YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

3,278 Posts
Imported post

Hi

Again, glad you had a good time and are OK (well, apart from the soiled nappy eeeewwww!!). Theres no point in adding insult to injury so I won't. A decent dive buddy would have negated most of the problems. Seems a bit weird to me not knowing your buddy before such a dive and then being buddied with a rebreather diver. When you had posted about the trip earlier I though it was more of a team effort.

Interesting the problems the CCR guy had. One to note for the would be inspiration divers. Was it one or two dives out of four he managed? Did he explain about his decision to call the dive short and why he didn't tell you what his dive plan was?

Kindest Regards

Andy

PS They're still bounce dives you know, as are ALL ocean dives

3,278 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lou @ Aug. 26 2003,13:21)]I think that a few of those who have commented need to step back a moment and think about what they would have done.  Especially thoughtprovoking for me was your situation of removing the last strobe to then see diver's bubbles?  Would the detractors have ignored the bubbles or risked blowing even their plus 5 plan to see if there was a problem?  

It would be interesting to see how others would feel they would have coped with that situation, bearing in mind they are in the fortunate position of being able to consider at length from their keyboard.
<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

I don't think anyone was criticising Mark in particular, I know I wasn't. The last strobe and still seeing bubbles issue comes partly from the fact that Mark was diving solo and that there were solo divers on the dive.

If Mark had a buddy then things may have been different. He wouldn't have had to make the decision alone. If the solo diver had a buddy things may have been different. He may have remembered to add a strobe. If the solo diver had a buddy and then followed the procedure and fixed a strobe it may have been different. The buddy pairs are helping each other.

Not only that but the other diver then left the last strobe that Mark left and then started worrying about it later. He obviously felt that the rules didn't apply to him. This caused unneccessary confusion. None of which was Marks fault, other than he made the decision to leave his buddy, again because his buddy changed the plan, not Mark.

Mark had his plan, and it was changed for him. I really don't know what I would have done in his situation apart from the fact that I wouldn't have dived with a buddy I hadn't dived with before and who was on a different plan to me. I do say that from the comfort of my keyboard having not spent £120 on gas and £x for the trip and holidays off work. I believe thats were the potential incident pit started, not at the last strobe point. I really am not a detractor Lou, and like I said, was not criticising Mark at all. (Although I'm sure you thought I would
)

Kindest Regards

Andy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.