YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
My Nark is much worse that my Bite!
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

A couple of days back we went for good old walk along the beach at a place called, Palomares...the name won´t mean anything, but it´s where the Americans lost one of their nuclear warheads in the early 70´s, I think. Anyway, it did feature in the film " Men of Honour ".

Back to the thread. A van pulls up and two blokes jump out,
they open the rear door and start removing all their fishing tackle. One sets up three rods, whilst his mate sets up four rods. They´ve covered between them a 30 metre stretch of beach. A few minutes later, a third man appears from the van wearing a wetsuit and armed with a very big spear gun. He was wearing two weight belts with four 2kg blocks of lead on each one....16kg intotal, and he´s built like a whippet.
Now, he makes his entrance as both his mates start banging out 4-5oz lead bombs, complete with large nasty hooks.
He had no SMB or brightly coloured tipped snorkel, so there was no way either of his mates would know where he was.

We stayed around for 10 minutes or so before leaving, so we have no idea if anyone caught anything. But I reckon it´s a new Spanish game. Send a mate out with a spear gun, 10 points if you can knock him out with your lead bomb, and 20 points for a hook up. Me... I´d go for the knockout, as the bugger still has the spear gun.

Interestingly enough, the following day...my LDS told me that this area of beach had just become part of a new national park, like the Cabo DeGata...and all spear fishing is now under license in Spain.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scubadog @ April 26 2004,01:09)]A couple of days back we went for good old walk along the beach at a place called, Palomares...the name won´t mean anything, but it´s where the Americans lost one of their nuclear warheads in the early 70´s, I think.
"I don't know what is worse, the fact that we have lost a warhead or the fact that we do it often enough to have a code word for it!" ......quoteish from Broken Arrow.

Back to the thread......

It must have amused people when my brother and I used to walk out of the water in Arran and straight into the beer garden of the Corrie Hotel. There we would sit in our wetsuits, cylinders by the table, until the barman came and haggled beer for scallops.....Ah, the good old days!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts