YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Last Friday night it was blowing a gale in not so sunny Bexhill and  I had a dive booked for Sat morning - oh ‘ollocks. A 7 pm call to the skipper - surprise surprise “he thinks it is OK for Sat morning”. I wasn’t sure if I was disappointed or not as it means missing the Friday night demonstration of the sin of beer gluttony and the customary Sat morning hangover + all the kit to get ready + the vis will be crap. Oh well.

5 am Sat I am awoken by the alarm (having only got to sleep about 2 am) and anxiously squint out of the window “well it certainly looks calmer”. Leave Bexhill at 6am and head for Brighton and get loaded on the boat in time for a 7:30 leave. Despite the fact that the wind is still quite strong there only looks to be a 9 mtr swell – ‘kin ‘ell. A quick blink and my contact lenses settle back into place and so does the swell - to 1 to 2 mtrs.

I booked as a lone diver as everyone else from my part of the world was either ill, going to Birmingham or too into talking about diving. Fortunately I know the Skipper (of Nauticat – Steve Johnson) so I won’t be lonely and, as it turns out, one other person by name. As usual it doesn’t take long to get chatting to everyone.

The sea is a bit lumpy to say the least and despite not having gone out the night before and never normally suffering from sea sickness I felt a bit “iffy”. I started kitting up early so I could do it in stages and relax in between and let my stomach settle.

8:25 “get ready” is shouted from the wheelhouse – 08:30 I am fully ready and eager to get off the boat and into the water. A last double check that everything is connected and pressurised, lumber to the back and “OK Bryan, off you go”. Splash , “brilliant – right on the shot” – down I go.

Hit the sea bed at 32 mtrs and all I can see is a tiny piece of metal sticking out of the sand but I appear to be in a scour hole so I pick a direction and start heading upwards and abt a minute later there is the wreck. I stay at sea bed level and follow the wreck round and pick up some scallops (for a friend) then at the pointy end I head upwards and back along the over the wreck. Vis is a pleasantly surprising 3+ mtrs AND there is a tiny bit of ambient light.

I pass a number of “edible crabs” before finding a nice juicy looking spider crab (once again for my friend who swears they are better eating than the “edibles”). Ooh look, a nice big conger, ooh look a conger tail “ I wonder if they are connected”. A quick stroke of the tail produces movement at one end but not the other – I guess it must two different congers.

There are loads of pollack, pouting, wrasse and some bass (I think – had fins, a mouth, a tail and was shiny  
) but I don’t see any lobsters – not that it would make any difference to the contents of my goody bag as I am not hard enough to take on a lobster.

Then I just mooch around peering in, up, down and under – all the while cursing the goody bag which keeps getting snagged. This problem is made worse when I add several lead weights found on the wreck and I am now bouncing along. “Sod this, why did I have to pick up the lead” A check of my computer shows I have moved into deco so I tie off and send the bag up attached to my SMB. I then stay within sight of my big yellow reel and discover I appear to have found the toilets to spend my last minutes on the wreck.

I eventually start upwards when I am showing 20  minutes of deco. On the surface I can’t see the boat and am just reaching for my collapsible flag when the boat appears over the swell. Back on board the tea is ready but no doughnuts and I have just had a marvellous dive - life is nearly perfect (no doughnuts = nearly).

As I was the first one down the shot I got told off for not having tied the shot to the bit of wreck that I could see (last time I got told off for not pulling it out of the wreck!!) – it appears to have been dragging and two of the 9 divers aboard were doing an unplanned drift over the sandy bottom. They later admit the wreck was in sight but they lost it after concentrating on some scallops (I think).

I and one other (Howard) are the only ones who express an interest in trying an inshore drift. We try to do this as a buddy pair but I lose sight of him immediately, at 3 mtrs it is pitch black and at 3 inches from the bottom I can just see it in my torch light. Oh well I tried.

When back home I call Rob (Evans the YBOD) to see how he got on with his dive on the Moldavia – only to find he was ill and didn’t go. As I describe my dive everything doubles in value – the vis, the quantity of fish – just to p him off. He knows me too well and halves everything. I find out from him that I have been diving with a fellow YD’er (Diving Dude) and didn’t even know it. Small world isn’t it – or are YD’ers taking over?

Nice to have met you DD.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Aha! So I'll take that as 1.5m vis and pitch black on the Waterford then eh? And no life either. Don't lie to me Salt, I know you get narked in the shower..

Bitter? Twisted? Yep.

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rob Evans @ Nov. 17 2003,13:53)]Aha! So I'll take that as 1.5m vis and pitch black on the Waterford then eh? And no life either. Don't lie to me Salt, I know you get narked in the shower..

Bitter? Twisted? Yep.
For the purposes of this report all exagerations were restored to "actuals".

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

No no no no.... you said 3m on the phone. What have I told you about wearing 2 sets of contact lenses at the same time?

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rob Evans @ Nov. 17 2003,14:24)]No no no no.... you said 3m on the phone. What have I told you about wearing 2 sets of contact lenses at the same time?
Well, it makes sense to me. If one set of lenses improve my eyesight it only stands to reason that two sets will be better. I would have worn 3 sets of lenses but I found I couldn't close my eyelids together.

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Yeah nice to meet you Finless, even though l didn't realise it was you.

When l saw your ffm l nearly asked.

l tagged a report on to Andy Ps Moldovia thread.

Are you going out with Steve again this year? l'm planning on going on the 29th Nov, 7th Dec and 28th of December, wifee doesn't know that yet.

How could you have not realised who l was, crazy coloured drysuit with a silly hood is a bit of a givaway.

Added
And Robs right you DO look like your avatar.

Also you seem to have both Robs and my alocation of hair.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Imported post

I'm out with Steve as well on the 7th so I look forward to seeing the crazy hood. Check with steve though about the 28th Dec - I asked for spaces on that dive and was told wasn't doing it now as he was going abroad. If its still on could you drop me a line.

Cheers

steve flint

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

No Steve won't be skipper on the 28th, the boats been booked by Orca Diving Club,
Last Saturday they only had seven people for the 28th Dec so l booked two places.
l've misplaced  the scrap of paper with their phone number, l'll PM you when l find it.

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (diving dude @ Nov. 17 2003,18:52)]Yeah nice to meet you Finless, even though l didn't realise it was you.

When l saw your ffm l nearly asked.

l tagged a report on to Andy Ps Moldovia thread.

Are you going out with Steve again this year? l'm planning on going on the 29th Nov, 7th Dec and 28th of December, wifee doesn't know that yet.

How could you have not realised who l was, crazy coloured drysuit with a silly hood is a bit of a givaway.

Added
And Robs right you DO look like your avatar.

Also you seem to have both Robs and my alocation of hair.
Well I didn't recognise you because ... well... If I see you again it is because you are much better looking than your avatar suggests AND if I don't ......

Yes, I will be going out again but at the moment I have only booked for 28th Dec. I am sure I will see you on one of those days - weather permitting of course.

I won't be bothering doing the drift dive though.

Rgds
Bryan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts