YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

My May edition of Diver arrived at the weekend. There was an article on diving from Brighton - where I go diving from. Why mention this? Well, you see, it's fame by association.

Sad? Well, yes, I am.

Anyway, to my true reason for this post. There is an article by the woman diver from the series Wreck Detectives. As with a lot of other people I have previously commented why don't they use EANx or twin sets etc OR what do you mean conditions are too rough (as in I'd be glad to go diving in that).

Anyway, this article starts off really well, (she explains) "we took on board comments about using nitrox and for the next series ....... blah blah blah ..................... she will be doing a 60 mtr dive and so had to a normxic trimix course." I am feeling a warm glow of diving camaraderie with her when she mentions :-

"...... and having to deal with vicious conger eels".

I searched for a hint of a piss take but ....

FFS - all ruined.

·
For the dives where one helicopter isn't enough
1,682 Posts
Imported post

We dived with some of the people featured in the 1st series, and their general comment was that the Wreck Detective lot were even bigger numpties than they seem on TV.  

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (warmwaterdiver @ April 21 2004,14:03)]yeah, but I thought everything was AMAZING or FANTASTIC
No arguements with you there - IMO EVERYTHING involving diving under water is amazing and fantasic.

I suppose it is good for a non diving audience if the commentator keeps stressing how deep/how dangerous/how rough etc, BUT, for the most part that is just average UK diving and nothing difficult.

I wouldn't mind so much if they just admit conditions are not good enough to shoot a good film or operate the equipment under water.

[EDIT] I will be watching the next series.

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

I loved hearing one of them complain about the poor viz as they plummited from the surface straight into the silt! PML  

I wonder if they ever read these boards?

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Darren A @ April 21 2004,15:41)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mdemon @ April 21 2004,15:31)]I wonder if they ever read these boards?
Doubt it. They probably have work to do!!    
CALL THAT WORK !!!!!!!!!!!

I take your point though. It's a good job I'm my own boss or I'd have to give myself a severe talking to today.  

·
Liberal Lefty
1,694 Posts
Imported post

I liked the series, but it did over dramatise things slightly.  The vis out of weymouth on Sunday (at 30m) was much worse than when they couldn't dive.

I also liked the fact that they always emphasied the depth no matter what it was:

'Welcome back to Wreck Detectives.  Bob (or whatever his name is) is currently thirty feet under the waves scratching his arse waiting for me to stop doing this narration and get in the bloody water'

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

The "dive expert" Jason did write and defend the show on HBnet once.....

I don't think he won....

·
Banned
1,728 Posts
Imported post

I dont have a telly! Only coz I'd spend hours watching crap and not doing anything constructive!! So is this programme THAT bad? if anyone has any episodes on their computer (fat chance) I'd like to see it!

On another note, can anyone remember what she was wearing during the programmes? No im not a perve, she has asked if I would send her some freebie gear!and I just wondered if it would be worth the coverage?

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I supplied them a safety boat & crewman for the day when they were doing the Sterling Castle on the Goodwins.

I couldn't wait to pack my mate off and go home to bed .

PERSONALLY, never seen a shower of shit divers in all my life.. came from clear , warm , calm waters .....

Saw one of them sea sick in Ramsagte harbour sat on the boat on a sunny day , boat rocked a bit from the wake of a passing yacht
   OFF COURSE , i did have to laugh.  LOUDLYYYYYYYYY

Plus they refused to let me dive, as my rates were to high, so god knows what they get paid

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

But she does have a face for television....

I saw another program (archeology based) on some channel or other with the girl from wreck detectives. It is good to see that some things in life remain CONSISTENT the narration was exactly the SAME

1 - 14 of 14 Posts