YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I have heard that a webcam is to be placed on HMS Scylla.

I have searched on Google and not found anything. Does anyone know any more?

Hello to the YDers I met at LIDS.

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rob Evans @ Mar. 29 2004,10:59)]Here y'go, quality isn't that mega unfortunately.  Found it when I Googled scylla+webcam

Thar she blows!
What web cam? I am talking about a live webcam on the Scylla where I can watch fishes and divers swimming past?

Is there something I missed on the BBC page (which I had looked at before).

I am hoping to find it and give it a wave when I am there in April and have a little sign saying "hello Mum".

·
Registered
488 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>This confirms my suspicions.  I was convinced some muppet(s) would be down on the wreck knocking chunks off her with a lump hammer and nicking the web cams as soon as it got dark.

BTW nice to meet you yesterday, you're nothing like your avatar at all.

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

I checked with my BM and fellow diver (Andy) who lives in Plymouth (dives with Looe Divers and was out on their boat watching the event on Sat).

Apparently the webcam is not in place yet. There s/b 3 permanent buoys - two will be shot lines and the third is for the webam(s?).

That will be great if it is true. Any of us will be able to dive the wreck and prearrange with anyone else to watch us being all brave and hard, er, rough and tough under water.

I am sure some wet suit diver will probably manage the first "moon" on live underwater webcam.  
 So long as I don't have to witness the "Warhammer Manouvre again

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Imported post

Hi Bryan
I'm hoping to get a dive on her (oooh err!) over Easter - it'll be with Looe Divers as mother-in-law has a hotel in Looe.  Should have settled by then (I see diving's been delayed due to air pockets), although am sure it's going to be a very busy site!  And no, it won't be me doing the moon - there's no way you'd get me back in a wetsuit  

Regards, and dive safe
Martin

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Imported post

According to the official site the webcams are being installed on 17/4/04.

http://www.artificial-reef.co.uk/

IT also asks divers please not to cut/steal/play with blue cables inside the wreck as these are the cables powering and for controlling the remote cameras.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
If you get a chance to dive the Scylla, please leave the blue cables alone that run around the ship. These are the control cables for the onboard cameras, due to be installed on the 17/04/04. You may also come across some green/yellow thin tubing, this is the remains of the explosive shock cord. If you can, please gather this up, ensuring you don't get tangled, and remove it from the wreck.

I'm told that you have to look in the safe, haven't done so myself, but those that have, just smile, and tell you that you just have to look!
Also states shes on the bottom with approx a 15 degree list to starboard.

It doesnt say whether the wreck is closed for diving on the 17th or not while they do the work - i hope not as im supposed to be there 16th/17th (also diving from looe as it happens).

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

It does say that you should remove the green/yellow cables from the explosives though - Let's hope there are no colour blind divers around!!

Paul

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

I had dinner with the suppliers of the IT equipment last night (small world!) and I believe there is a hold up at the server end of things (HP or whoever sent wrong motherboard or something, usual IT-mare).  Kit's ordered and most there so shouldn't be long now...

Rumour control has it that not all was as it should have been with the charges, but I remain to be convinced on that...  More rumours as I get them!

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (String @ Mar. 31 2004,04:52)]According to the official site the webcams are being installed on 17/4/04.

I'm told that you have to look in the safe, haven't done so myself, but those that have, just smile, and tell you that you just have to look!

It doesnt say whether the wreck is closed for diving on the 17th or not while they do the work - i hope not as im supposed to be there 16th/17th (also diving from looe as it happens).
Me too - diving that weekend.

Modesty does not preclude me from saying they will probably ask me to be the subject of the first picture on the webcam looking cool in my Darth Vader FFM  

See you on the JEL if we are not allowed on her.  

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

I rang Mr John Busby (ARC) and he has confirmed that diving is still allowed during the installation of the webcams (whenever it is).

The webcam cables are about 3/4 inch as opposed to the explosive wires which are abt 3mm so even colour blind divers should not get them confused.

Requests are - not to enter the boiler room (wish I'd asked why) + not to remove anything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts