YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

The Doux de Coly Pushback

5K views 35 replies 12 participants last post by  Dominic 
#1 ·
Imported post

Most certainly not - I may not be the biggest fan for the third worshiphouse of Irvine, but this I think everyone will admit is bloody impressive (also I'm bored and nothing has been posted here for 10 days....)

The EKPP (European Karst Plain Project) pushed the Doux de Coly on August, 22 to 5675 mtr (18618 ft) distance to air.

The dive started in the morning of August,22 at 7:03 am and lasted 18 hours 21 minutes. The divers Michael Waldbrenner and Reinhard Buchaly surfaced in the morning of August, 23 at 1:24 am. 675 meters of line were added and surveyed from their 5000 mtr endpoint of the last year.

Both divers used a double RB80 rebreather configuraton with 2x 20 liter backmounted bailout cylinders (trimix 16/80). Three drive stages were used with 2x trimix 22/70 and 1x 16/80 and five magnum Gavin scooters per
diver. All rebreathers were fitted with a custom counterlung optimized for the depth of the cave. Lighting was with a 18 Watt HID with a custom made reflector powered by 20 Ah Nicads.

The dive started with a visibility of 15 to 20 meters ( 50-65 ft). Due to heavy rainfalls two days ago the vis reduced after approx. 1000 m (3300 ft) distance to initally 4 meters (13 ft) , then 2 meters ( 6 ft) visibility. Luckily the vis improved again after 2300 meters (7500 ft) to the starting vis.

Again at 4500 mtr (14700 ft) the vis went down, but it improved after further 200 meters. When reaching the endpoint of the last year at 5000 meters (16400 ft) it was expected that the cave would continue the downslope. But it stayed at a level between 65 and 60 meters (213 - 197 ft). The cave got smaller at 5300 meters (17400 ft) where the tunnel ended in a T. Choosing the way to the right, the now smaller and silty tunnel went in eastern direction til the line was tied off at 5675 mtr.

Bottom time was around 8 hours. The decompression took place in the shaft 300 meters from the entrance. Total deco time was about 9 hours 15 minutes. Additional time was spent travelling the shallow part and entering and
exiting the habitat for the last three hours of deco. Water temp is around 12,5° C. Both divers felt well after the dive, and after a good sleep jogging the next morning showed no lung problems.

A more detailed description of the dive and the team effort will be placed on a website in a few weeks.

We want to thank our great DIR support team for their excellent work.

We had a lot of fun within the team and enjoyed the dives.

Reinhard Buchaly and Michael Waldbrenner

Found on a DIR-lovers site http://www.innerrealm.co.nz/ - even has GI's definition of a stroke and his reasoning against the Expiration (YBOD)

See less See more
#28 ·
Imported post

Sorry I have`nt probably read the thread fully but why would you want to come up horizontally???

There are a couple of reasons, one, according to the DIR guys is that there are physiological reasons as far as decompressing and off gassing is concerned, but for me the main reason is that it's so much easier to hold your position in the water column if you are horizontal rather than vertical.

#31 ·
Imported post

I shall.....once I get used to this flamin' drysuit!!

Gotta get meself to Horsea of Stoney for another go, but it is a friend's 30th in deepest darkest Wales this weekend sot here goes another week wothout doing anything!  ho hum....

#32 ·
Imported post

Well I'm hoping that I won't be spending this weekend upside down again, bloody wing and twinset!!...

I think it's gonna take a while before I'm doing the horizontal thang again Lou, although Andy H has promised to help me get the rig trimmed this weekend so fingers crossed...

#33 ·
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Dave Williamson on 1:05 pm on Nov. 14, 2002
I think it's gonna take a while before I'm doing the horizontal thang again Lou, although Andy H has promised to help me get the rig trimmed this weekend
<span =''>

Its a bloody good job we know you're talking about Diving Dave......

You are aren't you?

#34 ·
Imported post

I wouldn't be too sure with our Dave!

Re rig trimming, I'm sure there's room for improvement on mine too as, in all honesty, I'm still getting to grips with it, I'm pretty sure I'm overweighted as well but until I get a break from  pulling trainees down from rapid ascents, I'll stick with the overweighting just in case ;)
Chee-az
Steve

#36 ·
Imported post

The drysuit is easier to handle when horizontal because there's very little pressure difference: If you've got feet being squeezed from lack of air and a big bubble around your neck, your buoyancy is shot to ####.
When horizontal, of course, there's virtually no difference in pressure, so you stay nicely under control

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.