YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Strange the things a person can at work, 6 am this morning an approx 2 meter Sun Fish ( Mola Mola ) passed below the Platform,  "Whats That " being asked by a few people.
I saw a couple in Grand Turk last January but you dont expect to see one 150 miles north east of Aberdeen !!!

The weekend is over so I hope all you "Dry Baggers" returned safe...

TOG Diver

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Nice sighting! According to my book, they occur in all tropical and subtropical seas and are sometimes carried in the Gulfstream up to southern Norway. They grow to 2.5 metres, exceptionally 4 m (weight 1400 kg, max. 2000 kg), so yours was a pretty big one.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I saw a load in Cornwall a while back. They're lazy little beggars. I was told they were a protected species or something, but otherwise they would have to be the easiest fish to catch in the world!!!

Most of the ones around the SW have been between 50cm-1m that I've seen. And ugly, too.

They are one of very few animals I have encountered that do even less work than I do!

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Ha ha! I like that! I think that will be the new one.

"So, Digs, what do you do for a living?"

"I'm a student at Sunfish Uni."

Puzzled looks from all concerned, excepting the one or two who actually know what a sunfish is. I go and talk to the people that laugh, we've got something in common!

I did walk past a sign today that had Nottingham University, School of Life. And Environmental Sciences. But if you cut the bottom off in the photo...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Imported post

Saw one a similar size off Cornwall last summer laying on it's side looking very poorly with a few gulls pecking at it.

Apparently, according to the boat skipper, they have skin rather than scales and are prone to lice and other parasites so, in the absence of cleaner fish found in the tropics, they lay of the surface and the gulls eat the lice etc.

Sure enough, as soon as we neared it, the fish righted and slowly dissapeared.

Take care and happy sightings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts