YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
come on then! after a spot of prompting from brenster of gunchester i believe we have a few budding box wallah's on here! so come on who uses what and where and why and what do ya /dont ya like about it?

regards
nitrox

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Que??  Do you mean the Yellow Box of Death/Desire ?(delete as feels most appropriate), if so then this is a good candidate for the inagural post on the new RB forum
Steve

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Well-in Trox - nice start,

To the best of my knowledge, there is Nitrox, Ammers, Chris's Fish and Boots (Simon won't be long, and you know it!), and Andy Hayhurst is just completing his 'Box' Instructors ticket on the Draeger unit and the Inspiration.

Correct me on any of these:

Trox is Draeger
Ammers is Inspiration
Boots and Fish are Inspiration
Dales is Draeger and Inspiration

Any one I've missed or misrepresented?? How's about both Nitrox and Ammers kick things off by giving the forum their reasons for why then went for 'diving in silence'??

Then perhaps you could add on the relative pro's and cons fo the various units?? Remember, we have everyone here from Newbies to the 'Uber-techie', so gently does it! ;)

Thanks in advance guys.

·
ex diving instructor
524 Posts
Imported post

You forgot the Azimuth for me as well sir, and I am not teaching the yobd (yet) Fish is doing that side of things for me....

·
Registered
171 Posts
Imported post

I'm an Inspiration user of two years, and enjoying every quiet, warm minute of it. The unit has revitalised my diving.
Alan

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Alan,

Don't just leave it there mate!!! Let us all know where you dive, what differences the 'unit' has made to your diving and why you now 'prefer' CCR to OC diving??

Do you do wreck penetration on it?? What depths have you been to? What kind of depths do you maintain??  Why?? What, if any, concerns do you have with diving the unit?? Treat us like numpties mate, assume we know nowt - tell us all!!

You audience awaits sir...with bated breath!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Imported post

I trained with Richard Stephenson after doing my trimix course and then discovering my desk bound frame couldn't carry sufficient OC gas to do useful bottom times given my high rmv.
I tried the Inspiration over a week-end to see if it was all it had been cracked up to be. It was so I ordered one straight off.
I now don't have to worry about having enough gas for a week-ends sport diving or a good trimix dive.(I carry bailouts as appropriate).
I use 10/50 helair all the time the unit mixes the O2 to the right PPO2 upto high O2s at the 6m stop.
Advantages to me: lighter than the equivalent trimix set up. Produces warm breathing gas (since having it I have not needed my pee valve). Very low END I prefer 25m +/-. It's quiet, it produces no bubbles on the bottom so fish do come closer than OC. Gas costs (see above) are very low compared to OC. Hows that ?

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

How's that??

Damned fine sir!! Now, let's have a dive report (wreck or sea/scenic) that entails you getting to site and building your kit up. Then decribe the dive in detail for us??

Cheers Alan and welcom aboard mate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts