YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Delta Diaries, A couple of good wrecks and a few cock-up's.

Dive1

Surprisingly, I had to wait till the 7pm forecast to see if the dive was on. I had been told to prepare for a deep one with the wreck apparently at 75m. I was having fun with my mini-booster so the 16/50 I had managed to cobble together would have to make do.

5am leave and a cruse down to Little Hampton to be told its probably going to be a little rough so we canned the plan and were going to have a look at the Donegal in 50m. If the viz is no good we would move on to the German wreck in 65

Ho hum, thank God for the flexibility of CCR.

As it turned out the worst we faced were waves of about a foot so I think Ian McGaskle did the forecast

Today I was to meet Dave R for the first time, A Portsmouth based diver on a KISS unit. Dave was a DIR diver way back in the early days but he’s since moved on to diving a Sports KISS. I asked him why? He said the gas cost of OC and deep wrecks just didn’t work so they couldn’t fill the boats. I liked him instantly :D

His tanks were marked up with his initials DIR which I found most amusing. Do you think he’s the only diver ever to go DIR because his name tags matched :D

Dave mid pic.

The viz on the Donegal looked doable so we settled in to wait for slack water.

Dave agreed to lay the line and I was going to take pics but the day was badly overcast and viz on the Donegal is usually poor due to its location near a river estuary, so in the end I changed my mind. I should have opted to lay the line today but I didn’t and this was going to cost me tomorrow

The Donegal was built in 1885 and sunk by torpedo via UC21 in 1917 with the loss of 11 soles. At the time she was in service as a hospital ship.

Dave and I dropped in third to find 5-6m of viz with stringy plankton clumps. All in all very doable. We mozied along up to the bow having a good look see and I found a nice 4-5lb lobster for the wife God and wasted no time bagging it up. We found the chain locker and to the right I found a monster valve looking thing. It was bell shaped with a knob on one end and a cut out showing the internals. It looked really interesting and it looked to be brass but I decided it was too big a task and I wasn’t sure what the hell I would do with it anyway so I left it.

Dave pulled out his trusty DIR mini knife from the webbing sheath to cut the guide line and I laughed my arse off when he emerged with just a handle as the blade fell off.
I got my knife out and cut the line for him and we headed back to the shot. On rout I found the kitchen. There were four or five massive pots. It amused me to think they could be copper and worth the tight squeeze in to grab one but the squeeze was a little too tight and my desire was not strong enough to spur me on to more wiggling. Then at the last I found a massive porthole. It must have been 600-800mm across with intact glass and brass backed. It looked gettable and I had a quick go but we were out of bottom time and I was aware Dave was on tables so I didn’t want to mess up his plan on our first dive so I made a good mental note of where it was and left it for next time.

Deco was deco and we headed home on flat sea and in warm sunshine. It was a pleasure to dive with Dave he just did everything the way I like it. Nice and slow and predictable.

I followed Dave's deep stops to stay in touch which added 9 mins to my overall time. Hears the graph for anyone whos interested.

Tomorrows wreck sounded really interesting. The Doctor was all excited about it which is a good sign :D

ATB

Mark Chase

·
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Day2.

Up at 5 again and it is lashing down with rain and dark as hell. Fortunately the early morning divers are hard core and the traffic hadn’t been slowed too much by conditions and I made it to Little Hampton OK. Once there things looked much nicer but a monster cloud burst hit us soon after getting the kit on the boat.

Sea conditions were apparently going to be crap so the long range plan was canned again and we were going for the 65m banker wreck the Polandia. I can’t tell you much about her (we arent even sure of the name) as we haven figured it all out yet but it’s a steam ship from around the turn of the century. Kit was lashed down tight and we sat in harbour for over an hour because it was only a 20mile run out.

Janos had joined us today and this was to be his deepest CCR dive. Graham hadn’t made it so it looked like Janos Dave and I would be diving as a three. Janos and Dave’s exposure to DIR was going to come in handy.

I decided to take the camera in with the strobe for the first time. It’s a large and ungainly set up and of course like a twit I had opted to lay the line today as well. Dave did it yesterday and Janos was about to do a deep dive with an unfamiliar teem so I wasn’t going to ask him to do it.

The rain stopped and we set off into the cruel and unforgiving sea to be faced with flat calm conditions?? This was unbelievable. The 4-5 forecast wasn’t even a 1. I have to say I was feeling pretty pissed off that we missed two golden opportunities to go exploring but sod it the Polandia and the Donegal are fine wrecks.

On rout we picked up a very tired passenger:

A very casual cruse out got us on site nice and early and again my lot were third in. We hit the bottom of the shot and conditions looked 5-6m so I tied off the line on what is a very ship shaped wreck and usually easily navigable. As soon as we were 5m from the shot the viz cleared to a good 10mand we found ourselves directly over the china room.

