YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent this year so far diving in a one piece harness. This mostly works for me, but getting out of it usually involves some wriggling, shuffling and swearing.

In buddy checks, I always point out that I have no releases, and they'd have to slide me out (probably very difficult), or cut the harness. At the weekend, I thought I'd try and see just how easy cutting me out would be.

I carry a dive knife on my low pressure inflator, which is hideously blunt and not at all 'Crocodile Dundeeish'. It made no impact on my harness - not even a bit of pansy fraying round the edges.

So I clearly need to invest in something that will slice through the webbing like butter. I've been eyeing up the DiveRite shears for about 12 quid. Any one used these? How do they stand up to repeated immersion in the salty stuff? Any other suggestions or recommendations of cutting devices I can carry with me that actually, err, cut stuff?

Many thanks,
alice

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
I carry a dive knife on my low pressure inflator, which is hideously blunt and not at all 'Crocodile Dundeeish'. It made no impact on my harness - not even a bit of pansy fraying round the edges.
Yes. It's always fun to give the owner of big macho dive knife a foot of rope and ask him to cut it.

And then you produce the three quid B&Q snips.

Actually you buy Sea Snips the first time but when the steel rivit starts to go brown and horrible you put the cheap B&Q ones in the nice holster.

Reactions: Kanga

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I've been eyeing up the DiveRite shears for about 12 quid. Any one used these? How do they stand up to repeated immersion in the salty stuff?
I just use the same shears from Maplin. Much cheaper. There's probably even cheaper places, but there's a Maplin near where I work. Which probably doesn't help you...

They easily last a year before the pivot fails.

dan.

·
I provide much-needed sarcasm.
4,099 Posts
I had the Dive Rite shears but the centre bolt snaps eventually as it rusts through. I then replaced them with some from www.boundtree.co.uk, which will probably also rust, but they're £1.75 a pair from them. And they sent me a free sample pack of examination gloves which was just great.

Jason

·
Proud to be "small minded" in the face of credulit
2,910 Posts
And they sent me a free sample pack of examination gloves which was just great.
Sometimes I get scared.

Actually, to be more helpful, I tend to buy a tenners worth of snips at a time when I see them in pound shops. I chuck 'em about every six months. Cheap? Moi?

Regards,

Mark

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts
Sometimes I get scared.

Actually, to be more helpful, I tend to buy a tenners worth of snips at a time when I see them in pound shops. I chuck 'em about every six months. Cheap? Moi?

Regards,

Mark
If you are, so am I as I do exactly the same thing.

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
I tend to buy a tenners worth of snips at a time when I see them in pound shops. I chuck 'em about every six months. Cheap? Moi?
Think that's cheap? I actually wash mine and spray them with WD40 after diving. That way they don't rust, and I don't have to buy new ones. Much cheaper :D

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts
Think that's cheap? I actually wash mine and spray them with WD40 after diving. That way they don't rust, and I don't have to buy new ones. Much cheaper :D

false economy, I reckon you'll spend more in terms of WD40, washcloths and your own time than in cheap shit shears. then you have to factor in being nagged for making a mess, having to actually clean up, your kit stinking of WD40, overheads, personnel costs, missing the telly, etc, etc. How can this possibly be easier than throwing the shears out of the car window on the way to work.

God bless the throw-away culture. We live in wonderful times

:D

G

·
think thats cheap? I just buy them and never clean them or replace them, I just leave them in the spares box, 4 years old and they've never got rusty yet

:)

EDIT: on the time thing, it was a bit of a false economy though as it took me several hours to clean the inside of my suit after I got tangled in some fishing line :D

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
false economy, I reckon you'll spend more in terms of WD40, washcloths and your own time than in cheap shit shears. then you have to factor in being nagged for making a mess, having to actually clean up, your kit stinking of WD40, overheads, personnel costs, missing the telly, etc, etc.

God bless the throw-away culture. We live in wonderful times

Piss off, I'm being environmentally friendly.
Actually, maybe not with the WD40.

Actually, since there's a hijack in progress (sorry!) here's something I was wondering about: do most people actually sharpen their dive knives, and if so how? Or do you just accept that the blade is so blunt you're probably going to die if you ever actually need it?

I periodically check my knives for sharpness, but I've never actually sharpened them (as they've always been OK... so far).

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts
Piss off, I'm being environmentally friendly.
Actually, maybe not with the WD40.

Actually, since there's a hijack in progress (sorry!) here's something I was wondering about: do most people actually sharpen their dive knives, and if so how? Or do you just accept that the blade is so blunt you're probably going to die if you ever actually need it?

I periodically check my knives for sharpness, but I've never actually sharpened them (as they've always been OK... so far).
Sigh. You're just not getting it. Chuck them away every three months and they are always razor sharp as you are constantly replacing them with new ones. there's (some) method in my madness.

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Sigh. You're just not getting it. Chuck them away every three months and they are always razor sharp as you are constantly replacing them with new ones. there's (some) method in my madness.

I hear you do the same with twinsets, to save on gas fills.
And torches, to save the electricity bill from charging them.

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts

your method stinks my knife cost me 49 pence from tesco. WHAT you think I made of money :) yes it will cut webbing and I trust it :)

DAvid

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
now that's just plain nasty :)
It was the personal ads forum that grassed you up! I'm not going to speculate on why you had to sell that last drysuit though. That would be *really* nasty ;)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not a hijack - I was also wondering what you do about that. I mean, my knife's been on my LPI for years and I've never sharpened it. I'd feel pretty stupid, actually, running my poxy dive knife up and down a whetstone [GOLEM VOICE MODE] "Come here, my pretties, here fishy wishy wishies. Come and be hypnotised by the flashing blade of my weapon and let me examine you with Jason P's gloves" [/GOLEM VOICE MODE].

Tom, when you say you've 'tested' them, what exactly does that mean? Tested for what? How?

Many thanks for the shears stuff - I'll go shopping.

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Tom, when you say you've 'tested' them, what exactly does that mean? Tested for what? How?
Usually by trying to cut something, and seeing if it works.

Sometimes I accidentally stab myself too, blood is another good sign of sharpness.

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts

Many thanks for the shears stuff - I'll go shopping.
my dive knive has serrated edges so its hard to test, but my pocket knife is blunt when it wont shave the hairs off my arm !

David

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Sigh.....7 years I've had my knife and it's still as sharp as me....oh...hang on maybe that's a bad analogy!!!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts