YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Dived the Scylla Sat and Mon and it is a fun dive.

Just a warning - all the holes (that I went near) that are cut/blasted in the side of the hull have very sharp edges. One of our party holed his dry suit + we had a number of cut gloves (there was a big surge running on our second dive).

I am NOT saying it is dangerous - just be carefull when entering or holding on - especially if not wearing gloves in the summer. It is a wreck - just because it is man made don't treat it diff from any other wreck which includes being aware of sharp and pointy things.

[EDIT]Mdemon - John, it was a pleasure to meet you - you got the best days diving of the weekend. Rgds. Bryan.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Imported post

Im looking at a slice taken out of the finger of one of my gloves oddly enough caused by holding onto a cut hole on that to shine a torch inside so i agree with that warning !

Incidentally when were you there Saturday?  We dived it just before 9am and at about 9.40 maybe 9 other boats turned up.  Likewise for JEL after that.

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

Hi Bryan - sorry the weather didn't hold for you  

Likewise, it was a pleasure meeting you and your clubmates.  And thanks for filling in the DDRC forms too - not easy to keep remembering to do them.  Still, we got at least one day's worth.  Can you forward them to Rachel at DDRC in Plymouth, or would you rather send them via me?  PM me and let me know...

I think the point you make about the Scylla is an interesting one - as a training vessel she is going to be hard to beat, and the lesson on sharp bits will be better learnt there than on a more decayed wreck...

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

Watch out for the white sealant type stuff too.

I got it on my wing - came off with white spirit and Lou got it on her stab and drysuit (to add to the oil from James Barrie!!). Pete Fergus, skipper of Venture reckoned it was used to seal up the cuts in the hull during towing, so in addition to sharp edges watch out for this.

Mark (Davies) said he saw this stuff all over the shallower parts of the bridge - its purpose here may be puzzled over for a while yet!! This would figure as we spent the last bit of our first dive around this area - so oppurtunity to get covered in the gunk!

Paul

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Paul Beal @ April 21 2004,08:42)]Watch out for the white sealant type stuff too.

I got it on my wing - came off with white spirit and Lou got it on her stab and drysuit (to add to the oil from James Barrie!!). Pete Fergus, skipper of Venture reckoned it was used to seal up the cuts in the hull during towing, so in addition to sharp edges watch out for this.

Mark (Davies) said he saw this stuff all over the shallower parts of the bridge - its purpose here may be puzzled over for a while yet!! This would figure as we spent the last bit of our first dive around this area - so oppurtunity to get covered in the gunk!

Paul
Paul,

Our "main man" reckoned the white stuff was a reaction between the sea water/non ferrous/ferrous metals ?? I have no idea what it was myself. [EDIT]Having read a post on the BSAC forum I think I/he may be talking about different white stuff?

If I got any on me it all got sliced off getting out of the wreck.

Just as an aside, another member of our group had a spike through the arm of his suit on the JEL - bad viz/lot of surge. He then knocked his HID torch over the side of the dive boat the next day. On the same dive on the JEL another guy has his reg knocked out by a "surging" buddy, then, on the return surge, he knocked his mask off and his arm off the wreck with which he was using to hold on. Luckily for him, I came across the mask later in the dive and returned it to him.

I have to say that apart from the first day (Sat) when it eas a bit lumpy and getting worse we had shit weather on Sun and really crap vis and strong surge on Mon  

Looks like I'll have to go back again  

One last comment - what a poxy drive it is to get to Plymouth from Hastings. Took 6 hours going Friday. Only 4.5 hrs coming back though.

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mdemon @ April 20 2004,23:38)]Can you forward them to Rachel at DDRC in Plymouth, or would you rather send them via me?
Will send them direct.

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (String @ April 20 2004,17:44)]Incidentally when were you there Saturday?  We dived it just before 9am and at about 9.40 maybe 9 other boats turned up.  Likewise for JEL after that.
Yes, we were there Sat. We did the Perceus/Percia(?) in the morning and the Scylla as the second dive.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Imported post

Was possibly in the same bit of sea as you then, we did Scylla first and JEL at about 12 on the Saturday.  Sundays weather wasnt great but did 2 dives off Fowey with 1.5m vis and surge.  My first time diving outside Wales in the UK and was amazed at the dive boat queue around the 2 wrecks.

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

But Paul (think back a couple of months) is it a wreck or is it pollution

·
"That's NOT my avatar! It's film of me AFTER I was
528 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#008080'>Not only is the outer hull got sharp bits where there are holes cut, but there's some nastly looking aluminium plating just inside the hull that looks like it could slice a hose if you're not carefull!

The only thing I don't like about the Scylla are the large yellow signs telling you to check your air, dont enter here etc I guess their lawyers made them do that though

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But Paul (think back a couple of months) is it a wreck or is it pollution
I probably over-reacted a little bit on that one, I thought the guy was being a complete tosspot. I hear that list has voted (quite close) to have chat etc round it - I have unsubscribed!
Paul

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

With regards to white stuff. There is some corrosion on the original handrails - this crumbles if you brush it. The stuff I got on my wing was definitely sealent or something.

Paul

·
For the dives where one helicopter isn't enough
1,682 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jlwarlow @ April 21 2004,13:28)]The only thing I don't like about the Scylla are the large yellow signs telling you to check your air, dont enter here etc I guess their lawyers made them do that though
Personally, I think it's a good idea - I suspect that a lot of people are going to do this dive reasonably early in their diving, and a few reminders to be sensible aren't going to hurt

[ editied because the previous version made just about no sense  
]

·
Registered
263 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finless @ April 21 2004,10:59)]On the same dive on the JEL another guy has his reg knocked out by a "surging" buddy, then, on the return surge, he knocked his mask off and his arm off the wreck with which he was using to hold on. Luckily for him, I came across the mask later in the dive and returned it to him.
A good reason for wearing your mask under your hood !
I remember diving in Egypt, it was like Laurel and Hardy everyone was bumping into everyone else, divers above you below, to the right and to the left ! Talk about diver soap  

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

Paul, I still have the e-mails if you haven't seen them. Team bunny stood it's corner though like a staunch trooper and told 'em Bollocks

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Imported post

I phoned the ARC today and the nice man explained that the "sharp bits" are a "bone of contention" between the contractorsand the organizers.

An early lesson for all unlucky/silly enough (this includes me) who get caught out. Wrecks have sharp and pointy bits - stat alert (your Country needs lerts) and have a box of Band Aids ready.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

Noel,

I would be interested to read your reply after he started slagging your signature off!

For the benefit of everyone else, Noel and I are referring to a "discussion" on the Portkerris email group about Scylla about 3 months ago. I got hot under the collar and unsubscribed!

Paul

·
"That's NOT my avatar! It's film of me AFTER I was
528 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sch @ April 21 2004,14:09)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (jlwarlow @ April 21 2004,13:28)]The only thing I don't like about the Scylla are the large yellow signs telling you to check your air, dont enter here etc I guess their lawyers made them do that though
Personally, I think it's a good idea - I suspect that a lot of people are going to do this dive reasonably early in their diving, and a few reminders to be sensible aren't going to hurt

[ editied because the previous version made just about no sense  
]
<font color='#008080'>True. I guess being dropped in 20m it is aimed at the beginner. It'll be interesting in a year or two to see how the Hull and these signs hold up to marine life; it'll be nice to see fish living inside the Hull, when I dived it at easter it was a little sanitised with nothing but us divers crawling all over it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts