YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is posted on behalf of a member on YD. He was happy to post this in his name but also anon if it meant more was likely to be discussed. I recommended that it go anonymously.
================================
Just want to post this as someone may learn from it – especially me !.

I wanted to test the depth rating of a piece of kit I’d made – so armed with 30m of loose line attached to the kit & a float on the other end , I jump in.
I’m on a Rebreather, passed all its tests, prebreathed, all gassed up, new sorb, battery etc - ready to go – no issues.

This was just to be a quick test – just lower it to depth & see if, where & what depth it failed, then ascend.

I knew it was fine at 18m (from previous tests) so once I got to that depth, I lowered the kit, feeding the line through my hand & was paying attention in this order to:

The RB, the kit, the depth
What I wasn’t paying attention to was the coils of line that were above my head (couldn’t see them anyway) …… You can see where this is going.

Kit got to its target depth – 26m (the bottom), trouble was, I was 2m above it & entangled – behind my head .
The kit then failed & went from – 2kg to -18k, now don’t have enough lift to get up – arghh..
Also don’t have any bailout – if RB plays games on me, my dive is getting very interesting…
I try to untangle for a couple of minutes – waste of time – CUT YOURSELF FREE IMMEDIATELY
I now get more entangled – arghh !!
So there I am @24m, totally stuck, anchored to the bottom – thinking bugger, didn’t plan it this way…

I try to conduct a review of each dive to see where things can be improved for future dives. I identified various errors that could have made my dive better:

[GLOC Note: I am still waiting to here back on how they survived - they must have done as they emailed me ;) ]

Mistake 1
My buddy wasn’t ready to get in so I didn’t wait for him – we both frequently dive solo so this isn’t unusual for us but a buddy could have easily dealt with my initial entanglement.

Mistake 2
Left bailout behind -in the water ! As this was to be a ‘quick’ test !! - again – Dumb – I’d put it in ready to attach – just got distracted with dealing with the kit.

Mistake 3
Only had the 1 knife. - Good thing I could get to it & didn’t drop it…. Having at least 2 sharp knives is now my standard.

Mistake 4
Didn’t immediately cut myself free. – this just led to further issues…….. & for me is my main error…

Mistake 5
Didn’t plan for test not going to plan – to be fair only decided to test kit whilst there so it was a makeshift plan at best.

Mistake 6
All kit can be found – If I had cut the line above me straight away I could have reattached it to the kit easily without putting (or leaving) myself at risk.
============================

Thank you for the post. It is appreciated. My personal view is that #5 is the one where most of the issues could have been mitigated.

Regards

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
seems simple when your sat in the armchair, i have just cut the string from what ever you was testing,
head on up with the Spaghetti all over me ,,

im sure its never that simple in real life tho ,,

iv only ever needed a knife once i 30 years of diving ,, i always have a knife with me on ever dive iv ever done bar that one time i needed it ,, bummer ,, i snapped a strap on said knife just as i was about to enter the water , so i undid the other strap and tossed it to one of the guys to stick in me tub ,, ended up cutting the line i snaged on with a bit of rust id found on the wreck ,,

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
"this was just to be a quick test"

This is often the source of many incidents. The dive is "quick", "easy", "routine" and so we assume nothing can go wrong. We plan in great detail for the "deepest"', "most difficult" or "hard" dives but take the simple ones for granted.

Thanks for posting.

·
Sponsored by The Betty Ford Clinic and Prozac
4,501 Posts
In that sort of scenario I'd want to be reaching for a line cutter and not a knife. I now have two line cutters on my rig as well as a small flat ended knife which is more of a screw driver in practice.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
This reminds me of a dive on the PoW. We were dropped in on the props and I'd decided we'd push to the bow (227m). There was a bit of a gale blowing, but we went anyway. At the bow she lifts away from the bottom and you could swim underneath except that the void is full of fishing line - and the current blew me straight into it! Lucky I had 2 knifes and a buddy!

Thanks for posting whoever you are.

Matt.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Having lines freely in the water is always a potential disaster. Maybe if you have had it in a reel (not necessarily a typical dive reel if the kit was heavy as it seems and if you were using some other type of line) you could have had less trouble and then the mistakes you identified wouldn't be as important because the source of the problem had been dealt with.

·
Registered
26 Posts
"this was just to be a quick test"

This is often the source of many incidents. The dive is "quick", "easy", "routine" and so we assume nothing can go wrong. We plan in great detail for the "deepest"', "most difficult" or "hard" dives but take the simple ones for granted.

Thanks for posting.
Thanks GLOC (and the original author)

95% of the mistakes I've made (and I've made a fair few over the last twenty odd years) started with either "I won't bother to take x, I'm only going in for a few minutes" or "I won't bother testing y, I'm only going ..."

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Most cave divers have a pathological fear loose line in the water. Bloody awful stuff.

Had one chap on the boat gear up quickly to jump in to free a rope round the prop. Have to say most on the boat would have thought I was mother henning him - helping him in to his gear, handing him handsets etc. what I was actually doing was doing all the checks I could (gas on, HUD on, handset on) bailout working) as rushing to jump in alone, shallow for 1 minute is, in my view, one of the more lethal things we can do.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
How strange. Similar to me other day. I got caught up in a slack shotline which snowballed from the smallest of kit issues. Dropped my only knife. Was solo with no-one to assist me. Graph after showed I was only caught up for 2 mins but it felt much much longer... lots of lessons learned that day. I guess sometimes you need a slap in the face to wake you up. Back on the righteous path now.

I'm getting myself a decent sized (but not excessive) knife I can get a sawing action going with and probably a line cutter or something too.

Glad the original person is okay. Not a nice situation to be in and just shows how your thought process gets muddied when stressed.

·
Conscientious Objector
1,269 Posts
One of the classics this.

Couldn't agree more with Clare. The other classic is rushing to get in for the scolly bash on the last dive of the weekend. People going in with 40 or 50 bar in a 12 with a 3L pony, into a 2knot or more current at 15m or so... What could possibly go wrong?

Good outcome and positive learning points here. A bit of a case of the 7 Ps here in he first instance, but more cutters suitable to task and accessible is on the list, along with minimising loose line!

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I'm getting myself a decent sized (but not excessive) knife I can get a sawing action going with and probably a line cutter or something too.
The Ezzy-cut thingie gets my vote for a line cutter - I was sceptical as they look a little 'mickey-mouse' but they work fantastically well for most line.

Knife wise I like the UK Remora, but it is a bit small - the Green river is probably the best bet.

Think about shears too - they are cheap and good for some jobs.

I carry 2 line cutters, some shears and a knife. I'm a paranoid solo diver, what can I say:)

·
Under the water i`m home
422 Posts
Having been caught in monofilament fishing line, i now have a real healthy respect of how nasty it is; and carry three cutting implements, namely one Eezycut, and also a blunt ended small sharp knife on my waist belt, and a pair of surgical shears on my right hand side shoulder harness.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Really glad this person is ok and I think that solo diving is completely acceptable assuming the correct training and experience that said I feel that if testing something for the first time I would without doubt want my buddy with me. it seems a bit of a lack of atientce here could have had a far more serioues consequence.

Hindsight is awonderful thing though and it is easy to see how these things can happen to all of us if we dont carry out a pre dive risk assessment in our minds before we jump in. As as has been said before "Deep" is a reletave term but 1 metere is deep if you cant get to the surface and have no breathable gas left....

ATB
Luke

1 - 14 of 14 Posts