YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Registered
1,751 Posts
Imported post

Completely agree with Dom, a gentle rocking of the ankles is enough to help maintain a horizontal trim... I'm just moving to a wing so I'll report back later but with my BC I found that if I stopped the gentle movement of my feet whilst stationary they would sink and I'd end up vertical.

I think that with a wing once you find the perfect balance then the movement isn't necessary... but time will tell for me.

· Registered
3,877 Posts
Imported post

Tim, I haven't yet had time to read that article (correction, those articles) in full, may do now that I'm temporarily unemployed (but only for a fortnight thankfully
 )

AIUI, the medical guy reckons it's no big deal. However unless he's your diving instructor it'd be advisable to work on achieving this. If nothing else, it looks "cool, calm and collected" and being "together" is a useful skill for a diver so if (for whatever reason) it helps your control, then it is a desirable goal.

As we say in biology "form follows function" so if you look the part it helps to feel the part.

I was taught that the horizontal sty-lee was "desirable" only last year on the BSAC Nitrox course, prior that I'd been a bit of a dSMB "puppet" (who hasn't at some time?).

I don't claim to be able to manage total "horizontality" (oh no! I'm verbizing!!, I'm turning American :eek:  ) in my sleep as yet, but it's the thing I have in mind on every dive.

As I've said before, I think of buoyancy as an art form these days, ie something to practice regularly and frequently, not just to 'get it right', but to the point where you can't 'get it wrong' - TBH I'm still working on it.
Chee-az
Steve

(Edited by Steve W at 12:44 pm on Nov. 12, 2002)

· Snap Happy
2,759 Posts
Imported post

I'll have to give the gentle rocking thing a go at the weekend.  I did try a horizontal ascent in a pool coz it did look 'well cool' but just couldn't do it - given that I don't have bouyancy / trim problems when just finning about I'm guessing its just a psychological / confidence thing - I'll keep practicing until I too look like superman!  

Then I'll get myself a red and yellow Drysuit complete with custom made pants for the outside.  The cape could be a problem tho.....

(Edited by Timing at 12:59 pm on Nov. 12, 2002)

· Premium Member
5,666 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Ben on 4:33 pm on Nov. 13, 2002
Sorry I have`nt probably read the thread fully but why would you want to come up horizontally???
<span =''>
Because you can - its a good skill to practice. Spent a day with an instructor at Vivian and at the end of each dive we ascended horizontally, just using our breathing to control our ascent. No air in BCD and auto-dump fully open on the dry suits. Amazing feeling when you crack it!

· Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Imported post

Auto-dump? Pah! That's cheating - you can do it with a cuff dump but means coordinating breathing for bouyancy control with raising your arm and dumping.....

Wibble! :wierdo:

· Registered
1,751 Posts
Imported post

Sorry I have`nt probably read the thread fully but why would you want to come up horizontally???

There are a couple of reasons, one, according to the DIR guys is that there are physiological reasons as far as decompressing and off gassing is concerned, but for me the main reason is that it's so much easier to hold your position in the water column if you are horizontal rather than vertical.

· Registered
18,471 Posts
Imported post

I shall.....once I get used to this flamin' drysuit!!

Gotta get meself to Horsea of Stoney for another go, but it is a friend's 30th in deepest darkest Wales this weekend sot here goes another week wothout doing anything!  ho hum....

· Registered
1,751 Posts
Imported post

Well I'm hoping that I won't be spending this weekend upside down again, bloody wing and twinset!!...

I think it's gonna take a while before I'm doing the horizontal thang again Lou, although Andy H has promised to help me get the rig trimmed this weekend so fingers crossed...

· Snap Happy
2,759 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Dave Williamson on 1:05 pm on Nov. 14, 2002
I think it's gonna take a while before I'm doing the horizontal thang again Lou, although Andy H has promised to help me get the rig trimmed this weekend
<span =''>

Its a bloody good job we know you're talking about Diving Dave......

You are aren't you?

· Registered
3,877 Posts
Imported post

I wouldn't be too sure with our Dave!

Re rig trimming, I'm sure there's room for improvement on mine too as, in all honesty, I'm still getting to grips with it, I'm pretty sure I'm overweighted as well but until I get a break from  pulling trainees down from rapid ascents, I'll stick with the overweighting just in case ;)
Chee-az
Steve

· Registered
2,828 Posts
Imported post

The drysuit is easier to handle when horizontal because there's very little pressure difference: If you've got feet being squeezed from lack of air and a big bubble around your neck, your buoyancy is shot to ####.
When horizontal, of course, there's virtually no difference in pressure, so you stay nicely under control

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.