YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi all

I  known that there's been a fair bit in the diving press about her  planned sinking near the JEL, but does anyone know exactly when she is to be put on the seabed?

Just thinking about places to go on the bank holiday at the end of May and would love have mosey round her if she's in position by then.

ta

Andy

·
Shipwrecked & Comatose, drinking fresh mango juice
2,614 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Andy

on the Looe Divers webpage - they are running a comp to watch the sinking - it says April 04.

Looe divers competition

Andy

·
Team Starburst
5,275 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>Goody

I have hardboat booked for 3/4 July

We still have a couple of spaces on the boat, so if you are interested please email me and I will send more info

Ian

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Many thanks Andy!

So it looks to be early April, however, I did note the following caveat at the bottom of the webpage:

'Our Daddy' has been booked by Looe Divers for the Scylla sinking, due in April 2004. If however the sinking date is moved forward to March, then an alternative vessel will be provided, due to preparation work on 'Our Daddy' for the 2004 season being undertaken. The date of the Scylla sinking is not under the control of Looe Divers and as such Looe Divers will not be held liable for any inconvenience caused, with associated costs, due to the unconfirmed date of the sinking."

So I guess we'll just have to keep our eyes peeled!

ta all

Andy

·
Founder Member of the 'Viet Taff'
1,523 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>I rang the National Marine Aquarium in Plymouth who are coordinating the whole thing, spoke to them at length and Claire was very helpful.
The plan is to sink her end of March/beginning of April depending on the weather, she is to be sunk in about 24 metres (shallowest point) on a gently sloping bottom about 300/400 yards from the JEL. They are adding extra entry/exit points (18 I think she said)and the ship can be penetrated although the boiler room will be sealed off. They said there were 4 decks that could be entered, which meant going into cabins, engine room, bridge etc. She should be diveable within a week of sinking  but more likely just a couple of days.
The NMA are producing Dive guides of the ship for penetration which will be on sale soon. I managed to download blueprints of a Leander class Frigate of a NZ website (cant rememberexactly which one) but am also ordering the diveguide.

I have Venture booked out of Plymouth on the first May Bank Holiday weekend (Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon) and we are planning to extensively survey and penetrate the Scylla. I can offer two places on the Sat, Sun and Monday (Friday is our risk assessment day) to any YDers who fancy it, £35 per day but first come first served and e-mail direct if you are interested.

Hope this helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts