YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Scary indeed - If proven, I can see UWATECs sales taking a dent - and quite rightly so !!

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Correct me if I am wrong but did this not involve Aladin AIR X nitrox computers sold prior to 1995.  ?

I am not trying to make light of the situation but this may cause undue concern to divers using other Uwatec computers.

Daz

·
He that is called 'Dundee', from the clan 'Dundee'
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Daz,

I believe tis so!

Unfortunately there are quite a few of these evil beasties still around, passed on unwittingly through the second hand market. Hence the big noise in the USA about bad experiences in July 2002 or thereabouts.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>OK got it....

Valid point for anyone using an Aladin Air X (Nitrox ?).  I believe that the date of manufactor is stamped on the back near where the straps attach to the main body.

If anyone does happen to have one manufactored in 1995 or earlier they should contact their dealer...  I think they now replace them with Air Z Nitrox.

Daz

·
Registered
288 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>As someone looking to buy their first computer this makes grim reading as I was looking for a good second hand model to start out with, and was discussing Aladdins with somebody on Sunday!!

Lets hope its just this model. Anyone know of other makes that have had problems??
Cheers

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

John
I have a similar profile to yours and bought a Suunto Favor, very basic, limited deco and no nitrox but for <£100 what do you want.
If I go nitrox I'll probably stay on air tables anyway as extra safety so the pooter will still do the biz. after that it will be a back-up lump, maybe in a year or two's time.

Big dial - easily read, conservative model and has a back light.

Worth a look anyway.
Matt

·
Registered
453 Posts
Imported post

John,
Suunto Vytecs were subject to a safety recall last year - the early models had a problem with the SIMPLAN function - serial numbers are on their web-site (www.suunto.fi).
I can't complain about their service though - bought mine in April '02, finally got around to sending it back a couple of weeks ago, and I got a new computer within three day - Thank you very much Suunto UK.
(PS I'd recommend a Suunto as a first computer too, but maybe a Vyper that you would be able to grow into as your diving progresses)
Regards

Robert

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Robert wasnt SIMPLAN just the software that downloaded info to your PC, it wasnt anything to do with Nitrogen loading etc, if I recall correctly, so there was no diver danger.
Agree there are better Suunto's than Favor, depending on what you want it for, but its a cheap ascent warning device etc. and who knows what new pooter will be out this time next year for less than what we paid this?
Matt

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Funny though aint it - models up to 1995 affected. Its now 2003 - by my reckoning 8 years for this to come to light !!

Now do you trust them given that its alledgedly been covered up for so long
- Not a chance !!!

Wonder how many folk got `hits` due to this??

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I use an Air Z as my main computer and a Suunto Favor for backup (in my pocket).  

Personally I don't have any complaints with either,  I would definitely consider a Suunto Vyper or Vytec as a replacement though.

At the end of the day John it is a judgement call on your part based on the price and availability of a second hand computer,  I do think the whole Air X cover up is a scandal but if I  ruled out a manufactor because they had recalled a product I would be walking to dive sites and heaven knows what regs I would use.

Daz

·
Registered
365 Posts
Imported post

I've used the same Aladin Pro for the last 10 years and have never had any problems with it (apart from when the battery chucked it during a dive, so much for the low battery warning), its a sturdy, good computer, although I hate the very small display (my eyes aint what they used to be).  I'm surprised to find that the Air X is causing problems.  With this in mind does anyone want to buy a second hand Aladin Pro with 10 years under its belt?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.