I had planned to go in search of a porthole for Janos and do the china on the return leg but having the shot so close to it I felt it likely that the others would have a go too on the way back and I wanted to take a pick before they started routing around in the silt for the good stuff.

Janos grabbed a large platter which we set aside for collection on the return leg and I tried to take pictures but the camera strobe was playing up so they didn’t come out. I think Dave tolerated our spidging but wasn’t really into it so we were soon heading away from the china and on to the lamp locker.

On rout we came across the biggest lobster I have ever seen. I reckon 12lb+ with its main cutting claw at least the length of the 21W salvo torch head it was trying to bite.

Sorry for crap pic but the flash wasn’t having any of it.

We carried on and Dave and Janos had a great time mooching over the wreckage. I was having a foul time trying to stop the camera getting tangled in the guide line and vowed never to lay line and take a camera again. Fortunately viz was excellent so I just cut the line and carried on by pilotage.

On the return leg we once again visited the China room and I tried to grab another platter to match Janos and I got a lovely little coffee cup as a memento. With 40mins showing we headed to the Shot and Dave was already on the ascent. I tried to quickly bag up the china but the tide was running hard and Janos and I were struggling with the small spidge bag so I gave up at min 44 and signalled Janos to ascend. I cut the waster and we headed up Janos carrying a very large platter and me with a goody bag full of china. This made things a tad awkward but I decided to leave sorting it out till the first stop. We hit the 42m stop and Janos gave me the feeling dodgy sign and requested a bubble check. I couldn’t find anything wrong with his unit but I took the platter off him and eventually squeezed it into the goody bag.

Just in time as the shortly after Janos was a flurry of activity and he’d bailed out to OC. We were face to face and I could see he was doing OK so I checked his loop to see if there were bubbles coming from the mouthpiece. It all looked OK and Janos looked amazingly calm and he had switched his Shearwater to OC OK so we carried on the ascent.

I unclipped the station at 32m and at last we were out of the drag of the tide and free to hang mid water. At 21 Jnaos switched to 50% no problem and I watched him check the Shearwater again. I turned my 50% on and made sure the reg was available for him if needs be then tried to figure out how to get rid of the china.

Dave was with us and playing a watching brief so I decided to drop off the line and fin away clear of the up line so I could bag up the china. I decided to use my mini C02 blob to lift it but this turned out to be a mistake twice over.

I cracked the bottle which might have been adequate to send up the SMB but it didn’t lift the china. I was faced with having to use the air line mid water so I had a think about it and decided to have a go. In the end it went off OK and I was pleased to be free of the heavy goody bag. I went back over to Janos to resume my watching brief.

I checked his gas and there was no way he was going to finish deco on the 7ltr of 50%. Sure we had my Ali80 but I decided to send for the drop tank. I showed Janos the yellow bag and signalled the intent and I waited for the 9m stop before sending up the bag.

John came over and assessed the situation and signalled me to send up the bag now. So I went out into the blue again and sent it up. 10mins later a 10ltr of 70% was on its way. It felt a long time before we got the tank but apparently me sending up spidge on a SMB had confused the boat into thinking they had a drifting diver so this delayed things a tad.

In the end the tank appeared and I went over to drag it back to the station. I was surprised at it being only 70% I was expecting the tank of 100 but it would do the job so Janos switched and reprogrammed his Shearwater.

Mean time I had had a CNS warning on my unit. All my fafing around had resulted in me running a high PP02 on ascent and I had left it to drop by its self and ended up with 100CNS with a fair bit of deco left to do.

I dill flushed down to 0.8 and staid there for a while before slowly bringing it up to 1.6 for the final leg of deco.

Janos was now happily loaded with gas and resigned himself to the deco commitment buffered by the music on his MP3 player.

Oh and any one who thinks steel 10s don’t float. Check out the pick of the 10 with 70% in.

Deco done and back on the boat we were presented with the bill for the gas and a document to sign admitting to our muppetry. The hand writing wasn’t easy to read so I have no idea what I have counter signed but I believe it involves me being a twat for sending up spidge on a SMB.

I asked why we were sent the 70% instead of the tin of 100% and Don John turns round and said F#ck me Mark he’s only a guest, he doesn’t deserve the good stuff :D

I think to be honest they realised we weren’t on the 6m bar yet (they could have seen us if we were) so they felt we might need the gas breathable deeper than 6m :D

Janos spent a few mins analysing the totally flooded scrubber on his kiss and explaining that the unit had gurgled a bit but on the ascent he lost all ability to breathe out and started to taste a hint of sodalime so he bailed.

Then he spent the rest of the trip going on about how great the dive was.

This was Janos deepest ever dive and I have to say he was incredibly composed and competent throughout the little adventure. Many divers faced with two hours deco and bailing out would no doubt have been less calm and collected. I am now 100% convinced that in Janos case at least having both tanks left was in no way a hindrance to bailing out. He did it quickly and without undue fuss.

Well done M8 I think I was more scared than you were :D

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Driving my truck with my high-heels on...
5,509 Posts
Nice report as usual & kudo's to Janos for the composure under duress .:D

·
DIR since '64
261 Posts
It was a pleasure to dive with you too Mark ( & Janos ) Great couple of days & good company on the boat - which makes the time on those long rides out & back fly by.:angel:

There are several reasons why I binned OC diving, these being, in order of priority:

1) Gas logistics of doing multi-days diving.
I enjoy all types of wreck diving and found going between mix and nitrox diving a logistical nightmare. The year before I went CCR, I was running around with 4 twinsets in the car, to enable me to get the dives in. Particularly if the dives got canceled, I was always left with the 'wrong mix' - on CCR there isn't such a thing - particularly as I always dive with at least 50% helium, even for a 20m dip. In the last few days I have done a 50m, 65m then 35m all on the same gas. I wouldn't have been able to do the 35m one at the end on OC as I wouldn't have been able to get a fill in time ( all 7 o'clock leaves and late - backs ) Also any last minute changes of dive plan can easily be accommodated on CCR.

2) Safety on dives >50m. On OC, any problems in the last few minutes of the dive really eat into any contingency gas. My regular dive buddy on a 60m dive got a fishing hook caught in his fin just as he was starting his ascent. By the time he had realised and then fixed the problem, the contingency gas was more or less spent and he only just got to the first gas switch. On CCR the impact of a delayed ascent is just the deco penalty as you have virtually unlimited gas.

3) Cost. I enjoy living 5 minutes from the sea and as a result don't get paid a 6 figure city salary. On OC now, I would only be able to afford a few mix dives per month. On CCR, all my dives are mix and it only costs me about £5 in gas per dive now. I buy a twinset full of 100% He each year, which cost £70 and a 3l fill of 100% costs £6 which lasts 3 dives.

4) No narcosis - diving with >50% helium on all dives is very enjoyable for me. It is a side-effect benefit of CCR but well worth the effort IMO.

5) Expedition diving. Going to remote places where it isn't possible to get the vast quantities of gas/helium that OC requires limits what diving can be safely done. OK you can do deep-air in places like Truk, but that isn't my thing.

6) Pushing the bottom time. I am booked to dive Donegal/Malin Head this year ( from Loyal Watcher ) I did the trip back in 2005 on OC and had limited bottom time due to gas constraints. Going to North of Ireland is always a lottery with the weather and getting on the big wrecks such as Justicia or Audacious isn't guaranteed on any trip. I failed to get on the Justicia the last time, due to the weather. This time I am intending to get nice long safe dives when ever the conditions allow and kick the arse out of the dive as they say ;-)

Looking forward to diving you again Mark. I can collect tat and lobsters for you next time - I'll bring a bag.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Great report, glad it all worked out well in the end :)

·
Is fully Mod 1'd up
878 Posts
Great report, an enjoyable read

Cheers

Adam

·
Registered
297 Posts
top report mark
good to here you all had 2 good dives
even with the problems with janos unit
good to here that all went well for him,
keeping cool under that type pessure, top man
safe diving
dave

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
6) Pushing the bottom time. I am booked to dive Donegal/Malin Head this year ( from Loyal Watcher ) I did the trip back in 2005 on OC and had limited bottom time due to gas constraints. Going to North of Ireland is always a lottery with the weather and getting on the big wrecks such as Justicia or Audacious isn't guaranteed on any trip. I failed to get on the Justicia the last time, due to the weather. This time I am intending to get nice long safe dives when ever the conditions allow and kick the arse out of the dive as they say ;-)
l dived Donegal on Loyal Watcher on oc in 2005 and it was that trip that persuaded me that RB was the way to go.
l think six or seven people from that trip are now on rb's.

Coincidentally l'm dragging Chaseys arse around on the wrecks in Donegal in Sept this year. :D

Good report Mark and at least it saves me having to go to the NDC to do a deep open circuit bailout which is what Janos wanted to do. :D

·
Wreck Enthusiast
4,161 Posts
Good write up as ever Mark, nice one - and nicely done Janos for keeping calm and turning a problem into a bit of a non-event.

Just goes to show how important it is to have agreed procedures with the surface cover too :)

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
Excellent report as usual Mark.

Good to hear the three of you got on well together in the water, and well done Janos.

Now will you please stop talking about CCR, I spent some time yesterday with 3 KISS divers and I want one, but my bank balance says Noooo! The fact that I had to shorten two dives due to gas restraints, and a YD member on SCR just changes over his 4L tank and say "what gas shortage" really didn't help my bank managers prospects :D

·
Registered
247 Posts
Mark,

Nice report - those wrecks sound good. I must get out in the channel more -the wrecks just sound more interesting and in great viz.

