YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

The way ALL dive centres should be

536 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Frog 
#1 ·
Imported post

Hi Everyone.

Just back from a weekends diving at Oban (some may remember my posting after my last weekend at Oban and the abuse we received from a certain dive centre namely PUFFIN).  Anyway, this time we avoided the aforementioned centre, we camped at Oban Divers.  At all times during our stay the staff, Dave and Mike Tye, were friendly and helpful.  While in the shop Mike answered all our trainees questions with sound knowledge about diving in the area and was very helpful in showing them how to operate the self service compressor (even when Damien forgot to close off the feed tap before purging the system and nearly emptied their air bank,  OUCH!!!).   After the last dive on the Sunday we headed to the public slip at the Lifeboat station to retrieve the boat (as 'a bunch of freeloaders' we decided not to use the one at PUFFIN).  The boat was taken out the water and parked at the top of the slip whilst we secured it for the road home.  This done Guy jumps into the LandRover ( a 42year old Series 2) and BANG!!!!!  one of the halfshafts chucks it.  The result was an immobile Landrover.  At this point Mike Tye appears in his 4x4 to retrieve his own RIB and enquires as to the problem and asks if we need any help.  We thanked him and told him all was OK as my vehicle could tow the boat.  Mike takes his boat out the water, drops it off at Oban Divers and then comes all the way back to the slip with his 4x4 to offer help.  He even offered to tow the RIB up to the Dive Centre where he said we could store it until we could get it home, he also offered the centre as a place to keep the Landrover until we could organise a recovery of it (Bank holiday weekend and all that).  In the end I managed to tow the boat back using my Berlingo Multispace and Guy went back to Oban on the Monday and replaced the half shaft, but what brilliant service from Oban Divers, they have managed to restore my faith in human nature.  Oban Divers provide a firstclass service to ALL visiting divers and I have never heard anyone ever complain about them, unlike certain other centres who are only out to ripoff the unwary.

Many thanks to Mike, Dave etc for a great weekend.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.