YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>OK boys and girls. A tip for you

Next time your in Gozo and fancy a wreck dive do the Gozo ferry off of Xlendi.

Now the Gozoyds had a crack at sinking a ferry off of Xlendi as a diving attraction. They have a 30m dive limit on the island but for some reason the wreck sits at 40m to the bottom??? They also managed to sink it upside down and then provide no facilities to the site and what access there is, is scary steep. That said its a nice dive and a good intro to deco for the curious.

Having reached the bottom of the hill, exit jeep and kiss ground thanking your personal god for you'r survival despite the total lack of breaks on the rental jeep. Then go round to passenger door open it and carefully extract dive buddies fingers from embedded position in dashboard.

Next unload kit and drive back up hill to collect other dive buddies who jumped from fast moving jeep rather than face last two bends and looming cliff edge.

Having assembled teem best advice is to walk kit to waters edge and kit up there as there is a bit of humping to do over rocks and this is not good prep for a 40m deco dive.

Jump in and take a bearing of 220 degrees and fin out about 100 m from shore on this bearing (apx 45 deg out and right from entry point). Then drop down. Wreck will come into view in anything like 20m viz no problem.

Enter the wreck on the left end through the window openings and follow up the middle of the wreck. At this point there is plenty of exit points and natural light and things are looking pretty boring for your proper wreck junky.

Having reached your mid point in the wreck you will see two doors leading to stair wells. Only the very brave would attempt to penetrate further here but it indicates the spot for the best bit.

Just forward and to the right of the left hand stair well is a hatch in the ceiling. Through the hatch is the engine room
and it's totally intact. It was fabulous all the push rods and rocker assemblies were there to be seen and the gauges and levers were also in place. FANTASTIC  

There is also a corridor and some tempting further exploration to do but I racked up 40 mins deco so had to go home.

Take a good torch and a wreck reel

Deco is fun to as you can follow the reef up several layers and the top one is almost bang on 6m. For the heathens amongst you  (and that includes me) you can stab a sea urchin and be surrounded by ornamental wrasse in a feeding frenzy, which is great fun.

Thought I would pass this on as there is no info in the guidebooks and the dive shops weren't to forthcoming either.
So if your'e in Gozo look it up it was my best dive of the week

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Great write up Mark and second your vote for a great dive.

Not sure what was the most fun, the dive or the drive down to the waters edge in the jeep (Your bang on about the brakes,  it was that trip where 4 people all in unison were heard to utter those mortal words "Stop you bastard")

Daz

·
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I dont know for sure about the 30m limit thats just what we were told in the dive centre. I just looked all through Peter Lemons book on Malta and Gozo and couldent find a referance to it.

That said we did loads of sub 30 stuff its hard not to when you can get 80+ m from a shore dive

ATB

Mark Chase

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Thanks for the tip Mark.

I am going there end of June and will add this to my list of dive sites to do.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Do yourself a favour and add Comino Caves to the list as well.

One of my favourite sites.

Daz

·
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Howard

I have done Gozo twice now and if your interested (and dont know them already) I can throw in a few ideas for dives. Chuck me an Email on this site or directly on [email protected] and Ile post you some tips.

ATB

Mark Chase

1 - 7 of 7 Posts