Dave R - did not realise you are on CCR - believe you belong to the same club as me?. Southsea SAC?. Agree with the reasons for CCR - just moved myself - although not using mix yet.

Janos - respect on the OC bailout. Sounds like it was a good team effort with Mark signalling the boat etc - glad to see the spidge got priority though :teeth: :teeth:.

TBH I am not experienced with this deco station business - is that something that the boat uses or do you take it along with you as a team/group???

ATB

Roy

·
DIR since '64
261 Posts
TBH I am not experienced with this deco station business - is that something that the boat uses or do you take it along with you as a team/group???
The Delta team have it as their standard operating procedure (sop) and have been doing it for over 10 years. Similarly their are other groups who use voyager, who also prefer the deco station approach. The first pair in tie-in the shot and the second pair clip the station to the shot via a quick-release. Each pair/team puts a tag onto a ring near the release, so the last pair can release the station by knowing everyone else is above them. The complecation comes when there are missing divers and the station can also be released at the top after a period of time. Each team supplies their own station, but must work closely with the skipper on the deployment and use.

90% of my diving involves bagging off - even for 70m dives. It is sop for most of the south coast boats. I regularly dive mid-channel in the shipping lanes and provided a plan is agreed and executed by everyone, there are no issues. Diving in 3s also helps here as each of the 4 teams have plenty of resources to fix most problems. Obviously on ccr, you don't take all possible bailout so drop tanks of 100% are available on the boat, with their own deployment system. This enables the skipper to just chuck a bottle in on a yellow bag.

I am cool either way, but out of preference prefer bagging off as then don't have to get back to the shot.

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Just got back from a couple of excellent days in Swanage after Friday's superb dive.

It's been the first time the KISS has let me down (I blame Mark's influence) and actually I wasn't that worried. Having Mark and Dave with me, complete with deco gas, and of course another four or five divers on the trapeze (with full bailout tanks) and the drop bottle etc meant that I was never really worried that I would run out of gas, and I had plenty available to do my very conservative deco.

It just goes to show the importance of having a good team procedure.

Janos

PS - Full trip report coming in a day or two once I have had time to write it up.

·
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi,

Janos, what caused the flood do you think? What were the symptoms, effects and at what point did you think, I can't salvage this, and bail out?

Dave C
I cant answer the first bit but I know the answer to the second, he couldent breath out on loop.

So semi closed as an option is out O2 rebreather is out its bail out to OC and do alllllll the deco OC.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
I think I see an important lesson there for me. I carry a 7ltr ali when diving, for bailout. If I do anything deep(er) I will buy another as one 7ltr doesn't go far. Plus I can carry a deep bailout and shallow deco mix.

·
www.finingaround.co.uk
1,826 Posts
I think I see an important lesson there for me. I carry a 7ltr ali when diving, for bailout. If I do anything deep(er) I will buy another as one 7ltr doesn't go far. Plus I can carry a deep bailout and shallow deco mix.

It's somthing I think people don't pay enough attention to!

you actually try a bail out assent and you'll be supprised how quickly you chew though gas. Now double it cos your not overly happy!

I still regularly dive OC and my SAC is low teens on a fairly average dive.

I bailed out on one dive in Scapa a few weeks ago and my SAC was in low 30's. I would not say I was particularly stressed when I bumped in to some one at the begining of my assent I declined the offer of a buddy to the surface as I felt in control and perfectly happy with the situation. I dread to think what my SAC would have been like had I been bricking it!

Another example I had a CO2 hit on descent and used a full 7ltr worth of gas on a 7 minute assent from 40m

I for one will continue to take the insults and constant ribbing on being captain bail out. I've also fitted a visa swipe machine to the counterlungs for the more alpine divers who strangly enough know where I am even when not diving with me!

Fin

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
I did something recently, which I never finished off. I tried simulating a dive on the VR3 (on the PC) then bailing out to air at the end of the dive. I wanted to get a table together so I had an idea of what deco increase I would have on varying dives. I can then use this to plan bailout volumes prior to dives. I have some bailout tables Paul Channing did a while ago. I might also have alook at them too.

I know the VR3 will tell me what deco I have if I bail out and change the VR3 settings, but it would be usefull to have an idea of this prior to the bailout, at the worst time, so I can plan bailout accordingly.

Dave C

·
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Out of interest and if you missed it on RBW: All these on a 20SAC

58mdive for 60mins bailout plan. Just 660 bar required in a 7ltr of 50% and 250 bar of 18/45 :D

Hear is my actual bailout plan for a 45min dive to 65m using an Ali80 and a Steel10 and running a 125%GF :eek:

Here is a plan for 35mins at 45m using a single 7ltr of 32% as bailout and running normal deco 20/80GF 350bar required.

It makes you think when you sit down to do the math :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts