YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Does anyone have any information on the Branksome (Sussex - off Eastbourne), more commonly known as the Pottery Wreck (yes, that is the reason).

I have tried searching the web under both names using Google but could find nothing. It is mentioned in Dive Sussex but I wanted to check out in more depth, esp about the cargo (as in where and when).

I guess this must have been asked many times BUT are any sites recommended to go to for wreck information (I found a few sites but they required subscriptions).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Imported post

First place I start is Divernet. The wreck tours are great for dive briefings. And its free.
Otherwise, BSAC website has some links, and also you can get the phone numbers of clubs in the area, who may be able to give you some local knowledge. Whitby SAC were great with us on a recent trip
Best wishes

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MartinS @ Aug. 13 2003,13:54)]Hi Finless
Channel Diving's website mention the wreck as 'Branksome Chine' on their Eastbourne Page - maybe give them a call and see if someone can put you onto some info regarding the wreck - there's nothing on DNet about it.
HTH
Martin
Martin,

I was diving from Nauticat when we did this wreck. Steve, the owner of Nauticat owns the Channel Diver web site. The viz was not that great but had a nice bimble around - max depth was abt 36 mtrs.

I have been trying to find some info about the Branksome Chine on the web - to no avail so far.

Tks
Bryan

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

I got the following info from an Admiralty web page :-

BRANKSOME CHINE, collier, lost 1915, February 23, British Isles.

... but that was all the info it had.

·
Respected Wreck-diving Author & Resident Farnes Ex
666 Posts
Imported post

Hi Guys
The BRANKSOME CHINE was ex ANNA,  2,026-tons, built 1899 owned by the Branksome China Steam Ship Co. Ltd (Harper H.G. & Co. Cardiff). She was on passage from Grimsby for Portsmouth with a cargo of coal when she was torpedoed and sunk by SM U 8, 6-miles E by S from Beachy Head.

Cheers Ron

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Young @ Aug. 13 2003,17:18)]Forgot the date she was sunk---23 February 1915
Ron,

Thank you for the information. Did you find this info on the web?

Rgds
Bryan Salt

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Young @ Aug. 14 2003,10:49)]Hi Finless

No, in reference books.

Cheers Ron
Books, I remember them.

I have got so used to finding wreck info on the WWW that I can't believe there is virtually no info on this wreck. Oh well.

Sorry to be a pest, would you let me know the name of the book. I will, weather gods permitting, be diving this wreck again on 13th Sept and would like to dig out some info on it (hopefull from my local Library).

Thanks in advance.

Bryan

·
Respected Wreck-diving Author & Resident Farnes Ex
666 Posts
Imported post

Hi Bryan

The book that came from is British Merchant Ships sunk by U-boat in the 191401918 War by A.J. Tennent, but there is nothing else in a bout it.

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Young @ Aug. 14 2003,20:17)]Hi Bryan

The book that came from is British Merchant Ships sunk by U-boat in the 191401918 War by A.J. Tennent, but there is nothing else in a bout it.
Noted - ta (again) for the info.

Rgds
Bryan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Imported post

Finless, This is unlikely to be the Branksome Chine which was carrying coal . Next dive check out the rest of the cargo some of the pottery is marked royal belgium I have an idea what it is but cannot prove it yet.

keep looking B Low C

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (blowc @ Aug. 22 2003,22:24)]Finless, This is unlikely to be the Branksome Chine which was carrying coal . Next dive check out the rest of the cargo some of the pottery is marked royal belgium I have an idea what it is but cannot prove it yet.

keep looking B Low C
B Low C,

I believe that marks on the pottery show the word Belgium. I will (weather permitting) be diving it on the 13th Sept - and will have another good look.

BTW - I sent an e mail to you from within the forum which was returned due to an e mail address error. Maybe your e mail details on YD are no longer correct ?

Rgds
Bryan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts