YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

We are extremely pleased to announce that The View, our new Café Bar complex, will open at the National Diving & Activity Centre in Chepstow on Friday 6th April 2012 (Good Friday) at 7am.

With breathtaking views overlooking our Chepstow quarry, the View Café Bar will serve an extensive range of hot & cold meals as well as a wide selection of beers, wines and soft drinks from the licensed bar. We also have two very posh coffee machines that make a lovely freshly ground coffee, perfect to prepare you for a morning dive.

As a little thank-you for your support, We are offering all residents staying in our Wooden Wigwam Accommodation a 10% discount on all food for the duration of your stay. So after a long day of activity at the NDAC you will be able to relax into the evening with a cold beer and a delicious meal. :beer:

Full Story>

Thanks to all our visitors for your continued support and we look forward to seeing you in The View Cafe Bar very soon.

·
Ex-Member
2,180 Posts
With breathtaking views overlooking our Chepstow quarry, the View Café Bar will serve an extensive range of hot & cold meals as well as a wide selection of beers, wines and soft drinks from the licensed bar. We also have two very posh coffee machines that make a lovely freshly ground coffee, perfect to prepare you for a morning dive.

So after a long day of activity at the NDAC you will be able to relax into the evening with a cold beer and a delicious meal. :beer:

Was there yesterday, my thoughts/reactions:

1) Have to give the coffee a thumps down
2) Only seemed to be one bus running, long wait to get back up, drivers seemed to be in the cafe pulling pints!
3) Can't see them allowing divers in there dive gear (for long) as it'll trash the place, they need an external serving hatch as the do at Stoney
4) Burgers etc where freshly made, when the van was there. Now they seem to be pre-prepared & sit in trays under a heat lamp instead

Overall I wasn't impressed by these changes & with the bridge toll going up to £6 if coming from London. I'm think I'll be less inclined to go to Chepstow in the future.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have to admit, that the bridge toll and the wait for the busses is a pain, especially as they should drop you at the lower area, also a couple of lifts to exit the water at the tech end would not go a miss, like on the channel dive boats. operated with compressed air would be easy enough to set up. one of the biggest causes of bends is exertion in the first hour after the deep dives, and even if you take your stage off doubles weigh a fair bit.

also how about some stuff in the deeper end to look at? couple of skips, cars, bikes, tank etc nothing you can enter as to deep but something to see rather than stone and mud and some concrete filled barrels at the bottom of the free divers line.

still a great place and i would not not go there, give it a try some time.

·
Ex-Member
2,180 Posts
also a couple of lifts to exit the water at the tech end would not go a miss, like on the channel dive boats. operated with compressed air would be easy enough to set up. one of the biggest causes of bends is exertion in the first hour after the deep dives, and even if you take your stage off doubles weigh a fair bit.
LOL - de-kitting in the water & climbing a short ladder is good for you & a good skill to learn. Too many divers seem to be loosing the technique for climbing spine ladders! Don't think Loyal Watcher should have fitted one. And who'll operate it? Don't see them having someone there all the time, you'd have to float there for 15mins waiting for some bod to turn up!

...at the tech end
Not really a tech end any more. Now there is a boat at 40m, you've got lots of scuby types doing there PADI Deep Wreck specialty. Just waiting for the day when one of them drifts down to 60m on air when they c*ck up there buoyancy up or get narc'ed; accident waiting to happen.

Manners seem to have gone out of the window lately, seen a PADI instructor blocking the exit ladders while giving a group de-brief with students in full kit (let them de-kit, then debrief them away from the entry/exit). Also divers now leave there kit on the benches between dives - DON'T DO THIS. Stack you kit on the floor so other divers can use the benches to kit up for a dive & more importantly for divers who have just exited the water can sit down & de-kit.

·
Account Deleted
750 Posts
Ok so NDAC has a few teething problems with the new cafe, they will sort that out look at other places they have been open years and still cant get it right.
Kit left on the kitting up benches thats us as divers that need to put an end to that problem maybe a word in the ear of divers seen leaving stuff and blocking areas would be a good start.
If your waiting for a bus to take you back up for those that dont know there is an interecom on the hut situated on the pontoon, just press the button and ask.
As for the staff they realy are the best of any inland dive site in the country, take Neil he will fill your cylinders with any gas you require in a matter of minutes, nowhere else will do that unless its air even stoney dont do nitrox at weekends.
Take the entrance if your a member its £10 entry that compared to other sites is the cheapest and best value for money.
I for one have a 400 mile round trip to go to NDAC but would rather go there than stoney which is half the distance.

·
Ex-Member
2,180 Posts
Kit left on the kitting up benches that's us as divers that need to put an end to that problem maybe a word in the ear of divers seen leaving stuff and blocking areas would be a good start.
I do ask/suggest, but you can't if there not there. Have also mentioned to the staff... maybe they need some signs.

·
Account Deleted
750 Posts
I do ask/suggest, but you can't if there not there. Have also mentioned to the staff... maybe they need some signs.

Pick the left kit up off the pallets and chuck it in the water they wont leave it there again, maybe that might be abit to upsetting for some people to handle, lol, signs might work if people can be bothered to read them.

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Not really a tech end any more. Now there is a boat at 40m, you've got lots of scuby types doing there PADI Deep Wreck specialty. Just waiting for the day when one of them drifts down to 60m on air when they c*ck up there buoyancy up or get narc'ed; accident waiting to happen.

QUOTE]

many have been lucky so far - a year or so ago we were at around 55m, grossly over equiped and gassed of course, and there was a group beneath us on singles - they were alright though, they all had ponies. :)

·
Keyboard Worrier
4,155 Posts
There WERE some signs on some of the benches, and one of the fellows wandering about enforcing it when i was there last Novemberish.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Was there on Sunday and I really like the facilities. There is a large decked area outside with metal tables and chairs which looks over the quarry which I'm sure is going to be great once the weather gets warmer. There are more tables outside under the cover of the building, so shelter if it rains, but you don't want to go inside.

Inside the place is great! To the left is a large plastic floored area with lots of tables and benches which you can sit on wearing wet kit. They offer breakfast, lunch and dinner, with lots of choice on the menu. My diving buddy had a roast dinner – a good size portion for £5.95! Plus the big plus was it was actually nice and warm inside! After we had done our two dives and packed all the wet kit away, it was then into the café for a pint or two! It was all very civilised :)

I think they are also bringing in a new system for members where they can run up a tab for things just by swiping their members card. Considering that the quarry for me is under an hour, has a huge carpark (and thus doesn’t require getting up at stupid o’clock), lots to see, depths for all levels, and now the new café + bar, IMO it’s my favourite quarry! Oh and it helps that you can (at the moment) cross the bridge on the way back free :)

·
Riddle me this...
403 Posts
I think its a great place. We went (as a club) recently and stayed over in the Wigwams. BBQ and watched the sun go down. Good times. We got a number of divers through various outstanding training and progressed some depth.

There were 3 LDV vans running and we never waited more than a couple of minutes.

The kitting up area was busy (Mark Powell was training and his student climbed out with all his stages on - I slid my gear to one side and helped him off with a stage. Not hard to help is it). The guys came down and stacked a few more pallets but there was a little room or people to help if you asked a fellow diver...

Next day it was busier still so we jumped in from the next point inwards and came out at the deep point.

On another note, we surfaced after a deep one (we had swum off the deco going back and forth at 6M) and the boat was on us in seconds checking if we were OK (we were - we just hadn't bothered with a DSMB). You dont get that at Dotty...

Cafe looked great but wasnt open. Looking forward to going back. Its an ideal place for working up dives in preparation for a deep wreck trip but equally good for doing a shore rescue (which we also did).

·
Ex-Member
2,180 Posts
Take the entrance if your a member its £10 entry that compared to other sites is the cheapest and best value for money.
The entrance fee has to be kept down to adjust for the bridge toll. I'm a member so i pay £10 on the gate plus the £6 bridge toll; so in total £16.

Stoney as a non-member costs £18 & no bridge tolls to pay, as a member it would be less. So Chepstow is comparable with Stoney, obviously if you don't need to use the bridge to cross river seven it's a different story.

Distance/travel time for me is the same.

Chepstow's USP is depth, no other reason to go there. If I just need to check kit or practise a skill I'd go to Holbough Lakes (cheaper & closer). Posh cafes is an irrelevance...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts