YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught this programme by complete accident earlier today. Well worth listening to. Follow the link for "Listen again". Available for the next seven days http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00swj3b

On the 17th of June 1940 thousands of British troops and airmen died as their troopship, the Lancastria, was sunk by German bombers. Allan Little travels to the French port of St Nazaire on the 70th anniversary of Britain's worst maritime disaster, to tell the story.

We hear from survivors of the ship who miraculously survived the sinking and the chaos of the sea alight with spilled oil. In particular we follow the story of Ft Lt Albert Hill, the last man off the ship, whose unpublished diary has come to light.

We also find out why, so many years after the story was suppressed by Churchill in the darkest days of the war, there is still a reluctance in England to acknowledge and commemorate the tragedy.

·
Gone South For Now
360 Posts
There is a good book by Jonathan Fenby ... The sinking of the Lancastria (Britain's Greatest Maritime Disaster and Churchill's Cover-up) ISBN 0-7432-5930-0
The once proud Cunarder now lies seventy two feet on the seabed , and is marked by an orange buoy with its name on.

·
The worlds slowest sailor.
2,970 Posts
looked to go there a while back but its protected by the french i think.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for that useful link to the BBC programme. My friend who was part of the expeditionary force was a survivor and talked to me about the sinking. Its always amazed me that there is so littlre recognition of this event in the UK.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts