YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Hi,
I've been thinking of giving some ankle weights a go as I sometimes end up with my legs as my highest point making air there hard to dump.

Anyone aware of any potential problems I should consider? I don't really have a problem with finning so I'm not really worried about increased fatigue, etc. I expect I'm only going to have, at most, 0.5kg per ankle.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

They're prone to falling off. Think about getting some heavier fins if you can.

Excercisey shops frequently sell useable weights for far less than dive shops.

You could also look at gaiters, which wrap around your legs and prevent excess air entering.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Hi Paul

I agree with Dom, try and get some heavier fins, Jetfins or copies are great, also try to keep less air in the suit, using the BC for bouyancy control and just take the squeeze off of the suit to make you comfortable, this way you'll find much less air migration and you'll have a better CoG too as the cylinder is being supported by your BC and not by your whole body (if you are the type to use the drysuit as bouyancy)

Leg irons are not usually needed yet many wear them in the belief that they do.. more often than not it's the novice diver that requires them (or feel that they require them) and then never dive without them again...

HTH
Dave

·
Registered
330 Posts
Imported post

Hi Paul I am fairly new to drysuite diving and have tried ankle weights, I found that they did not help at all apart from slipping down and making the problem even worse . the thing that really DID  help me was the sholder straps  inside the drysuite .I find they keep the drysuite in place and the feet in the boots ,if I foget to put  the sholder straps on  I now about it stright away . sug fitting fins will help with the straps over the retainers .
Fiona.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

I have used ankle weights since I got my dry suit and have not had any problem with them at all (once I dumped the cheap crap I bought to start with and got a decent set).

I suspect that as I have a membrane suit this means there is more room for air to migrate as opposed to a closer fitting neoprene suit.

I have my doubts about gaiters as IMO air will still get past - although I have to say Dom appears to be very clued up on kit things so I will defer to his knowledge.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Leg irons are not usually needed yet many wear them in the belief that they do.. more often than not it's the novice diver that requires them (or feel that they require them) and then never dive without them again...
This may be true but take the weight off your ankle and you have to put it on somewhere else. I have good position in water so why upset my balance - it works for me so WTF, I don't find them any problem at all.  

Heavier fins are an option but ankle weights are cheaper to try first. Can you not borrow some from a long time user from your dive club and see how you get on with them?

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Please, please, please will someone explain to me what is the nett difference between ankle weights and heavier fins - apart from "cool" factor?

You are adding weight to the end of your legs in both cases
This affects your trim almost equally in both cases (although heavier fins would have a greater moment about your CoG for equal bouyancy offset).

The weight you add at the ends of your leggies comes off from somewhere else in both cases.

It could be argued that the ankle weights, being closer to the pivot point cause less fatigue per kg than heavier fins (efficiency of fin perfromance aside).

I just don't get the difference in practical terms?
??

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I just don't get the difference in practical terms
Ankle weights are prone to falling off without you noticing.
Fins aren't.

I suppose you could make an argument for KISS - why have fins AND ankle weights when you can just have heavy fins?

But mainly, I'm against ankle weights because:
Most people I know who use them have had to buy replacements when they fell off.
Most people who use them don't need to.

If you need them, use them. But IMHO, they should be a last resort after all else has been tried, whereas I've often seen novices on their first ever drysuit dive wearing the poxy things..

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

P.S. Gaiters - I've never used them, so can't realy comment. But some people report using them sucessfully.

I reckon there's a market to be made selling gaiters with lead pockets in them. Gaiters don't fall off, and adding weights to them will make damn sure your feet stay down

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Imported post

Im hoping to buy a pair this month.  Been semi-struggling with my suit since day 1.  I either have to mount my tank so im trimmed to walk across the bottom or im constantly squat tucking to remove air. Im sick of it so going to try some weights.

A question with these gaiters - granted they *slow* air migration to the boot but my fear is if/when air does eventually migrate to them wont they make corrective action harder or far more ineffective by preventing air moving back into the main part of suit ?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

They don't work by being a tight band that slows air migration - they work by covering your leg from knee to ankle and being tight over the whole area, thus preventing foot ballooning. No change in migration speeds occurs.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Nov. 20 2003,11:47)]Ankle weights are prone to falling off without you noticing.
Fins aren't.
Surely you would notice diving in the six position (as opposed to the 9) ?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Imported post

Before you go to ankle weights, try adjusting your trim. If your feed are heading skywards, move your tank down a bit, so it shifts the point of balance towards your feet more. I dive in a neoprene suit with fins that float & with quite a lot of air in my suit (on a single cylinder anyway).
Some thing I have found without using ankle weights is that its a lot easier to fin & my air consumption dropped as a result.

James.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Surely you would notice diving in the six position
You'd think. But the crux of the matter is - many divers who use ankle weights don't need them. So when they fall off, it doesn't actually cause them any problems. At least, that's my guess.

I just know that the single biggest cause I've ever encountered of people deciding to try diving without ankle weights has been when they've surfaced after a dive and realised that one or both of their weights has fallen off, and yet they had no problems with floaty feet.

Personally, I'm happy to say I'm the opposite - I'm foot-heavy, to the point that I have small trim weights at the very top of my backplate, just to keep me level..

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Erm,

How about trying a thicker pair of socks? Problem I found was that there was a spare bit of space in my suit around the ankles and feet so naturally had anklies for a while. Put a thick pair of socks on one day, forgot about the anklies and enjoyed diving ever since.

Damn cheap solution.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

My thoughts,  If you really need them then use them,  If you don't, then don't

As for ankle weights coming loose, my wife had this problem and there was no way she would stop using them so I modified them slightly with a bit of bungee and she has not had any problems since.

Daz

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

You love that bungee stuff, don't you?

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Nov. 20 2003,13:22)]You love that bungee stuff, don't you?

Look out for my new book 101 uses for Bungee and Bungee for Dummies  

I am a mere Padawan to you master  

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

I have a found at times air does enter the lower half of my suit but I can get round this by just pushing my legs down (vertical) and then the air rises into the suit. Our club taught us to dive at an angle just off horizontal so air stayes in the main body of the suit.

My partner dives with ankle weights which she hates and says don't work. A guy in the LDS said she might try tighter fins. She has a pair of Mares fins in a large and they do have a large hole for you foot. I on the other hand have a medium Scuba pro and as they are a tight fit I have managed to get away without weight by monitoring my dive posture and not letting too much air in the lower legs without correcting it. I guess we might just swap and I'll learn to cope with larger fins. (This should be great as they colour coordinate and I get to swap my on Scuba pros for a shiney new set
 Sorry Josie

Dave C

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Nov. 20 2003,11:47)]If you need them, use them. But IMHO, they should be a last resort after all else has been tried, whereas I've often seen novices on their first ever drysuit dive wearing the poxy things..
OK, speaking as a novice who's just had his first drysuit dives...

On my first dive, I didn't wear them. It was a bloody nightmare.
On my second dive, I wore ankle weights. It made an enormous difference (improvement).

I intend to wear ankle weights for a while, until I lose or forget them one day and realise I don't need them after all - because I think they will make the process of learning to use a drysuit much easier and probably safer.

After all, when I learned to ride a bicycle I used training wheels at first. I see this as just the same.

Tom

1 - 20 of 198 Posts