YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, firstly the other Maddie thread was closed so I would like to make it quite clear that this post is not directly about her and would request that continuation of that previous debate does not reoccur.

I think that the TV handling of the "latest news" concerning the villa 150 mtrs away and the taking for questioning of ............... erm ............. I've forgotten the names ............ is despicable!

Surely it is completely immoral and unprincipled for TV media to have given out the the amount of information that they have about this suspect. AIUI, a lady journalist thought him/his actions/behaviour suspicious and so reported him to the police. At the last report I saw the 70 y/o mother said her son was having dinner with her on the evening in question.

Whatever happens "mud sticks". I understand the desire to keep the momentum of interest in this case going but I think this is going far too far!!

Also, is it not risky should he end up being prosecuted? How will they ever find an impartial jury? Do they have trial by jury in Portugal? Would the case be tried there?

Reactions: 57358

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
It sounded to me as though he has pissed off a journalist. But that seems to be typical of the press and their power. Don't ever think that it is the elected government that runs this country... it is the press.

The press coverage always affects the impartiality of a jury. Remember the old joke...
"knock Knock"
"who's there?"
"OJ"
"OJ Who?"
"Right, you can be on the jury"

Trouble is, that is the 21st century. :frown:

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
AIUI, a lady journalist thought him/his actions/behaviour suspicious and so reported him to the police.
Call me cynical (well, it goes with my job!) but can't you just imagine the conversation;

JOURNO1 - "What are we going to do for the next bulletin?"
JOURNO2 - "Well, we've been saying exactly the same thing for the past five days now."
JOURNO1 - "Yes, we really need something fresh to say."
JOURNO2 - "What we really need at this stage is a suspect."
JOURNO1 - "Yes, that would do it!"
JOURNO2 - "Hmmmm. I think I've got an idea . . . "

Been on the receiving end of journalistic dishonesty and frankly don't trust the bastards any further than I could throw them. Yes, it is out of order.

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
OK, firstly the other Maddie thread was closed so I would like to make it quite clear that this post is not directly about her and would request that continuation of that previous debate does not reoccur.

I think that the TV handling of the "latest news" concerning the villa 150 mtrs away and the taking for questioning of ............... erm ............. I've forgotten the names ............ is despicable!

Surely it is completely immoral and unprincipled for TV media to have given out the the amount of information that they have about this suspect. AIUI, a lady journalist thought him/his actions/behaviour suspicious and so reported him to the police. At the last report I saw the 70 y/o mother said her son was having dinner with her on the evening in question.

Whatever happens "mud sticks". I understand the desire to keep the momentum of interest in this case going but I think this is going far too far!!

Also, is it not risky should he end up being prosecuted? How will they ever find an impartial jury? Do they have trial by jury in Portugal? Would the case be tried there?
I reckon they'd probably have the Inquisitorial system there wouldn't they? As I understand it, Jury Trials are a fairly Anglo Saxon thing.

I thought exactly the same about this bloke too, first I knew of it was an article in the Online Torygraph over lunch today; it more or less read like he was being accused of walking on cracks in the pavement.....I was fairly surprised that a journo could come up with such a subjective hunch, report it to the Police (fair enough so far) but then be allowed to blab her reasons and the poor blokes' name & background to all and sundry via a direct line to Fleet Street.

What a f___ing circus it's all turning into. I'm justr waiting for the "funny" emails to start. :angry:

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
Yes, it is out of order.
I wouldn't be so sure of that. It's all sounding a bit like that bloke they virtually had hanged drawn and quartered over the serial killings in Essex earlier this year.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A tabloid journalist. Not even close to being the same thing.
:)

From the little bits I saw/heard I don't blame her for making the decision she did - it's just the 'media fest' that has resulted that has really disgusted me.

I do switch on the News specifically to find out if there is any more news BUT the moment I have the important info I turn it off rather than listen to people waffling on.

Anyway, I hope she is still alive and is found soon.

Yours .....
Disgruntled of Tunbridge Wells

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
I couldn't believe the news last night when the journo in question was asked to describe the man and what lead to her suspicions....she mentioned the self assumed liaison role and a couple of other things then mentioned that he had a twitch in his right eye. Up till that I was unsure of his guilt but the twitch confirmed it for me .... I am surprised they have not hung him for it yet.

As to the Inquisitorial system, I think that's Spain....but no-one expects it.

Mal

·
warm-water, single-tank, fish 'n flowers cobblers
223 Posts
I couldn't believe the news last night when the journo in question was asked to describe the man and what lead to her suspicions....she mentioned the self assumed liaison role and a couple of other things then mentioned that he had a twitch in his right eye. Up till that I was unsure of his guilt but the twitch confirmed it for me .... I am surprised they have not hung him for it yet.

As to the Inquisitorial system, I think that's Spain....but no-one expects it.

Mal
The sky journalist went one better and said that his coleagues had found the guy "creepy" because he had a glass eye !

Laurie

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
I've just finished reading The Scum, all 30 seconds of it while the kettle boiled. Apparently this guy Murat had a sordid affair with a married woman, yep he's guilty as sin, hang him.

if he's innocent i hope he sues everyone of those media outlets into the ground, the rubbish and dross they've trawled up about his life is IMO complete invasion of his privacy. I've seen things such as an ex-boss saying he liked playing on bouncy castles, so feckin what! how he had affairs with women, so feckin what! he looks suspicious cos of his glass eye, he had a motorbike crash 7 years ago that nealry killed him.

it all seems like the tail wagging the dog.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts