YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Just got off the phone to my friend who lives in Plymouth. He has been to see The Scylla in dry dock and it is "abolutely 'kin enormous" + they have left loads of stuff on it.

Everything is on schedule so only the weather can prevent the sinking on Sat 27th.

He is going out on the club rib to watch from a bit closer (LB) and will be diving it on the Sunday (FLB).

AND ... I hope to be diving it on 17th/18th/19th April.

·
For the dives where one helicopter isn't enough
1,682 Posts
Imported post

Hopefully a few of us are going to be heading down early April to have a dive on it, we're going down mid-week in the hope it'll be a bit quieter.

Sorta on subject, can anyone recommend any decent B&B's in Plymouth that are diver friendly?  

Simon

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sch @ Mar. 24 2004,15:11)]Sorta on subject, can anyone recommend any decent B&B's in Plymouth that are diver friendly?  
Simon,

I'll get the details of where we are staying (my club used the place last year on a trip) which is good + next door to a pub.

I think it is just outside Plymouth so is a bit quieter.

G

·
Imported post

We're going down at the weekend to see the sinking, by the sound of it there is going to be quite a few people watching. If my digi camera can get any decent shots, I'll post them next week.

On the accomodation side, we normally camp sorry, but we have stopped at a couple on occasions 01752 661712 Citadel House, 01752 670452 Poppys1 and 01752 01752 661557 Poppys2 are all diver friendly.

HTH

wwd

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I'd let you know that 1km exclusion zone has been set up to stop the pleasure craft from enjoying the spectacle. ( think best place for photos and video , will be from the cliff ).

The ship will be scuttled in position 50 19.58'N , 04 15.19'W

Holes have been bored along the hull approx 18" above the water line and after it has been towed into position explosive charges will be set off sinking the vessel in 4 minutes, so i was told.

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

They should mount cameras all over the ship (including inside) so that the sinking is recorded properly.

I'd bet that would get the heart racing being inside it all kitted up when it sank? I wonder why no one is doing that?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Haven't seen any mention of what depth it's being sunk in..?

·
For the dives where one helicopter isn't enough
1,682 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finless @ Mar. 24 2004,16:05)]They should mount cameras all over the ship (including inside) so that the sinking is recorded properly.
As far as I know they are doing that - I seem to remember that one of the jobs the divers who check out the wreck will be doing is to clear out the cameras used to record the sinking - in fact I checked and see here for the schedule according to the National Aquarium.

And thanks for the accommodation info all.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi Sch,

I can recommend Cassandra's Guest House, 100 yds from the Walrus Pub. Very nice couple that run it. I stay there for a weekend every month. There number is 01752 220715.

All the best,

Ian

·
Registered
263 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finless @ Mar. 24 2004,16:05)]I'd bet that would get the heart racing being inside it all kitted up when it sank? I wonder why no one is doing that?
yep me and my buddy were talking about that, would be great fun although rather dangerous  

Is it still scheduled for Saturday afternoon ?

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

It's been done ,I believe...

The Russian missile frigate (destroyer 356) which was sunk off Cayman Brac as a diving attraction was accompanied by a Cousteau (not His Red Hatted Emminence though  
)

http://www.jharp.net/brac_ktib.htm

It is a great dive - although the large barracuda which hang around may have soemthing to do with it.

Prior to this one, I was sceptical about deliberately sunk wrecks, but this one changed my mind.

Bring on the Scylla  

Simon

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (torbaydiver @ Mar. 25 2004,00:40)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finless @ Mar. 24 2004,16:05)]I'd bet that would get the heart racing being inside it all kitted up when it sank? I wonder why no one is doing that?
yep me and my buddy were talking about that, would be great fun although rather dangerous  

Is it still scheduled for Saturday afternoon ?
Remind me not to book onto a hard boat with you guys
   "Bryan what's that ticking sound coming from that parcel you've just fixed below the waterline of our boat...."

I was at a David Bellamy conservation lecture last night, apparently the man himself is going to press the plunger to sink the ship, some of his german pals joked that they'd like to do it instead of him, as we'd sunk so many of their boats in the past

don't know if this link's been posted before
HMS Scylla and The National Marine Aquarium

·
Registered
263 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Crisspy Fiver @ Mar. 25 2004,09:10)]Would you be able to clear your ears quick enough?

Jamie
yep that would be my main concern, it's not as if you could assent a meter and try again! Ruptured ear drums me thinks!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Imported post

I know the plan is to sink the frigate in the afternoon but is there a planned time, or is it just a matter of arriving mid-day and waiting?
Is anybody planning on using a mini DV camcorder and posting it on the Internet ? it would be great to record this !  

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (torbaydiver @ Mar. 25 2004,13:28)]I know the plan is to sink the frigate in the afternoon but is there a planned time, or is it just a matter of arriving mid-day and waiting?
Is anybody planning on using a mini DV camcorder and posting it on the Internet ? it would be great to record this !  
According to my man in Plymouth 14:00 hrs.

They are takind a vid from their RIB BUT I'm not sure if it is an "official" one or, to put it another way, how close they will be able to get.

If anything becomes available I will let everyone know.

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (torbaydiver @ Mar. 25 2004,13:23)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Crisspy Fiver @ Mar. 25 2004,09:10)]Would you be able to clear your ears quick enough?

Jamie
yep that would be my main concern, it's not as if you could assent a meter and try again! Ruptured ear drums me thinks!
Of course you would. Start with a bit of pre pressuring and you could always ascend to the ceiling of the room you are in.  

1 - 20 of 45 Posts