YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Went diving today and found it just a bit too cold to enjoy, I have been diving most weekends throughout the winter and found the temperature okay so far at about 10 c, today it was about 9c and I was amazed at the difference  one degree makes, my hands for the first time were cold and went quite numb even in 8 ml gloves, and my head was quite chilled!
My drysuit seem to let some water in as well as my under suit was damp.
I was thinking of buying a swimming hat to wear underneath my wetsuit hood to stop the head shrink.
Well I guess living in the southwest coast of England I'm probably diving in the warmest water in the UK at present, and was wondering what temperatures you guys are diving in and if you have any tips on keeping warm!
(I expect stony cove is probably only about 6c being fresh water,brrrrr ......... rather you than me)
Steve

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

A Vindaloo curry, pure 02 for suit inflation and one of those friction cooker lighters stuffed inside your dry suit.

First analey inject methain

Then Manualy inject 02

Then press cooker lighter knob through dry suit

The resulting warmth is instantainious but I recomend tethering your self to the wreck as boyancy control can be a bit of an issue.

Boys: Do NOT wear pee valves as this method tends to weld the cathiters to the end of your knob

Girls: Dont bother shaving your legs as this method has the added benifit of removing all bodily hair.

I very much doubt if its DIR, so there is another added benifit.

ATB

Mark Chase

PS: This dosent work in semi drys so just piss in them like every one else.

·
Team Starburst
5,275 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>6c
I dream of such warmth....down at the Stanegarth we recorded 4c this morning.
The hydrobox was a scorching 7c

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ Mar. 06 2004,21:20)]A Vindaloo curry, pure 02 for suit inflation and one of those friction cooker lighters stuffed inside your dry suit.

First analey inject methain

Then Manualy inject 02

Then press cooker lighter knob through dry suit

The resulting warmth is instantainious but I recomend tethering your self to the wreck as boyancy control can be a bit of an issue.

Boys: Do NOT wear pee valves as this method tends to weld the cathiters to the end of your knob

Girls: Dont bother shaving your legs as this method has the added benifit of removing all bodily hair.

I very much doubt if its DIR, so there is another added benifit.

ATB

Mark Chase

PS: This dosent work in semi drys so just piss in them like every one else.
lol thks for the tip !

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (IDH @ Mar. 06 2004,21:23)]6c
4c shit !!!!!!  

i guess i should count myself lucky at 9c  

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (torbaydiver @ Mar. 06 2004,21:28)]4c shit !!!!!!  

I dunno. Sounds painful to me. Mine's around 37 C.

Laters,
   Janos

·
Registered
330 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>
Hi I have problems keeping warm as well  mainly hands and feet ,so trying all diffrent tricks . the swimming cap is a big + under your hood as we loose a lot of heat from our heads. the cap traps a layer of air between your head and the water in hood .also a pair of dry gloves work well with a very thin inner glove underneath . the gell reheatabel heat packs go well stuffed down dry suite .
Fiona.

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (torbaydiver @ Mar. 06 2004,21:28)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (IDH @ Mar. 06 2004,21:23)]6c
4c shit !!!!!!  

You bunch of girls!

I done two dives in Capernwray today and it was 2c.

No this is not a joke, there are others from YD there on Sunday who will confirm it.

1st layer: Thermal underwear
2nd layer: Xenotherm full outfit
3rd layer: Weasel Xtream
Dry gloves

So good; tomorrow I'm in Vivian, another 2c job.

4c, that's like summer!

James  

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Zerotherm hotsocks (or something like that!)  very, very warm - have used them down to 4c.

Zerotherm baselayer (or Arctic if you really feel the cold!) and a good undersuit on top (assuming membrane drysuit!).  

Hands...  Well I have tried 5mm Neoprene last week at Babbacombe, 40 minutes, 6c.  Hands bloody frozen!

Today 1 hour, 6c/7c my hands were warm.  Honest to god, warm.  Not cold  or even ok(ish) but actually warm!.  Tried out my new 3 finger Poseidon Mitts.  Buy a pair now, you will not regret it.  My mate was also trying out a pair and he said exactly the same thing.

Daz

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (narkedat50 @ Mar. 06 2004,22:09)]You bunch of girls!

No this is not a joke, there are others from YD there on Sunday who will confirm it.

Dry gloves

4c, that's like summer!

James  
You big Jessie.

2c and all that clothing!  

Would have been vest and pant's for me!  

Daz

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Just dive a 45min dive at 12ºc with a oceanic two piece 5mm+5mm. I was Ok but then the warm sun afterwards was great. Wouldn't want to do a second dive though.
Pigs will fly because finally I've decided to get a drysuit, looking at a Beauchat three laminated one for €850 inc. underclothes. Can't get the makes you have in the UK, it's either this one or a Scubapro Spizbergern.

The thing with the cold is that today you may have felt fresh but maybe tommorrow with the same conditions you wouldn't.

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ Mar. 06 2004,23:22)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (narkedat50 @ Mar. 06 2004,22:09)]You bunch of girls!

Dry gloves

4c, that's like summer!

James  
You big Jessie.

2c and all that clothing!  

Would have been vest and pant's for me!  

Daz
Good one Daz

I have to admit it, I was dressed for the cold, my buddy wore the string vest, his bitch wore tattoos and a cheeky grin!

James  

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Well, I've been nice and toasty ever since I got my Poseidon 3 finger jobs. There's nothing like them, and much better dexterity than dry gloves. And you can't puncture them on wrecks.

The weezle has been good. I was getting cold previously in thermals and a 7mm neo suit, but now I'm on the compressed neo and weezle I'm back to toasty again. I don't like face seals on hoods but they are a bit warmer, so if you can, reduce the water flushing around your head. Saves you heating it up again and again. Same of gloves, try and keep them reasonably sealed if poss, so you don't get flushing ruining your party.

Stoney will be a comfortable 4 deg tomorrow, mmmm... Just right for an hour in the water I reckon.

No mask swims in 5 deg in Coniston wasn't funny, but entirely barable.

And keep yourself as warm as pssible before and after you go diving. Your core temperature can drop easily, and that makes you much colder for the second dive, or even the next day! A thermos flask is a cheap and easy way of warming up. Warm water in gloves = warm hands before you get started. And you can make coffee with what you don't use for the gloves and hood.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>4 dgrees c in a semi-dry in wraysbury on wednesday, two dives, one 35 minutes and one twenty minutes. Certainly not toasty but bearable. Between dives was the problem but took lots of clothes and wore them over the top which worked OK.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Get some tight-fitting vinyl gloves from the Chemist. Even if you do get wet inside them you'll still be warmer than without them, since the water stays in place and gets warm quicker than with a loose fitting glove.

These days water is around 2-4C here in Northern Norway. Since I started wearing surgical gloves I haven't been cold at all.

Kyrre

·
Registered
609 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Chris Guimaraens @ Mar. 07 2004,00:30)]Can't get the makes you have in the UK, it's either this one or a Scubapro Spizbergern.
<font color='#0000FF'>My wife's got a Spitzbergen and we've had lots of trouble with leakage through the fabric/neoprene itself. New holes pop up once others have been fixed. Crushed Neoprene is a gambling way to go...

Kyrre

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

When at the NDC the other week, where we had to defrost our drysuits before we could put them on, I stayed warm by using:

Weezle Extreme - plus booties (very important!)
Xerotherm base layer
Poseidon 3-finger mitts
Chillcheater hood (better than a swim cap) under 5mm neoprene hood

Was fine for the 4/5C water..

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>6.9 'c   20 miles offshore from Dover at 11:00......... sea is like a mirror........

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

Babbacombe yesterday was very cold.  6.2 to 7 degrees.  Hands cold after 30mins. Spent a lot of time with WreckTrekkie taking photos, so little finning and after 60 mins we were both gibbering...

Funny how everyone gets out and says "I'm glad it wasn't just me!".

Daz, how did your heated suit thing work?  Seems like a good project for this time of year...

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

One degree in the surface water, two to three at depth. It has been like that for two months and it'll be another two months before the surface water reaches 6-7 degrees. Three-finger mitts are the answer to cold hands if, like me, you don't like drygloves.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts