YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

If you took a scuba cylinder, filled it to 3/4 or so with water, and then added air until it hit 232 bar... would you have the ultimate SuperSoaker?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Imported post

Another reason to invert?

Dom

·
Registered
22 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>And you would need several Arnie sized blokes to hold and point it as well, unless you're planning on going into orbit!  I've been up close to a cylinder that let go and I almost achieved escape velocity under my own steam; VERY unsettling!  Amused my colleagues though, sympathetic lot that they were....

·
Registered
178 Posts
Imported post

Honestly, I've been thinking along these lines, but slightly different. I've been wondering how I could use my cylinders to increase the pessure on my kids' supersoakers and blitz the neighbours. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Use a pony rig with a deliberately-lowered IP? QR fittings to connect a direct feed to are easy to get..

·
Registered
178 Posts
Imported post

ooooh now here's an idea. I could battle the neighbours kitted up with harness, BP and pony (trouble I haven't got a pony - yet). I'll need a bigger water tank though ... Hmmm... thinking caps on

·
Registered
118 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (frogkick @ Mar. 04 2004,15:54)]ooooh now here's an idea. I could battle the neighbours kitted up with harness, BP and pony (trouble I haven't got a pony - yet). I'll need a bigger water tank though ... Hmmm... thinking caps on
Those really big bottles of coke hold a lot of water, and either industrial air-line, or in a pinch the stuff you use for fish tanks will normally hold.  I used the CO2 cartridge from a soda stream so that I didn't have to do pressure regulation to stop the bottles bursting.  Rego toggle valves have a good throughput.

Have fun.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>I have NO IDEA what you're talking about (Technically inept me!), but I want one!

Woz? help!

Juz

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

If you filled up a coke bottle from, say, 20m and then let it go - would the air expansion make it break the surface like a rocket and carry on up a good distance?

Incidentally - are CO2 carts a 3/8 fitting..?

·
Team Starburst
5,275 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>I like the concept with the coke bottle, best to fit some fins to ensure a upwards ascent plus some ballast to ensure the nozzle points down.
I am Stoney tomorrow. If anyone happens to see a small green bottles popping up from the bottom, please do not be alarmed.....mind you, how will I see the result, ideas anyone?

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Imported post

Get an old backplate and fix the cylinder to it. Attach a first stage with an air gun and push its nozzle firmly into a length of tough, flexable hose. Put the hose into the top of a shatter proof, air tight container thats half full of water. Fix a second tube which runs from below the water line out... this is where the water comes out. When you press the air gun button the water container will pressurise above the water sending it out through the other tube... giving you a grownups supersoaker.

If you really wated to be a geek you could always fit some kind of pressure sensor into the water container and fix it so a hose fills it up to keep the water at the same level (ish).

Anyone fancy having a go at building one?  

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rasilon @ Mar. 05 2004,16:05)]Those really big bottles of coke hold a lot of water, and either industrial air-line, or in a pinch the stuff you use for fish tanks will normally hold.  I used the CO2 cartridge from a soda stream so that I didn't have to do pressure regulation to stop the bottles bursting.  Rego toggle valves have a good throughput.

Have fun.
The 2 Litre coke bottles do hold plenty of water, I can also tell you that as long as you plumb all fittings through the lid they work fine at the 10Bar that your first stage provides. (2 litre coke bottles are good for approx 180-190 PSI, and then they start to stretch)

Simon A

====Edited due to confusing PSI with BAR the first time (obviously I need more beer!)====

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>I don't know about coke bottles, but you know the little panda pops bottles, apparently if you fill them with air at 30m then put the lid back on, let them go they explode on hitting the surface

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Here's one that some of grils here would like.

Take down one of those, ahem, 'inflatable ladies' and blow it up at depth.  Release and then let it go.  You then have a blowing-up blow-up doll.

But I like the super-soaker idea better.  I can just see it....YD supersoaker battles at the next gig.   Coooooollllll.  You can just imagine it, 40+ loonies running around in harness / bp with attached ponies soaking the hell out of everything that moves - no drysuits allowed, only white t-shirts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Greetings,

I used to do that trick for PADI Advanced students when down at 30 m to demonstrate the effects of pressure.  Fill a 2ltr coke bottle at surface tie it off to my BCD and off ya go.  By the time you get to 30m it is as flat as a pancake.  Then fill her up with 4ats of air.  If you can remember to keep hold of it then by the time you surface it is as hard as rock!  Good game.  In the few times I did loose it I never saw if it burst out of the water like a polaris, but I am sure it would.  Quite often it would let go with an almighty bang and scare the bejesus out of all concerned.  Fresh eggs are good at that depth as well, if you crack them carefully and pull the shell apart the pressure maintains the shape of the innards in a perfect circle and the fish like it too!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Imported post

Possible Easter diving trickthere, perhaps..?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>the smaller coke/tango  bottles are an aid when shot needs to be secured to wreck, fits in pockets of first pair down, little squirt of gas and voila! bottle comes up , rest of the divers go down.
                    mike marsh

1 - 19 of 19 Posts