YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Firstly I feel as if I must congratulate the fabulous ship builders of France and the craftsmen of Great Britain in producing the largest ocean going liner ever built - magnificent. One thing troubles me however:

Was I the only one thinking "Cor, that'd be a stonking wrecK!"  

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>But where would you since to do it justice and enable fabulous vis most of the year coupled with all year round weather protection? I large purpose built pool in the middle of the country of course, indoor with excelent changing facilities and body temp water to enable t-shirt and shorts diving.

Dave C

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Do you reckon it would fit in Stony cove?

Mark Chase

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Porg @ Jan. 14 2004,22:27)]QM2 - three words - SINK YOU BUGGER
Now-now petal! Please don't even jest about that!

Maritime lore prevents me from joining in that sentiment, so I'll just wish her God's Speed! May God bless her, and all who sail in her!

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bren Tierney @ Jan. 15 2004,06:59)]May God bless her, and all who sail in her!
<font color='#000080'>and all who dive in her when she does turn into the best wreck site in the world.

Dya think it is a good idea having divers as coastguards?

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

At something like £20,000 to cross the Atlantic (which to me puts in firmly into the dreaded cruise ship rather than liner category!) diving it would be the only way I would get on board.

However, even jokingly willing it to sink is a bit off.  It has already had a less than lucky start to life with the loss of lfe in the French shipyard.

Lou

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]However, even jokingly willing it to sink is a bit off
That's all it was, a joke. I would never wish for any harm to come to any of the passengers or crew. That'll certainly teach me for posting after a couple of bottles of the red grape. As Bren said - God speed.

ps. It's good to have you back lou, where were you?

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I dug up an old VHS tape on Liners and watched it yesterday. It was fascinating on how competitive Uk, Germany and France were in producing the largest liners in the early 20th Century. For them the liners were a pride of the nation. What I find fascinating that in tonnage of these liners were around 20,000 tonnes, in the 1920's a couple reached 50,000 tonnes. I always thought these ships (such as the Lusitania or Titanic) were massive, well Queen Mary 2 is 150,000 tonnes! I can not imagine the magnitude of this ship.I'm kicking myself for not seeing it dock in Vigo bay just before Christmas. I don't think she will have the class of the earlier liners, it's really a fancy large shag boat in the end of the day.

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Driftwood @ Jan. 15 2004,07:58)]Well, she is one of the Cunard line......

Ice anyone?
<font color='#0000FF'>Sorry for being a party pooper but Titanic was White Star line not Cunard. (Altough later on they were merged)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lou @ Jan. 15 2004,08:02)]However, even jokingly willing it to sink is a bit off.  
<font color='#8D38C9'>I'd agree whilst she's still in service, but what about when she retires?? How about we buy her & scuttle her? If we start saving now we may just make it!!!!

Jen

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

For the ultimate in wreck diving, just leave her in dry dock and fill her with water. Then she could become an inland dive site in her own right...convert the upper decks to changing facilities and a dive shop and off you go

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>How it can be a fkn Queen ship when its built in france I just don't Know. Yes there was a british contingent working on her even moi had some early input. But it is still a french built ship.

My old Grandad would turn in his grave if he could see it.

so the sooner they decide its a white elephant and turn it into pupose built a dive site the better.  

·
Shipwrecked & Comatose, drinking fresh mango juice
2,614 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>if you wanted to dive a sunken liner, get to Germany quick:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
NCL’s Pride of America sinks

Norwegian Cruises Lines’ £200m+ Pride of America has partly sunk while under construction in Germany, with NCL unable to assess the extent of any damage or any potential delay in the delivery schedule until the ship is refloated, some time in the next few days.
NCL, part of the world’s third largest cruise operator Star Cruises, has issued a short statement which says that travel agents will be advised as soon as any further information becomes available.
Its statement explained what happened: ‘Lloyd Werft, the shipyard building Pride of America, has informed us that last night in Germany in stormy weather with high winds, the ship took on water up to deck three. The ship, which is under construction and docked at the shipyard, is resting on the bottom and is now secure.’
More details have emerged from the maritime press. Reports say that the ship is listing fifteen degrees to starboard after water got into the engine room, with the bottom three decks submerged. The ‘high’ winds were reported to have reached 105mph.
(source www.e-tid.com)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts