YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently this was said by some CEO at a recent conference

"When you are at the top of the tree and you look down, all you see are happy, smiling little monkey faces.
But when you're at the bottom and look up, all you see are ar*eholes"

Made me smile anyway

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
...and some days you are the pigeon, others, you are the statue.

or, feel like a mushroom, kept in the dark and fed bullsh*t.

:frown:

·
DIY not DIR
284 Posts
...and some days you are the pigeon, others, you are the statue.

or, feel like a mushroom, kept in the dark and fed bullsh*t.

:frown:
Or a hungry mushroom...... kept in the dark and not fed at all !! :embarassed:

Karl

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Yeah! I like the monkeys in a tree one...

Thought this was good too....

Because That's the Way It's Always Been Done Around Here

Author Unknown
Start with a cage containing five monkeys. Inside the cage, hang a banana on a string and place a set of stairs under it.

Before long, one of the monkeys will go to the stairs and start to climb towards the banana. As soon as he touches the stairs, all of the monkeys are sprayed with cold water. After a while, another monkey makes an attempt with the same result; all the monkeys are sprayed with cold water.

Pretty soon, none of the monkeys will try to climb the stairs.

Now, put away the cold water. Remove one monkey from the cage and replace it with a new one. The new monkey sees the banana and wants to climb the stairs. To his surprise and horror, all of the other monkeys attack & restrain him. After another attempt and attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs, then he will be assaulted.

Next, remove one of the original four monkeys and replace it with a new one. The newcomer goes to the stairs and is restrained by the group. The previous newcomer takes part in the punishment with enthusiasm! Likewise, replace a third original monkey with a new one, then a fourth, then the fifth.

Every time the newest monkey takes to the stairs, he is punished by the group.

Now, all of the monkeys, which are restraining each other, have no idea why they were not permitted to climb the stairs or why they are participating in the restraint of the newest monkey. After replacing all the original monkeys, none of the remaining monkeys have ever been sprayed with cold water.

Nevertheless, no monkey ever again approaches the stairs to try for the banana. Why not? Because as far as they know that's the way it's always been done around here.

So, who's social consciousness are you responding to: yours or someone else's?

·
Shipwrecked & Comatose, drinking fresh mango juice
2,614 Posts
Because That's the Way It's Always Been Done Around Here

Author Unknown
Start with a cage containing five monkeys. Inside the cage, hang a banana on a string and place a set of stairs under it.
ISTR that this was actually a story told to US marine officers in training - to get them to question WHY as well as WHAT the procedures were for.

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
"When you are at the top of the tree and you look down, all you see are happy, smiling little monkey faces.
But when you're at the bottom and look up, all you see are ar*eholes"
Its an oldy, but a goody. I took great pleasure in telling that one to my CEO a couple of years back....at first he laughed.....then it clicked.

·
Sub-optimal DIR wannabe
1,038 Posts
ISTR that this was actually a story told to US marine officers in training - to get them to question WHY as well as WHAT the procedures were for.
Good job they were told. If they'd been asked to read it the message may never have sunk in :angel:

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
from my senior area manager this week

"lets line up the ducks on the wall and aim for positivity week"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts