YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

The dive knife... - Worth keeping?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

When I was first starting out, I bought myself a nice shiny 6" dive knife - with a smooth edge, saw-edge, net-cutting notch, and pointy end.

I've never used it, and I have rather more faith in my trauma shears to get me out of a line entanglement.

So: Should I flog it on ebay, or are there really times when a knife can do something that shears can't?

(Bearing in mind I don't hunt down wildlife while I'm down there)

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

I have shears but still carry a knife tiewrapped onto my BC hose - have to say it is mainly used for opening beer bottles, sandwich spreading and filleting scallies (the shellfish not the scouser variety.... but come to think off it  
 )

It has come in useful for scraping at things and digging things out and generally hitting things. Those "things" tend to be non-sentient I hasten to add. Shears are not as useful for that side of things.

Simon.

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Jan. 08 2004,15:11)]I've never used it, and I have rather more faith in my trauma shears to get me out of a line entanglement.
i'm sure there are plenty of mildly useful things that it could be used for, but probably nothing important that the shears can't do better

i personally wouldn't (and don't) bother with one

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

Ever tried stabbing a flattie with shears - bloody useless I should think.

I carry both shears and knife. Different tools for different purposes. Opening scallops on the boat for instance.

Adrian

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

But for somebody who doesn't eat seafood..?

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Cutting through a decent thickness of rope. You just can't cut a thick hemp rope with shears, as it won't fit between the blades. This is unlikely to be a hazard to you, but if you had to cut a line free of a shot that was on thick rope, you might need it.

I used a very big, blunt and rusty knife when I had to sort out thick ropes on anchor lines. Much easier to untie the thing and send it up on a bag or cut and retie it when it's caught than try and move it/untie it when it's been pulled all over a site by the boat above.

There was a comedy moment in Turkey when I got paid to go down and find an anchor that the 1st mate had thrown overboard with nothing tied onto it! Apparently he watched the end of the chain go, and then nothing! Got 50 euros for that. All I did was follow the other anchor line down, look for about 10 seconds, tie on a rope and then come up. They then pulled up the other anchor, and paid my boss 200 euros! Suppose it was a lot cheaper than trying to buy a massive anchor in a tiny resort in turkey.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Imported post

I did the same thing and brought a big shiny dive knife when i started too. However digger now uses it for a prop in ocean diver lectures, as an example of what not to buy (the know-it-all git that he is).

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Jan. 08 2004,15:49)]But for somebody who doesn't eat seafood..?
Start eating it  

It may not be an appropriate tool for 'don't take' divers, but I've used mine to stay in place in fast water on a sandy bottom, just dug in. Did it to watch feather stars during a drift dive.

I've used shears on thick stuff, just use them to nibble at the rope. Using a knife often needs two hands, one to hold the rope else you get no bearing pressure. Shears create their own.

edit: Also use it for gutting fish caught in the more traditional fashion tween dives.

Adrian

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Imported post

I use a short 3" bladed knife with a serrated edge and hook on one side and sharp blade on the other witha screwdriver tip.
 It is far easier to cut line by hooking and pulling on small lines and sawing on big ones than relying on the sharp edge.
Seems to have worked so far.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

My first dive knife which was bought for me as a Xmas pressie years and years ago could double for Excalibur and has never been in the sea (too embarrased).

Subsequent smaller knives have been acquired, taken diving and never needed. I have only ever used a knife on the surface BUT I still take one diving just in case (even though I have only ever used my shears and line cutter "in anger"). Weird isn't it?

Not surprisingly I voted for you to keep it.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Haven't had to use it in the water yet, but its there if I need it. Think I'll buy some shears as I'm not too sure about the Buddy net cutter that came with the stab jacket.

Best use so far - spreading peanut butter (the serrated edge works best).

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

I have used my knife a few times, cutting my self out of fishing line netting etc. I have a dodgy old rusty beever 6" knife which couldent cut fog that I use for general digging about and a quality UK Remora hose mounted knife that never rusts stays sharp and is only used for getting me out of trouble.

I dont like shears. Too slow to use, easy to drop with cold hands, potential of breakage in the handles and pivot rivet.

Thise net cutting knives are prety good and easily stored on the BCD but you must remember to keep replaceing the razor blade or they go blunt after a while.

Any way how you going to fend off the OOA diver who wants you last remaining back gas with traumer shears.:laugh:

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
381 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Can anyone 'recommend' a brand of trauma shears or where do I get them from ?

How much can I expect to pay for a pair ?

Much needed in the way of maintenance for them ?

·
3 boats down from the candy
230 Posts
Imported post

believe it or not Maplins do a brilliant pair of trauma shears for £2.99 made by CK they claim to be able to cut through pennies

cheers paul

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (AdmiralHanson @ Jan. 08 2004,17:38)]Can anyone 'recommend' a brand of trauma shears or where do I get them from ?

How much can I expect to pay for a pair ?

Much needed in the way of maintenance for them ?
Hi,

I get mine from SPServices - Tuf Cut shears

Only £2.50 a pair and last for ages. I don't really maintain them as such. Just a quick rinse with fresh water is enough.

HTH.

Mark.

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

I carry a "sensible" size of knife in the sea and I dare say you will too after your first experience of being caught up in something like a net/rope. Some prefer scissors but to me they are not as versatile. And no, I don't wear it on inland sites or to impress children.

James  

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>hmm
I have also found that the fair sex often apriceate a man with a big weapon if you know what I mean.
Dont belive the misconception that size dont matter its
what you do with it.
deep down every one loves a big toooool

·
Registered
25 Posts
Imported post

keep it.. carry scissors for nets  as they are so cheap you can loose them... a knife is far too useful not to carry.. levering heads off live shells, scooping out cordite.... i even used it for cutting once...the tangled rope off dropped anchor...i traded the anchor for free diving with the boat owner so the knife more thanpaid for itself.....

1 - 20 of 41 Posts