YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

My son just bought this "Diveyak" off EBAY. It's pretty nifty but I don't think I'd be able to hoik my kit on it without it just plopping over the other side! Has anyone got one? Is it just a pig in a poke?

It is OK to pootle around the bay on though.

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
I've got the Ocean Kayak 'Drifter', it's a bit bigger and takes a 10L in the rear recess OK, A 12L sticks out a bit much. A couple of 5L works best, 1 set up on BCD in recess, 1 spare in front hatch. Loads of room in the front hatch to put your kit.

I use it in the summer for shallow dives that are just a little too far to swim, or just for enjoying the sea.

It's tied on like an SMB while underwater. The biggest problem is that I'm the only one with one, so I have to dive solo, what's new?

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
I think they are a great idea, I've looked at them longingly in the past....the only catch being time and distance tot he coast :(

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have had one for a few years say it in the staes on holiday and had to bring it back, I have to admit I have never used it to dive from been used lots in the lochs and sea, but I am just not to sure of being able to get back aboard, I can see me diving then having to tow it to the shore behind me. Good bit of kit though and really well made, tough as old boots mines just survied a hebridian winter mored of my local slip so I could get out on clam days.

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
I think they are a great idea, I've looked at them longingly in the past....the only catch being time and distance tot he coast :(
You could take it in the car instead of paddling down the river.

Chris

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
I think they look great, and you could get across Portland Harbour and do some of the wrecks off of that, they are buoyed so you could even tie it off to the buoy.

There is a 2 seater version about as well.

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

That's rather posh. I think if 2 people had them and went together, one could steady the kayack and the other could load the kit. Maybe I'll have a go next time he is down here so long as there is surface cover to help me heave my frame back on board. On the other hand, the tail lift on the dive boat is so nice ad easy........

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I think they look great, and you could get across Portland Harbour and do some of the wrecks off of that, they are buoyed so you could even tie it off to the buoy.

Yeah I can just see you wheezing about in one......hanging out of your hoop by the time you get to the dive site!!! (and then getting mown down by one of those ginormic freighters carrying teddy bears from China).:teeth:

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
What would happen if it capsized, would you loose all your dive kit??
No, it's strapped into the recess on the back, the smaller stuff goes into the front compartment.

I've seen em in use here, they are a great piece of kit. You have a lenght of rope with carabiner tied on; when you arrive back at the kayak, you clip the carabiner to a D-ring, inflate it all, then remove bcd etc.

/Getting back on is just like climbing onto a horse, except you have fins, you throw a leg over and remove them, next, balancing carefully, you drag your assembled backpack etc on board, lie it in the recess, tidy it all up, strap it in. Small bits goe in the compartment, fins go on the front under a bungeed net and you're off.

Not good for twin 15s though.

One other issue, you are exercising after, by paddling, so think about that, although with this sort of diving, you're unlikely to go close to NDL, but I think it's a factor to be aware of, maybe sit there for 10 mins, have a drink of water etc before paddling off for the horizon.

Me - I'm looking at this feller ATM.

eBay Australia: 4.3m ISLAND INFLATABLE Boat WOOD-FLOOR. This is HUGE (item 160107868328, end time 28-Apr-07 11:19:08 AEST)

(That's 800 quid in your money.)

Ideal for me, I wouldn't be going on 20km+ trips we do in the club boat but it will be great for getting me and the boys into some of the good spots closer in. Won't be so reliant on the lottery of getting a place on the club boat either.

I already have a 14ft aluminium which was great for fishing when the lads were younger....I've dived off it but it's very tricky and a PITA. Particularly getting back in.

Back in the 80s, this is all we used to dive off. Bit wet but I can live with that.

Still OK to fish off too.

·
Registered
220 Posts
That's rather posh. I think if 2 people had them and went together, one could steady the kayack and the other could load the kit. Maybe I'll have a go next time he is down here so long as there is surface cover to help me heave my frame back on board. On the other hand, the tail lift on the dive boat is so nice ad easy........

*giggle* PV, I will if you will.... I reckon we should try this now you're in Weymouth. Could we make it a weekday for our first try though, to ensure minimal audiences?

Anyone know if we'd need a licence for Portland Harbour if we were diving off one of these?

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
They are really stable in the water, I can sit with both legs over the same side without in capsizing, as long as I don't look over the side at the same time :D

I also have a pair of folding wheels on a frame that fit in the front hatch. I just wheel the whole lot into the water, fold up the wheels and stow them, then paddle off. I have a long piece of rope with loads of carabiners on it to clips the kit off when getting in/out of the water.

The kayak itself is so easy to get on from the water, even without fins.

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
*giggle* PV, I will if you will.... I reckon we should try this now you're in Weymouth. Could we make it a weekday for our first try though, to ensure minimal audiences?

Anyone know if we'd need a licence for Portland Harbour if we were diving off one of these?
Oh all right, we'll take some beer and go snorkelling first. If we can get on with our flippers, we'll take some weeny tanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts