i'd be much less than 70%, my ability to deal with issues much reduced and i would effectivly be my own worst enemy underwater.

I know i made the right decision but i'm really really really peed off.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
You have my sympathy chap.

I too am a bad sleeper. I tend to have very restless nights and and wake very early if I'm stressed. There isnt really much that helps me. I tend to get up and go to another room, perhaps to read a book for a while. This sometimes helps.

I used to nudge SWMBO in the back with the little general to see if a bit of nocturnal egyptian PT (or :cat: stroking) would help solve the problem, but found that this tended to attract a smack in the mouth at 4am and nursing a split lip was never conducive to good rest :angel:

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Well, I used to suffer with it, but then I also used to sleep in til 4pm. Now I get up at 4am and remarkably it's not been back since :)

It's the right decision to make. Far too many people don't get a decent night's sleep before a dive, what with trips featuring a few pints often and with long drives involved. It will make you a bad student who won't learn as well as you should, and a bad buddy who isn't on the ball. I'd rather not dive with someone who is in that condition, so all round better for everyone. Plus you'll get cold more easily as you'll have less energy to keep warm. Oh, and you'll probably fall asleep on the way home anyhow :)

Digs.

·
Registered
305 Posts
You have my respect and admiration, it takes guts to make that sort of decision. When all you really want to do is do one of the things you most enjoy, although you know in your own mind that you would not be at your best in doing it and also perhaps place others at risk. To have the guts to make the right choice sacrificing your desires for yours and others safety makes you the sort of diver I would be happy to dive with, and I'm sure many others on YD with far more experience would agree.
Well done
Doug

·
Lord Protector of the Pies and Defender of the Bee
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, i know it was the right thing to do (proved by the fact that at 6.30 it took me 4 attempts to send a text). I know that i am peed off now but i'd rather be in a bad mood and healthy.

Onthetrain - its true that SWMBO demonstrates little sympathy at 4 in the morning, but probably more than i do when the situation is reveresed:)

Digger - falling asleep on the way back would also not have been healthy as in theory i was going to drive. Already tried that trick once before. I can testify that waking up when you are driving in a car that is bouncing over a barbwire fence with a cow looking at you with interest.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts