YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Paul, get Johnno and the ANIMALS team,,,,, it's on the edge of the deep water route in 19 mts of water, I've always wanted a bonnet badge off a BMW......

Andy

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

I heard it was 27m.... Though judging from the news footage it looks like the ship has a beam of 28m :lol2:

Shame some nasty salvage/comm divers are going to move it..... Unless closer to the UK for wreck diving!

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Just come off BBC News 24 and it looks like the buggers are gonna lift her!! Between 19 and 28 metres for her size would have made a top wreck dive - she's virtually branners as well.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Wreckie, funnily enough we were out in the Thames estury Sat speculating. We have a 1 Ton lifting bag somewhere, but i don't think we would be able to get a BMW onto one of our RHIB's even Animal.

Some clown has driven into her this morning as well. Maybe a repeat of all those ships crashing and sinking that caused the shipping lanes to be set up in the 70's.

Paul

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

The 1 ton bag (plus activating all the air bags for a laugh!)should lift a 3 series,maybe even a 5.Just use some 5 gallon drums and lots of ponies!
On a more serious note,once they've lifted em',give it a couple of months then watch out for "special offers" at your dealers...and cheap luxury cars(imported from Atlantis...tax free)probably with intermittent electrical faults and a radio active Cod in the boot!Don't think I'd lke to try and "dry out"a fully loaded new car.
Regards,Hobby.

(Edited by Hobby at 12:50 pm on Dec. 16, 2002)

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

The cars will all be lying on top of each other. The supports are only meant to stop them sliding to and fro, not a full 90 degree list. I reckon the salvys will remove the buggies, shove them to one side, and try and lift the vessell. This would make it easier for you to recover a knackered car, but it would still be a fun dive.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Shocking.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Imported post

How about a set of four alloy wheels? You don't even need a lifting bag - I reckon they will still be in good enough nick to get a couple of hundred quid per set - that would pay for a nice diving trip somewhere! Not sure what the receiver of wreck would say...

Matt

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Great Idea Matt but whos going to jump in with all those house bricks we will need to prop up the axels

Mark Chase

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

You can't write comedy like this!!!!

I've just heard on the news that ANOTHER ship, 'The Vicky' has just gone into, and is now resting on top of, the Tricolour in the shipping lanes of the English Channel!!

This comes only days after another vessel, 'The Nicola' (I'm beginning to see a pattern forming here), became ensnared on the wrecked ship.

No doubt HM Coastguards are now predicting that the next two ships to founder on the Tricolour will be called the 'Sharon' and the 'Tracey' and the they'll have the set.

Piss-poor when a country can't afford a set of redion-beacon-buoys to ward off and warn on-coming ships to steer-clear!

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Cant we send the liverpuddlians down to get the wheels off,
its somehing I hear they are pretty good at.
Matt (the other bloody one!)

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

This in today's Telegraph:

" Channel salvage

A deal has been struck with a consortium of salvage firms to raise the wreck of the Tricolor, a car-carrier which sank in the Channel 30 miles east of the Kent coast, said Wilhelmsen, the Norwegian owners."

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

It was agreed a while ago Bren. AFAIK they are going to cut her into 3 parts. It's not so much a salvage operation, more to move her out of the shipping lane. If memory serves correct it's a big U-shaped cable-saw thingy that they pull back and forward beneath her to cut her apart and then lift the easier to manage lumps. It will leave a lot of interesting debris though.

Peter

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Great pity there were hardly any pictures with the cars, I would have liked to see the Luxuary Saab that I ordered looked like after months in the water  

1 - 20 of 29 Posts