YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Remember Member
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... a slightly hyperbolic heading but what the hell...

So, anyway there I am this morning in the garage queuing to pay for some fuel and also to buy some AA batteries…

Just as I get to the cashier he answers his mobile phone and begins talking to the caller in a rather jolly fashion:

Me: Pump number 4 please… and a packet of AA batteries please

Cashier: Points to cash-point total of the fuel whilst continuing to natter away on mobile.

Me: Yes… but a packet of AA batteries as well please.

Cashier: Points to cash-point total of the fuel again…

Me: Batteries… AA’s please!

Cashier: Tut’s disapprovingly and puts mobile call on hold… That’s twenty pounds diesel.

Me: (Through gritted teeth) Yes, I know… but I also need some AA batteries..

Cashier: Goes back to phone conversation and takes an age looking through each battery size. When he finds them he slams them petulantly at on the desk, registers them and points aggressively at the readout.

Me: “Right! You counter-monkey! That’s it!” I reach across the counter and grab him by the collar of his ill fitting Esso staff shirt and throw him across the counter. “Now, you listen to me… er…”

OK this last bit didn’t actually happen.

I simply stomped out of the shop mumbling under my breath and quietly seething about the state of basic manners all the way into work.

I have become my Dad and I’m not 40 yet…

·
Is fully Mod 1'd up
878 Posts
You should have took his phone off him and stomped on it.... after all who can he tell? I'm sure his bosses wouldnt have been too impressed, hang on its a fuel company they know you will return :frown:

Adam

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
No, no, you are right. He is in a customer facing job and should remember that it is the customers that pay his wages. If you get pissed off at that petrol station you will use another. Eventually the petrol station is not selling enough petrol to pay all the staff.

That's besides it being rude to be talking on the phone when he should be doing his job. Sounds like he needs a reminder from his boss about exactly what he gets paid for.......

·
Flaccid Member
5,410 Posts
Zdu,

Return to said petrol station when the tosspots on the checkout and take a large amount of goods from around the shop (and outside firewood & oil are good) up to the counter?
After he's totalled all the items up to their grand total, pat your pockets and say "Oh dear, I seem to have left my wallet in the house!" "I'll just pop back and get it?" and walk out.
This will leave the monkeyboy waiting....and waiting....waiting.....then he'll have to get off his arse and put all your goods back! :teeth:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Isn't it against the rules / law to use a mobile phone in a petrol station? How would his boss react to the story?

I had trouble with BP stations once (a chip and pin issue whwreby they were not using the system properly), I complained to the head office of BP and got a nice letter back. they said they would change things, maybe they did, I'll never know, but the letter and the catharsis was worth it.

I would have been tempted to walk out and go home after taking a pic of said cashier on the phone and not serving you, let them find you. :teeth:

A

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Well I thought it was just me and my age that found salespeople so incredibly rude these days.:)
It was quite a contrast when I have been to both australia and NZ and the salespeople actually talk to you like you matter -good old fashioned service and values and they look at you when they are talking! Quite often I would walk in a shop or petrol station and they will ask you if you are having a good day and they actually expect an answer! Took me quite aback to begin with and I sort of mumbled some monosyllabic answer, then I remembered this was the sort of service you used to get here in the UK when I was young.

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
Hindsight is a great thing but after mulling this one over, I would have waited until he finished his phone conversation. And not paid until he did.

I went into a newsagent the other day and two old biddies behind the counter (at an age where they should remember having been taught manners) just carried on talking while I waited to pay. One held her hand out for the money. I stood there. They carried on talking and I carried on waiting. She continued to hold her hand out.

After about 45 seconds, which seemed a lot longer, one of the talking biddies looked at me and said "45p" . I paid her and said, "I'm sorry to interupt your conversation, good bye, have a nice day." To which she replied ""rude bitch".

On the other hand, and to balance the arguement, all the staff in my neighbourhood shops are lovely and and have a nice little chat with me when I go in, just like in Corrie!!!!!!

There is simply no excuse for bad manners and rudeness to customers, even when customers are rude to you. I speak from experience of 30 years working with the public and smiling nicely.

Unfortunately, most of us are too polite to say to shop workers: "you are being very rude"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts