YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Campain to get a new wreck - a Clipper no less.

There is a clipper in the Scottich Maratime Museum which could be demolished as there is not funding to rebuild her. We could all get together to pressure the Museum to sink her - Thus giving us a NEW WRECK.... See below...

I read today the BBC news article that a Clipper (The Carrick) at the Scottish Maratime Museum may be demolished. Its a ship not too dissimilar to the Cutty Sark, which caught fire today.

So I followed the link to the Scottich Maratime Museum's site and asked the following:

I read today that plans to demolish the Clipper The Carrick are to be put on hold after the recent fire at the Cutty Sark.
Could I ask if the Carrick is to be disposed of, that it be sunk in a loch on the West coast of Scotland? There it could be dived on, and provide a new wreck for local and visiting divers, which may help to promote the local ecconomy? Locally there is the Akka ther Sister ship to the Thistlegorm which proves very popular, in the Red Sea.
Yours faithfully
Dave Crampton

If you want to see a new wreck off the west coast of Scotland do the same.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Campain to get a new wreck - a Clipper no less.

There is a clipper in the Scottich Maratime Museum which could be demolished as there is not funding to rebuild her. We could all get together to pressure the Museum to sink her - Thus giving us a NEW WRECK.... See below...

I read today the BBC news article that a Clipper (The Carrick) at the Scottish Maratime Museum may be demolished. Its a ship not too dissimilar to the Cutty Sark, which caught fire today.

So I followed the link to the Scottich Maratime Museum's site and asked the following:

I read today that plans to demolish the Clipper The Carrick are to be put on hold after the recent fire at the Cutty Sark.
Could I ask if the Carrick is to be disposed of, that it be sunk in a loch on the West coast of Scotland? There it could be dived on, and provide a new wreck for local and visiting divers, which may help to promote the local ecconomy? Locally there is the Akka ther Sister ship to the Thistlegorm which proves very popular, in the Red Sea.
Yours faithfully
Dave Crampton

If you want to see a new wreck off the west coast of Scotland do the same.
Why not sweep up the bits that are left from the Cutty Sark, put them in a bag and chuck them into Stony or Capers, just right for all the duck pond divers, they can start taking the bits home as learning curve for their wrecking career when they finally go into sea water.

Hmm I'm not bitter.

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
The Carrick has already sunk in the Clyde at least once already (probably how she ended up in the state she's in). She was a well known site in Glasgow, she used to be tied up on the north bank of the Clyde in the city centre and ended up on the bottom one night.

I was a kid when I last saw the Carrick and she was in decent shape. IIRC she was used as some sort of cadet training ship so generally looked good. It's quite disheartening to see the picture on the BBC website, it's a mess. Must admit I didn't know she was a clipper as I don't remember masts on her but it has been, er, some years (and quite a lot of red wine).

When I was a student I worked on the project to re-design the old engineering works in Irvine where the SMM is now housed, the idea being that the refurbished Carrick would be the centrepiece. I'm a bit shocked that 15yrs on nothing has come of it.

Cheers,

Stuart

·
Retired
2,054 Posts
I recieved this today:

Following seven years of attempting to find a new owner or viable restoration schemes, without success, the Scottish Maritime Museum sought listed building consent to deconstruct the City of Adelaide in the summer of 2006. Conditional approval was granted by North Ayrshire Council in February 2007 and a panel of experts has been assembled to establish the method, or methods, of deconstruction that will gain the greatest insight into the original construction of the vessel. The first meeting of this group is scheduled for the end of May and it is anticipated that the various proposals and associated costs will be known by the late summer. Funding will then be sought for the work to be carried out.

The following statement was issued by the Chairman of the Trustees of the Scottish Maritime Museum on 21st May 2007

Statement from the Scottish Maritime Museum

The news of the fire on Cutty Sark and the possible damage to her very important iron frames is exceptionally sad and we very much hope that detailed examination will establish that the damage is not as severe as first thought.

The Trustees of the Scottish Maritime Museum are very concerned at the potential loss of our maritime heritage especially as the Museum has entered the final phase of preparing for the deconstruction of the City of Adelaide. We are continuing with the process and a panel of experts will be meeting next week to prepare the brief.

The City of Adelaide is an older clipper ship than the Cutty Sark and built for passengers rather than fast cargo carrying but together they represent the last 19th century composite clipper ships in the world.

It has been with very great regret that the Trustees have been forced, through lack of funding for the work of the museum and the preservation of its national collections, to go through with the deconstruction of the City of Adelaide.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts