YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought it might be worth posting to see if anyone has had the same problem or has any suggestions...

Since I started diving 18mths ago I've used the same mask. It's always served me well and I've never had a problem... until a couple of weeks ago when I had a dive where the mask was constantly flooding, irritating but not a disaster.

Well, after this happening the next three times and being unable to find a cause I bought a new mask. So far I've used it twice and both times it keeps flooding!!!

I have checked, and had others check for me, that my hood is not under the skirt; that there is no damage to the skirt, I haven't got enough hair for that to be an issue. Both masks seal fine on dry land - the breathe-in-and-see-if-it-sticks-to-your-face test.

I am at a loss and don't want to go down the route of buying another mask until I find the cause!

Please help!

Gav

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
I used to have a buddy who had a similar problem. I discovered what it was one day when i was looking to see exactly why he used to get a slow influx of water.

nasal hair.

He had a long one which broke the seal of his mask just enough to make it leak every time he dived.

I spent the rest of the dive clearing my mask because i was laughing so much.
:D :D :D

·
Driving my truck with my high-heels on...
5,509 Posts
Have you changed regs or mouthpiece ? sometimes this will change the "shape " of your face & especially the lines down each side of your nose hence causing a leak .
HTH

Reactions: Gav

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good point, Colin.... also, try loosening your mask strap. Having it too tight crinkles up your face.
:)
Check your mask strap

....and buy a better razor :)
I don't think the strap is the issue, I certainly haven't altered it, but I will check and see if it makes any difference. It may possibly have loosened, it's certainly not too tight.

Thanks for the ideas, any more?

·
Driving my truck with my high-heels on...
5,509 Posts
Gav I know it sounds silly but have you changed/added a hood or slap strap ? ie changing the circumference of your head which could make it 1 knotch tighter .I am amazed at how loose a mask can "seem" to be but does still seal ! alternatively I myself dived all last summer with out a hood & then wondered why my mask leaked & felt tight for the first 3-4 dives of the winter untill I slackened it of .

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
Another idea but possibly too obvious - you haven't either been in a fight or had an accident that has changed the shape of part of your face - black eye, broken jaw - you know, anything that makes a difference.

Also do check the skirt of the mask carefully to see if there are any nicks or splits, and look where the skirt joins the frame too, is there and small splits.

If it happens only in water and not on land then it is either very slight, or to do with your in water position, extra equipment etc.

Do you have an attached hood, is it being pulled by your harness? Have you changed the routing of a reg hose that is catching on your mask?

Anything changed with any of your equipment at all since the problem started occurring?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I haven't changed anything significant since the problem started and I think I will have to just try tightening the mask and see if it makes any difference. It's certainly not too tight, if anything its too loose.

Reading all this my wife has just reminded me I have lost a stone in weight in the last few months and maybe I've lost some in my face. Can't see how that would affect a mask I've only had a week, but anyway, will have to persevere.

On the good side, guess who doesn't get so stressed diving with a flooded mask anymore:teeth: And no Clare, that's not an invitation to keep pulling it off on the Fundies course! :tongue:

Thanks for all the help peeps!

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
Thanks for the ideas. I haven't changed anything significant since the problem started and I think I will have to just try tightening the mask and see if it makes any difference. It's certainly not too tight, if anything its too loose.

Reading all this my wife has just reminded me I have lost a stone in weight in the last few months and maybe I've lost some in my face. Can't see how that would affect a mask I've only had a week, but anyway, will have to persevere.

On the good side, guess who doesn't get so stressed diving with a flooded mask anymore:teeth: And no Clare, that's not an invitation to keep pulling it off on the Fundies course! :tongue:

Thanks for all the help peeps!

my mask dribbles terribly if I dont shave my tache properly, like you its something i can live with and diving with a partialy flooded mask now presents no issues at all. Every so often I breathe out through the nose and it clears it wonderfully.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
I couldnt find the source of my mask leak, then I noticed one of the lens had pulled out slightly from its seal and it was leaking underwater/under pressure.

Matt

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Like mattbin, my old faithfull mask started to leak, and it turned out to be the plastic 'lense keeper' on the front of the mask had poppoed out on one clip.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It may be solved

Took both masks to the pool this morning whilst doing my daily swim.
Could I get either of them to flood? No way!:confused:

Didn't alter straps or anything.

OK the pool is only 2m at the deep end but I would have thought going deeper would have increased the pressure, thus sealing the mask more effectively, plus, when it has happened in sea it's been from the time I put my head under the water.

It's a mystery to me, but I guess that it must be something to do with my equipment or I was doing something wrong :embarassed:

Thanks to all for the advice.

Gav

P.S. Clare, if you ask ever so politely can I decline ever so politely :wink:

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
Took both masks to the pool this morning whilst doing my daily swim.
Could I get either of them to flood? No way!:confused:

Didn't alter straps or anything.

OK the pool is only 2m at the deep end but I would have thought going deeper would have increased the pressure, thus sealing the mask more effectively, plus, when it has happened in sea it's been from the time I put my head under the water.

It's a mystery to me, but I guess that it must be something to do with my equipment or I was doing something wrong :embarassed:

Thanks to all for the advice.

Gav

P.S. Clare, if you ask ever so politely can I decline ever so politely :wink:

Were you wearing a hood?

I always had leak problems no matter what I did, but since I put my strap on under my hood, it's been good as gold.

Perhaps you could give that a try?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts